1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SKS Ray, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Soundwave

Soundwave

2. Dradian

Dradian

I liked the ending....I guess I'm in the minority

fivepak and Soundwave like this.
  3. LittleCalm

LittleCalm NES Member

Couple other notables.

- the scene where Bran was selected as king. Man, seemed like the morning after a party with only the losers who didn’t know when it was time to leave still kicking about. With a bunch of low level characters who had no meaningful role. Just seemed feeble to me.
    - Brienne writing in the book about Jamie. First concept of Wiki? Anyone can supplement the book?
    - Bronn seemed to have no meaningful role this season and randomly showed up at the end around the council table. He was a funny character. Too bad they stopped his main role earlier.

H-minus likes this.
  4. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

On second thought it's somewhat satisfying that the little kid who was pushed from the tower by a Lannister ends up king over all. Too bad it was done in what was perhaps the most awkward episode of the series.

Great ride, not so special destination. IMHO, akin to riding your favorite motorcycle up the PCH in California on a spectacular day, only to end up getting a toothbrush at a Walmart.

5. The5thDentist

The5thDentist NES Life Member NES Member

I learned my lesson with LOST to never get involved in one of these multi-year story arcs again.

dragon-riding-isn-amp-039-t-so-fun-after-all_o_5471855.jpg

Mountain and M1911 like this.
  6. Cur

Cur NES Member

Or everyone's faces after Sansa said, "Yeah, nah. We're gonna be an independent kingdom". A bunch of 'oh shit, that was a valid choice?' :)

I think it was the best they could do to polish that turd which was the last two seasons. And don't forget to set up spin-offs and follow on shows!

It's definitely now in the discussion as worst endings along with "Lost" and "Dexter" of good shows going terrible.

7. BBQ.Uncle

BBQ.Uncle NES Life Member NES Member

And apparently they pumped all the money into CGI and forwent the cleanup crew this season.

Not only did Sam Tarley invent democracy , he invented plastic, too.

A7B26034-0833-4371-BC7C-809F48A31B3C.jpeg

Mountain and M1911 like this.
  8. headednorth

headednorth NES Member

I thought the same. "Oh shit, was that an option? We want that too." Lol

9. TomMontana

TomMontana NES Member

What a ride! That was a pretty satisfying way to wrap it up. The fate of all the major characters were addressed. In the end, Jon Snow did Dany dirty. He leveraged her love for him by getting her army and dragons to fight at Winterfell. Manipulated her by repeatedly saying "you're my queen" and that he has her back. Then stabbed her like Ramsey did to Roose Bolton when he didn't like how things were going, and thus became the Queenslayer. Should put that in the big golden book.

JJ4 likes this.
  10. Matt-CZ

Matt-CZ NES Member

Yeah, that part really struck me as implausible. They are her fanatical, personal army. No way in hell they are going to just hand over their dead dictator's kingdom to the very people they were probably getting ready to invade. Absolutely no chance that Jon survives after being discovered as the assassin.

I actually liked everything up to and including the assassination scene. Lots of very stylish visuals and excellent mood building. Dany's little dictator speech on top of the stairs was 10/10.

After that, it felt like hand-waving away plot to get to a happy conclusion.

11. silversquirrel

silversquirrel NES Member

No ironic twist? No "didnt see THAT coming" scenes? No new mysterious invaders lurking over the horizon?
    Boring.

Breaking bad final episode still the gold standard, then. Sopranos: runner up.

Hetzer likes this.
  12. JRT

JRT NES Member

Arya sailing west seems like a setup for a spinoff.

Mattyweb, M1911 and jpk like this.
  13. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

Meh. That ending seemed to me to just fall flat. Like they simply ran out of inspiration and energy.

14. TomMontana

TomMontana NES Member

The visual of the dragon flying off behind Dany as she walked up to give her dictator speech was spectacular.

[​IMG]

Does the actor who plays Bran have that "look" naturally or is it acting?

[​IMG]

andrew1220 and DarthRevan like this.
  15. dbott63

dbott63 NES Member

Saw something about this recently. He wears glasses with a pretty strong prescription...he basically can't see much of anything when he has them off and he doesn't wear contacts. So he's not faking the look.

16. Bob P

Bob P NES Member

It was OK. Drogon should have crisped Snow when he melted the Iron Throne. $10 that’s how Martin outlined it and they re-wrote it due to fear of the fan’s reaction. The whole “Knight’s Watch” makes no sense w/o the Night King or the threat from the dead and seemed tacked on and as most have pointed out there’s no way the Unsullied and Grey Worm in particular wouldn’t have offed him.

M1911 likes this.
  17. EC1

EC1 NES Member

Would have been interesting, if Drogon did try to crisp Jon and he walked out of the flames, what exactly the Unsullied and Dothraki would have done.

Bob P likes this.
  18. LoginName

LoginName NES Member

19. Hetzer

Hetzer NES Member

I’m with you on Breaking Bad right up through ending with “Baby Blue”....perfect.

20. DarthRevan

DarthRevan Instructor NES Member

Literally the only part of the episode I liked that didn’t leave me feeling “meh okay”

Mountain and Bob P like this.
  21. Bonesinium

Bonesinium NES Member

The visuals and the music score throughout this season were fantastic. It’s just the story it told fell flat, the actions characters took were dumb or implausible. And there was almost no suspense.

And it didn’t have to be that way, and would have only took some minor changes. Most of the problems are a result of where at The Battle or Winterfell, apparently a bunch of people despite being seen swallowed up by hoards of the dead, don’t die. Several main characters and an entire Dothraki army should be dead, but nope, let’s ignore that. They are alive and unhurt, somehow.

And it all went downhill from there.

22. Noreaster

Noreaster NES Member

I know its a fantasy story, but consistency would be nice. Yeah, the entire Dothraki army was alienated in winterfell. Heck there shouldn't have been much left of the Unsullied army either.
    The season was rushed. In the series, there were way too many sub stories developed and they tried to tie up as many as possible and made it all feel unsatisfying.
    HBO.... This is up there with how sopranos finished.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    JJ4 likes this.
  23. VetteGirlMA

VetteGirlMA NES Member

I will admit I came to Game of Thrones later in the series and it required a massive binge watching session to catch up on the story. I had a bunch of people tell me watch it, watch it, you'll love it. I still sat and watched the final 3 seasons of the show. My favorites are the 5th and 6th season of the show. There was some really great storytelling. But this season was a total letdown for me. Jon Snow a man who put his honor and honesty above all else murders his queen over the way she captured the throne. So in the end:

Reason for Danearys Targareyan in the story? Pointless
    Reason for Jon Snow in the story? Pointless

I'm going to be careful investing this much time in a show ever again. At least GOT didn't die a slow death at the hands of SJW screen writers who were more concerned about whether there was an a LGBT person that week than there was someone surviving. That's what I liked about GOT, it was devoid of liberal BS and revolved around a story.

Oh well, at least it's a moment like this when I had hoped that Hodor didn't actually hold the door.

24. FiremanBob

FiremanBob NES Member

I've been thinking about GOT as an allegory about modern American politics, seen from the conservative/libertarian point of view:

Dany is the self-deluded, power-mad "progressive" up-and-coming rock star, sort of like AOC. She revealed her evil self completely in the last two episodes when she destroyed everything, killed nearly everyone, declared her intention to continue her destruction of all civilization from Dorne to Winterfell, and proclaimed that "the people" she presumed to "fight for" "will not be able to choose."

Jon is the essential American, growing up with no name and no heritage and making a success of himself by always doing the right thing. He certainly did not benefit from the "white privilege" of his real parentage. He chooses to join the Free Folk up north, where the political games of the Swamp are scorned. Maybe Ygritte has a sister...

Cersei is, of course, Hillary Clinton. Gregor Clegane is whoever runs her assassination squad.

Theon Greyjoy is David Brooks, or David Frum, take your pick.

Stannis Boratheon is Mitt Romney in 2012, believing he had some sort of mystical mandate and getting clocked for it.

Brandon Stark is either Rush Limbaugh or Mark Levin, take your pick. In earlier history, he might be James Madison (physically weak, towering intellect, highest moral character). Actually, Sam Tarly is probably Mark Levin.

The High Sparrow is Bernie Sanders, surrounded by his Bros. Hillary destroys him.

Peter Baelish is George Soros.

Tywin Lannister is Lyndon Johnson. Ned Stark is Barry Goldwater.

Could the Night King be Obama? Certainly Obama's army of zombies looked alot like the Night King's.

The first Three-Eyed-Raven is George Orwell. Maester Aemon Targaryen is William F. Buckley (ever kind, always quick with an intelligent joke).

Those who indulge in corruption and perversion get what they deserve in the end. There is lots of collateral damage.

Anyone care to add to the cast of characters?

cjrubes, OnTheRoad, Bob P and 2 others like this.
  25. MadatMarek

MadatMarek NES Member

Bran the Broken becomes king and now I can see where handicapped parking started.

falcon123 likes this.
  26. Queen Bee

Queen Bee NES Member

This whole season was absolute shit. I just bought all the books and added it to my reading collection to-do. I hate the stupid writers so much.

27. Queen Bee

Queen Bee NES Member

how idiotic is the show when dany says they are going to break the wheel.. but now the new king has two wheels in his chair........ *Facepalm

buckfarack likes this.
  28. rudiewhitebwoy

rudiewhitebwoy NES Life Member NES Member

I was kinda disappointed with the final two episodes. I would've like to have seen Arya come across a dead or dying Jamie. Not a tough sell since Euron had stuck him pretty good a couple of times. Cut off Jamie's face and find Cerise, and comfort her. Then removes Jamie's face while piercing her wicked heart with Needle. I would've like to see Sandor survive but no big shock he didn't. After Episode 5, I was sure John would kill Daenerys as she was clearly off the rails. I just don't get the sentence of being sent back to the Knights Watch, and where'd Drogon go off to?

29. FiremanBob

FiremanBob NES Member

The "sentence" of being sent to the Watch was, I think, a ruse to make the Unsullied calm down and emigrate from Westeros. The Game players on the new council all knew there was no more need for the Watch or the Wall. But Greyworm did not know that. So with a wink and a nod, Jon joins his real friends.

30. headednorth

headednorth NES Member

They seemed to have been using the Watch as a penal colony to get rid of the dregs of society with the wall doing 95% of the actual work of keeping out the Wildlings and the white walkers. With the Wildlings now on friendly terms and the WW gone, the wall is no longer needed but the nights watch still serves a purpose.