• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GA Sheriff Claims Thieves Are Targeting Trucks With Hunting, Patriotic Stickers

A while back, I was watching a video where the person on it claimed he knew which vehicles were most likely to have a firearm in them. How? Easy. They were the ones with an NRA sticker on the back.

Now, this wasn’t an anti-gun activist or someone like that. This was a firearms trainer who was conducting a class. His point was that thieves see the NRA sticker and figure you’ve got a gun and there’s a chance you left it in the car.

That’s what went through my mind as I read this report out of my home state.

Here is a puzzling case out of Fayette County where investigators say thieves broke the window of a man’s pickup truck while at the gas pumps. We’ve heard of cases of thieves opening unlocked doors and sliding into the car. But this time they actually broke the glass to get inside.

Fayette County Sheriff Barry Babb says the victim’s nice truck and especially the Georgia Wildlife license plate maybe why thieves targeted the driver at Quick Trip store on State Road 85.

Thieves looking for firearms are keying in on pickups with hunting or even patriotic stickers or emblems.

“It may say I’m a sportsman and there may be a weapon in that center console,” said Sheriff Barry. “It is something we deal with on a regular basis.”

Now, I’ve seen some folks be somewhat skeptical over this. After all, Fayette County is part of the Atlanta Metro Area. They are of the belief that this is really about trying to keep people from showing their patriotism or interest in hunting to isolate other patriotic folks, to make them feel alone.

Yet, that’s not likely. Sheriff Babb has been in office since 2013. That’s the same year one story about the area referred to him as a member of the Tea Party. I’m going to guess that he’s not a progressive nutjob here.

Plus, it’s not the first time I’ve ever heard of people targeting vehicles because stickers suggest that the vehicle might have a gun inside.

Look, for the thief, it’s a calculated risk. Even if there’s not a firearm, there may well be something else of value so he’s efforts won’t be wasted. Depending on the time he has, that could include the car’s stereo or other electronics that can then be fenced.

Yet all it takes is just one firearm find to make his week.

So this means you have two options if you want to avoid this kind of thing. One is to become a gray man, to be invisible to others as much as possible. A nondescript car with nothing particularly suggesting it as a good target should be pretty safe.

The alternative is simple. Don’t leave guns in your car. Yeah, yours might get broken into, but if everyone takes their guns out of the vehicle, eventually they’ll stop looking for one.

This isn’t rocket science, folks. They’re breaking into vehicles because you’re advertising to them.

Of course, you shouldn’t have to hide your affiliations or interests. If you want to do that, go for it. You should if you so desire.

Just make sure you’re not leaving them anything worth taking.

I don't "do stickers" not because of theft risk but because of profiling, no need to advertise it. Especially not in this shithole state.

-Mike

Yeah, here that's likely to attract a whole lot of attention you don't want, and not just from thieves.

I don't "do stickers" not because of theft risk but because of profiling, no need to advertise it. Especially not in this shithole state.

-Mike
Not sure if it would rise to the level of "probable cause", but I personally don't want to be answering a nervous cop's question about gun ownership/possession during a traffic stop. My wife picks up the girls at school and we don't need that kind of attention there either

The cops will do that too, also with Pot Leaf stickers, etc.

Malodave

Anyone will profile based on stickers on your car, not just cops. I had some antifa type snowflakes in south hadley (caught on camera) vandalize my truck because of an american flag decal on my back window once. They carved a swastika into the glass right through the sticker and slashed one of my tires. Was right around when Trump got elected and people were burning flags and shit. I no longer put anything on my vehicles. I switched back to standard license plates and I use stainless steel security screws on my license plates. I am not a veteran, but I have seen people in the northampton and amherst area targeted/trolled by sjw's because of veteran plates as well.

Anyone will profile based on stickers on your car, not just cops. I had some antifa type snowflakes in south hadley (caught on camera) vandalize my truck because of an american flag decal on my back window once. They carved a swastika into the glass right through the sticker and slashed one of my tires. Was right around when Trump got elected and people were burning flags and shit. I no longer put anything on my vehicles. I switched back to standard license plates and I use stainless steel security screws on my license plates. I am not a veteran, but I have seen people in the northampton and amherst area targeted/trolled by sjw's because of veteran plates as well.
Northampton and Amherst are the Cambridge of the west.

Not sure if it would rise to the level of "probable cause", but I personally don't want to be answering a nervous cop's question about gun ownership/possession during a traffic stop. My wife picks up the girls at school and we don't need that kind of attention there either
Any "observed" motor vehicle infraction is a justified basis for a stop. Then of course, "furtive movements" justify an exit order "for officer safety."

I had an NRA sicker on my Prius and it got keyed in Cambridge with the words F NRA.

yeah.. I had some sort of liquid (likely soda or something) poured on mine for my NRA sticker at the Bass Pro parking lot of all places.. Noticeable as there wasn't a cloud in the sky for rain. People are fcking nuts.

If you have a Glock sticker on your car, SJW's know exactly what the gun you didn't point at them looks like.

With such an accurate description, it's all the the police need to arrest you and confiscate all your guns.

This has happened before and was detailed on this forum...

Sort of...

A gun was shown in the holster which the description of was told of being pointed at the victim.

Although the gun was never pulled, the guy lost thousands of dollars and a year of his life trying to clear his name.

If people know you are a Glock guy, they know how to describe the gun you just pointed at them in rage.

All my guns are pink, but not too many people know that.

I dont do stickers either. Not because of profiling though.

Every time i get a cool sticker i total the car. Or it dies to the point it isnt worth fixing. This isnt once, this has happened to five cars (three crashes and two transmissions).

Just as well, i was always nervous about some clown disabling my car while im out hunting. You can keyboard commando all day about what youd do if you caught someone, but likely youre just in for a long walk.

No stickers here. Besides the obvious vandalism target for SJW's (like the gentleman in NH on NES who was at a cigar bar and came back to his window smashed). Have some driver get ticked at you when they're driving like an a$$ and SWAT you, saying "he/she pulled a gun" (even though you didn't, the cops stop you and ask if you have one, and "guilty until proven innocent".

Back
Top Bottom