• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Game Feeder

Can anyone recommend a reliable game feeder? I want something that can hold at least a 50lbs bag of deer chow; has an automatic dispenser and won't get chewed apart by raccoons and squirrels. Finally I only want to spend up to $150.00 on it. Anyone have a recommendation?

make one They are simple to make 6" pvc pipe about 36-48" long threaded pvc clean out cap and collar to fit. dowel about 6" longer than your overall height of pipe and cap. 2' x 2' piece of ply-wood. scrap piece of ply-wood little bigger then the pipe you are using. spray paint (flats black, brown whatever)

Tools drill, 2" hole saw bit, drill bit slightly bigger than the dowel, drywall screws, jig saw

cut pipe to length cut a piece about 2" to trace two circles on the scrap piece of ply wood. cut the circles out of the ply wood attach one to the 2' x 2' piece of plywood centered the other drill a hole centered and force the wooden dowel into.
drill three holes with the hole saw on one end of the pipe about an 1" from the end of the pipe space them out so they go around the pipe.
attach the pipe to the circle you attached to the plywood.
Drill a hole larger than the dowel in the center of the clean out cap attach threaded collar to the other end of the pipe
paint if you want

set in the area you want to bring the deer into fill to the bottom of the collar slide the dowel through the hole in the cap and screw on

as the deer eat the corn will fall out and the dowel will stick up to show you your feed level.

I like the analog feeders better than digital because they use an Alkaline 6 volt lantern battery ($6) which last me about 3 years spinning once a day for 5 seconds. The Digital batteries only last about 3 months and the solar panels do not keep the batteries charged very well. You can find this analog motor with a barrel and 3 legs for about $100.00. I have been using these for about 15 years.

This one has the barrel and legs included. All you need is a 6 volt lantern battery and fashion a 1/2" wire screen around the complete motor and it will be squirrel and coon proof. The funnel is built into the bottom of the barrel. Mine are very similar to this one. You will love it. OH, I did have to replace the motor in one after 15 years.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/prod...&WT.mc_id=BingPLA&rid=20&WT.z_mc_id1=02463165

Squirrel guard:

http://www.amazon.com/Moultrie-Feed...d=1456366256&sr=8-16&keywords=squirrel+guards

Last edited:
I like the analog feeders better than digital because they use an Alkaline 6 volt lantern battery ($6) which last me about 3 years spinning once a day for 5 seconds. The Digital batteries only last about 3 months and the solar panels do not keep the batteries charged very well. You can find this analog motor with a barrel and 3 legs for about $100.00. I have been using these for about 15 years.

This one has the barrel and legs included. All you need is a 6 volt lantern battery and fashion a 1/2" wire screen around the complete motor and it will be squirrel and coon proof. The funnel is built into the bottom of the barrel. Mine are very similar to this one. You will love it. OH, I did have to replace the motor in one after 15 years.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/prod...&WT.mc_id=BingPLA&rid=20&WT.z_mc_id1=02463165

Squirrel guard:

http://www.amazon.com/Moultrie-Feed...d=1456366256&sr=8-16&keywords=squirrel+guards

Thanks Joe, I was leaning toward that feeder. Once it is set up. How high would you estimate the hopper is off the ground? Does it require a small ladder or stepping stool to refill it?

Thanks Joe, I was leaning toward that feeder. Once it is set up. How high would you estimate the hopper is off the ground? Does it require a small ladder or stepping stool to refill it?

I park my Honda 300 ATV next to it and since I am almost 71 I fill a bucket full of corn then stand on top of the seat and back deck and pore the corn in the top which is over my head and I am 6' tall. I do this until the bag is empty. You can get at least 3 fifty pound bags in it. If you have bears in your area they will destroy it.

If you are afraid that bears might get to it get a block and tackle and suspend a smaller one from a tree branch where the bear can't get to it Then it is easy to lower it to the ground to fill it. I would try to find one with an Analog spreader, but you can buy the Analog motor for about $25.00 at Academy Sporting Goods or Walmart and replace the one that comes with the one below: ( If you order it from Walmart and pick it up at the store you will save the shipping charge. )

http://www.walmart.com/ip/On-Time-F...de=0000&veh=cse&nextagid=-8646192184563690794

http://www.harborfreight.com/gambrel-and-pulley-hoist-99758.html

Last edited:
Here is another one sold by Walmart. It is the exact one I have with an Analog motor. You can even connect the wires to the electro shock the animals that try to get into it. I don't connect this because it probably uses a lot of electricity from the battery.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/American-...ttery-Solar-Panel-and-Varmint-Zapper/14294936

REVIEW which I agree with. (joseph)

Renewed faith in Walmart service 9/21/2013
Customer review by DBigBaldGuy
5.0 stars by DBigBaldGuy
First off, this this best all inclusive deal for the price you will find for any feeder. The only thing not supplied with this feeder is the corn and some deer. Easy set up and installation; of all the components. all the screws and small parts were nicely packaged. The wiring was simple and easy to connect because the plugs are color coded and permanently marked. Legs are pre-drilled if you want to bolt them together (recommended). The Critter Zapper is no joke! I know you will have the temptation to touch it, just to see if it is working. Fight this temptation with all that you have... Trust me it works! A cordless drill will help set the self-tapping screws that connect the timer to the barrel. This thing is tall, legs are 8 ft, depending on how you set the barrel it can reach 10 foot or more; think about this when selecting your location and when figuring a method to fill it. Timer is great, best timer I have used, not only do you have 16 settings but 1 setting can be used to feed different days of the week, say 7 pm on M-W-F is one setting. I am extra surprised with Walmart's Ship to Home service. I ordered this late Tuesday night, got confirmation at 1 am Wednesday and it was on my doorstep Thursday afternoon with FREE SHIPPING. I am so impressed with this feeder, with Walmart's service I will be buying 3 more very soon. I will have those ship-to-store so momma don't find out about them.

Last edited:
Be sure to do some homework before feeding deer... especially corn.

From: A Position Statement of the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife

- Deer may starve when fed supplemental foods during winter.
Deer require one or two weeks to adjust to new foods

Waiting until deer are starving before offering supplemental foods actually hastens starvation. Stress (related to diet change) is minimized if deer are introduced to supplemental foods early in the winter, when they are still healthy.
Some foods are not easily digested by deer during winter

Hay of any kind, kitchen scraps, or cabbage and lettuce trimmings do not provide adequate nutrition for deer. Feeding these foods to deer can lead to starvation. Deer usually do well when apples, oats, or acorns are given as diet supplements. However, the best supplemental food is a complete horse, dairy, or deer formulation in pellet form. It contains about 14% protein and provides sufficient energy and fiber to promote normal digestive function in most deer.
Deer compete aggressively for scarce, high-quality foods

When crowded together, only the strongest, most dominant individuals in the deer population gain access to the food. Frequently, those deer most vulnerable to starvation in winter (usually fawns) are denied access to supplemental feed by more aggressive deer. Distributing supplemental feed in many locations reduces competition among deer.
Deer reject grains or pelleted foods that have become spoiled or moldy

It is difficult to keep grains dry outdoors. Special feeders, which protect feed from rain and snow, may help, but none are foolproof. Hence, much feed is typically wasted. There are some molds deer may not detect; consequently, they may ingest toxins that can be fatal.
Supplementally-fed deer may die from eating too much feed at one time

Losses of this nature have been observed at winter deer feeding sites in Maine. Mature bucks seem to be most prone to overeating high-energy supplemental foods.

Down here we have found that deer do not eat pellet type deer feed unless it is mixed with corn first until they get a taste for it. We also have very little snow so they can survive on natural browse. They seem to love alfalfa almost as much as corn so I throw a few bails of it out each winter after the season closes in the middle of January. Actually I do not feed deer I only attract them with my feeders.

PS: I hope I have helped my fellow deer hunters. Good luck to all.

joseph

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom