• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Games rifle shooters play

Hey everyone........new to site and thought Id ask a general question.

What games do your clubs put on for the shooters?

Whilst residing in Muskegon Michigan, I belonged to Holton Gun Cub,A nice little club catering to the benchrest crowd .Besides the 20 or so covered benches where the NBRSA shoots were held, they had a 3 bench covered line adjacent to the clubhouse.
Backstops at 75,100 and 200 yds.

We held Sunday shoots about three times a month.

Classes were: *75yd rimfire-stock rifles w/ 6.5x max scopes

*100 yd hunter-stock 25 cal + up w/6.5x max

*200 yd Factory Varmint-stock-any cal,stock gun,
9x max
*above stock classes were limited to original stocks,actions,barrels,and a min of 3 lb trigger pull**

200 yd bench gun- no limits cept the 9 x scope

Targets varied weekly ..... cherry tomatoes, eggs , spoons , small potatoes , golf balls ,small balloons, pingpong balls,etc,etc and all hung on about a 6-8" piece of packing tape ,(swinging with the wind)[wink]....attatched to a cable strung accross the front of the backstop.
You shot off of sand bags......front only.Supporting the rear with your hand(no stock allowed to touch the bench)

As you walked into the clubhouse Sun morn about 9-10 am you payed $5 for each class you wanted to shoot ( Many shot multiple classes), And then drew a # (one for each class)as to your order " at bat".

The range was open for people to sight in at a dozen or so targets ( sheets of cardboard each with a dozen or so 2" square pieces of flourecent tape applied) and then at 11am the range went cold while the targets of the day were hung.

Two range workers then started in order setting the shooters rifles on the bags, the range master would call over the PA who was up while the next shooter sat down at his rifle..."on deck".The master also announced what class that shooter was shooting in.The range worker would chamber a round and lock the bolt when that particular shooter was up.The shooters never handled the rifles ,except to shoot.(unless a rangeworker was shooting.....most did)

The targets were numbered and the shooter would call a # to the worker who would yell the info to the master who in turn announced the intended target.

That shooter then had 2 minutes to make one shot......cold gun at that target[wink] Not as easy as one might think.

We would start with 15 or so targets ,spaced a foot or so apart....when you got down to two......we would close the range to re-hang more.

For every shooter in the class , there was one prize to be had by anyone. ( 8 factory varmint entrys...8 prizes)

100% payout.

If the shooter "HIT"... then that prize was won by him........"MISS", and that prize would go back into the 'pot'.

The rotation continued (top thru bottom)until the prizes were gone for the particular class.

A "POINT" was also awarded for each hit (for end of year awards-trophys) so once prizes were all taken.....the round would continue untill you reached the bottom of the roster. i.e. the prizes might be gone at the middle of , say,the second round.....but the shooters would continue till the bottom off the round's order so everyone had equal #s of times at "the plate" to make a shot (again ....that was for the overall points)

I make it sound a little complicated I know.......but it really isnt.
It was a really fun time and something I looked forward to each week it was held.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom