• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Galil/Golani Rifles

Hello,

I'd like to learn more about the Galil rifle.

I've found information on the basic specs (5.56, AK-based, etc.), but I'm a bit confused over what makes it a Galil. For example, would an early semi-auto version imported by Action Arms be considered a Galil, or would that be a Golani like the Century Arms models?

In addition, are pre-ban magazines available anywhere in Massachusetts, and what markings do they possess to differentiate between modern designs?

Hello,

I'd like to learn more about the Galil rifle.

I've found information on the basic specs (5.56, AK-based, etc.), but I'm a bit confused over what makes it a Galil. For example, would an early semi-auto version imported by Action Arms be considered a Galil, or would that be a Golani like the Century Arms models?

In addition, are pre-ban magazines available anywhere in Massachusetts, and what markings do they possess to differentiate between modern designs?

Thankfully there is worlds of difference between a REAL Galil rifle and a Golani hacked together by the untrained monkeys at Century Arms. Some Golanis actually work out of the box, but many have serious problems and make numerous round-trips to Century and still don't work right. Stop by Zero Hour Arms and ask Jim about them some day, you'll get quite an education.

The Israelis designed and built the Galil. Action Arms is one of the importers IIRC. The are an expensive but nice collectible gun (as US Gov't banned import in 1989 so there aren't many in the US), heavy but work reliably.

I saw some pre-ban mags at the Marlboro gun show a week ago. I think they were $35 and they looked to be in good shape. They aren't easy to come by usually but "there they were".

Back
Top Bottom