GAO: 70% of Firearms Seized in Mexico Came From USA

http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-16-223

rId16_image2.png

Its for the Children....I would love to read Holders ESSAY!

Maybe Mexico has a problem enforcing their border. If it's a problem then they should fix it.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe Mexico has a problem enforcing their border. If it's a problem then they should fix it. Also should sue Obama for international gun running. I would support this.

Again, "Of firearms that are traced by ATF." On a quick skim, I couldn't find the percent of firearms that were seized by Mexican authorities in busts related to drug trafficking and subsequently submitted to ATF for tracing. I can imagine they wouldn't bother if it didn't look like the firearm was either manufactured in or originally imported to the US.

Fast and furious failed to give obama the justification he needs for the war on guns. I wouldn't put it past mexico to conspire with obama and run the same guns multiple times to pad the numbers. Their president is as anti gun as they come.

And get ready for gun-part control:

U.S. and Mexican law enforcement officials also noted a new complicating factor in efforts to fight firearms trafficking is that weapons parts are being transported to Mexico to be later assembled into finished firearms, an activity that is much harder to track.

Again, "Of firearms that are traced by ATF." On a quick skim, I couldn't find the percent of firearms that were seized by Mexican authorities in busts related to drug trafficking and subsequently submitted to ATF for tracing. I can imagine they wouldn't bother if it didn't look like the firearm was either manufactured in or originally imported to the US.

Ding Ding!

This is a bogus stat that Hillary and Holder were trumpeting at the time. As you pointed out the key phrase is "seized in Mexico and traced from 2009 to 2014 originated in the United States."

The "traced" part is the important qualifier that most rubes won't pick up on. Many nations where firearms originate from do not require serial numbers to be applied. Therefore, the majority of the recovered firearms are not traceable. The majority of traceable firearms, not surprisingly, are from the United States.

Not sure how these a$$holes can say $hit after F&F?!

This is all just more propaganda to blame the failed drug war and corrupt Mexican govt's disaster on law-abiding Americans!

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly. This is more propaganda. Why would ATF waste their time tracing weapons that they didn't already believe to be from America. Red Herring.

At least NPR sorta gets it right:
NPR said:
The figure, based on data from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, represents about 70 percent of the 104,850 firearms seized by Mexican authorities that were also submitted to U.S. authorities for tracing.

Now they just need to acknowledge that fewer than 20 percent of weapons confiscated in Mexico comes from the United States, and that the report will always be inaccurate because Mexico only contacts BATFE when a gun shows markings indicating manufacture/import in the United States.

I just wanted to repost this tidbit, there was a Wikileaks document from the American Embassy in Mexico where the staff there were questioning the "90%"
statement, saying there is no way to verify it.

MEXICO CITY — Seeking to ease a cross-border relationship strained by drug trafficking, Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton arrived here Wednesday and offered the clearest acknowledgment yet from an Obama administration official of the role the United States plays in the violent narcotics trade in Mexico.

“Our insatiable demand for illegal drugs fuels the drug trade,” Mrs. Clinton said, using unusually blunt language. “Our inability to prevent weapons from being illegally smuggled across the border to arm these criminals causes the deaths of police officers, soldiers and civilians.”

This is the quote from the US Embassy staff in Mexico, as seen in the Wikileaks documents, which shows that they
could not back up Hilary's lying propaganda:

From https://wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/09MEXICO3114_a.html

Comment. Claims by Mexican and U.S. officials that upwards of 90 percent of illegal recovered weapons can be traced back to the U.S. is based on an incomplete survey of confiscated weapons. In point of fact, without wider access to the weapons seized in Mexico, we really have no way of verifying these numbers. Joint efforts to develop intelligence that can serve the impetus for investigations and prosecutions of individuals or companies that market firearms to the cartels, will require Mexican and USG law enforcement agencies to share essential crime scene forensic information on a real time basis. Post law enforcement agencies will continue to work closely with their Mexican counterparts to break down institutional divisions and facilitate more information sharing on arms trafficking cases both among the Mexican agencies and with U.S. partners. . . . .

She is a pure liar and should be in jail for subverting the constitution, not running for office.

Question all "facts" coming from this administration. All posters above have it right on. Many (most?) of these firearms traced to U.S. manufacturers were likely supplied to the Mexican armed forces or police agencies. That they omitted this "inconvenient truth" is just further evidence that they have massaged this data for political purposes.

My wife worked for GAO this summer in Boston. It is somewhat of a research arm of the government. It had been part of the Audit group back in the day but now is its own organization. Largely what they research is determined by questions posed by Senators or Reps. This particular study was a followup to a 2009 report on gun trafficking on the Mexican border, this was the updated snapshot. GAO is rather independent, it takes its question and then goes out to research however it chooses and reports back. I don't consider them a mouthpiece of the government.

Back
Top Bottom