• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gabby Giffords’ Gun Control Groups Ask Major Credit Cards to Flag Gun, Ammo Purchases

Reptile

NES Member
Gabby Giffords’ gun control group, Giffords, is calling on major credit card companies to flag gun and ammunition purchases.

Giffords posted a tweet Sunday, which said, “The shooters in at least 5 mass shootings have stockpiled guns & ammo using credit cards and killed 145 people. Visa, Mastercard, and American Express have the power to flag suspicious purchases and save lives. Call on them to act.”

The tweet linked to a campaign by another gun control group called GunsDownAmerica.

The GunsDownAmerica campaign says, “Between 2007 and 2020, the killers in at least five major mass shootings used credit cards to finance their deadly rampages. These individuals exploited the banking system to purchase large quantities of firearms and ammunition — and the financial industry has the power to stop them.”

In some of the examples cited by GunsDownAmerica, the attackers purchased their guns and ammunition over a 12-month timeframe, rather than in a matter of weeks or days.

Continues...

This is absurd. Credit cards are not some magical enabler.
Any dealer can as well accept cash or checks.

It's just gun control advocates trying to keep some anti-gun news in the media. "Flag suspicious purchases" of ammo is what, exactly?

Antigunners will just say - yeah, CC companies should do that! Practically and utility has never been part of their harassment agenda.

does that data even go to a CC company? I mean, I could go into any LGS or KTP/BPS and buy anything not a gun or ammo.. does the CC company know what I bought, or is it just $X at Y Store?

There is no MCC (merchant category code) for firearms. The code is what's in a card swipe terminal when a card is swiped at a merchant. The problem with that line of thinking is that if the US banking system created a code tomorrow all a gun shop has to do is sell some rakes and shovels and then they will fall under the home improvement category for card swipes and thus avoid the process. Not only that but often times small businesses buy card swipe terminals from other businesses and so a local gun shop card swipe terminal could have an MCC code that says pharmacy.

Gabby Giffords’ gun control group, Giffords, is calling on major credit card companies to flag gun and ammunition purchases.
Imagine the cut in profits the CC Companies would take from that? Epic.

Hell. I'd refuse to pay my balances and change my address to Gabby's...

There is no MCC (merchant category code) for firearms. The code is what's in a card swipe terminal when a card is swiped at a merchant. The problem with that line of thinking is that if the US banking system created a code tomorrow all a gun shop has to do is sell some rakes and shovels and then they will fall under the home improvement category for card swipes and thus avoid the process. Not only that but often times small businesses buy card swipe terminals from other businesses and so a local gun shop card swipe terminal could have an MCC code that says pharmacy.
Or, just change the Business Description to "Meat Processing"...

I like the way you think. Kudos.

sounds like a profitable business model.. LOL

If banking created a new code for gun shops and I were a gun shop owner, I would pivot the business to something else, like home improvement and guns. So come down for a bag of nails, new drill bits, a new garden rake and an AR15. So if the bank calls and says "Who's this guy Steve who spent $5000 in your store. Oh yeah he bought all of my inventory of rakes. He's got a lot of leaves to rake up. Sucks to be him. Anything else? No? Didn't think so. Goodbye." The transaction shows up as home improvement and who is going to argue that an AR isn't home improvement?

Any system these dingbats can dream up can be beaten trivially without much effort.

There would be a big push back on this and it would take a fair amount of time and lots of money to actually implement. Most CC processing terminals and software are not setup to submit an itemized list of purchased items for the CC companies to track. In fact it would most likely fall on the issuing banks to track this information as they are most equipped to do it given the current state of the payment processing world. It can be done no doubt but it won't happen over night.

Credit Card issuers should start flagging alcohol purchases. Purchasers of large amounts of alcohol are more likely to be drunk and driving under the influence. Red flag! If it saves one life.
credit card companies should start flagging all purchases -as those who buy too much got too much money and should be forced into sharing the wealth instead of wasting it on needless purchases.
think woke.

set a limit of monthly purchases, with a mandatory public shaming of those who dares to exceed the quota.

If it wasn’t for the fake news media you’d never even know these people existed.

You think when you lose for 40 years eventually you stop trying but I’ll give them that.

Their f***ing losers and They know it..

The best they have is Gabby Giffords who has traumatic brain injury from being shot in the head and she still makes more sense than Biden ever will

Back
Top Bottom