• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

G43, Shield

I'm looking for your experience on the G43. I want a striker fire 9MM. I had a Shield, reluctantly sold it. So, been reading reviews on the G43 and they say with a few mods the gun is superior to the Shield. Out of the box, they say the Shield wins hands down. Both are very reliable and have had no malfunctions from the reviews. I'd like to hear from those who have a stock G43. Has it been flawless?
Here's my predicament. The Shield in a IWB holster is still a bit noticeable and I don't like that especially if I'm at work. It's a bit big for pocket carry. I'd like a pocket carry and the only 9MM that looks small enough is the Kahr CM9 (non compliant) or PM9. Would you pocket carry the 43?

I pocket carry the G43 most days, in business casual attire. It is slightly bigger than the PM9, but not appreciably so. Don't even notice it anymore. However, if your pockets aren't super deep the grip may be slightly visible when you're seated.

Too big for pocket carry for me but I am a smaller guy. I have had mine for about 5 months or so. I like it but I have run into one issue. When using ammo that is fatter (124gr FMJ) I have had the ammo push up against the slide stop and engage it. Apparently there is a second generation slide stop to fix this issue. I just have been sticking to the 115gr FMJ ammo and have had no issues. When I get around to it I will swap out for the newer part. I haven't tried any hollow points through it yet.

I have both the 9mm shield and the g43.

Both have been 100% and I tend to run my guns hard before I upgrade them to CCW status.

The g43 feels more easily concealed for some reason but the shield has a full grip where the 43 is 3 finger.

G43 pros

100% reliable with many different types of ammo

100% reliable with taran +1 baseplate putting it on par with shield 7 rd cap also allowing extra finger

Cons

The only Glock I've ever gotten slide bite from, I added talon grips making a huge difference, I think it's just me as I grip any pistol high as possible

Trigger-- I highly prefer smooth triggers and for some reason the saftey on the 43 seems to stick out making it very uncomfortable after 50 or so rounds and its around 8lb break. I swapped out for an agency arms flat trigger and it is amazing.

Mags---this is a toss up I've had some that drop free and some that don't

Shield

Pros

7 round mag factory great grip, feels like a full size gun in small package

100% reliable

Trigger really smoothed out after some usage, was horrid at first

Mags drop with force

Less felt recoil over g43 though 9mm is moot

Cons

Why the hell is everything so expensive for this gun? Trijicon HDs are 180$ compared to 120 for Glock

No reversible mag catch, I'm a lefty

Forget using the slide stop as a release if your into that, I never do but.....

Very faint trigger reset

Overall I keep and enjoy both but I prefer the 43 only because it's more "user serviceable" something breaks on my glocks I can replace anything in 5 minutes with nothing but a Glock tool, try taking apart a shield or any m&p for that matter...it's annoying
37fd148ae0a8ab575dacacb64df30863.jpg

4449ba3060cb7f9541543b3a1be3a8d8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I used to carry a G26 in my pocket! Went slimmer with the PM9 and love it.

To each his own, but I can't see why pocket carrying a G43 is an issue so long as you have deep/wide enough pockets.

I carried a shield for over a year, thought about getting the 43 to replace it but I couldn't justify it over the shield. I got a 42 in a trade and have been carrying that instead, primarily because of the weight difference. If I feel I need to carry single stack 9mm, it's the shield.

I like the shield better, I had 2 43's and even the wife didn't like it.. at the half inch difference its not a big change in conceal carry for me, a little heavier but I feel I get a better grip on the xds than 43, its just too small of a grip for me.
IMG_1451.JPG
43-26-XDS-shield

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
I'm looking for your experience on the G43. I want a striker fire 9MM. I had a Shield, reluctantly sold it. So, been reading reviews on the G43 and they say with a few mods the gun is superior to the Shield. Out of the box, they say the Shield wins hands down. Both are very reliable and have had no malfunctions from the reviews. I'd like to hear from those who have a stock G43. Has it been flawless?
Here's my predicament. The Shield in a IWB holster is still a bit noticeable and I don't like that especially if I'm at work. It's a bit big for pocket carry. I'd like a pocket carry and the only 9MM that looks small enough is the Kahr CM9 (non compliant) or PM9. Would you pocket carry the 43?

The 43 is not a pocket carry gun.

It's a less shitty, less bulky version of what the Shield does. (sorry shield owners) but it's basically in the same class of gun.

If you're looking to shed size you really need to go to a PM9.

-Mike

I had the 43 and couldn't pocket carry in unless I was wearing cargo pants/shorts..everyone is different...CM/PM 9 I can pocket carry...I prefer my PPS m2 over the shield and 43 that I owned an sold...but its not a pocket gun either

This is the 380 realm, i can carry , and run in leggings with a glock 42, because of its lightweight. I cannot do that witg my shield, xds, that are now sold.

I am sure you could fair better with a keltec pm9, or something super lightweight for pocket carry in 9mm, but how fun will it be to shoot...

This is the 380 realm, i can carry , and run in leggings with a glock 42, because of its lightweight. I cannot do that witg my shield, xds, that are now sold.

I am sure you could fair better with a keltec pm9, or something super lightweight for pocket carry in 9mm, but how fun will it be to shoot...
ugHdjxf.jpg

[pics].....sorry I had to..LOL

I don't own a shield but do own the G43. It's only got a couple hundred rounds down the pipe but I haven't had any malfunctions. The 43 conceals easily and I carry it in a crossbreed mini-tuck. While I don't own a shield have shot them and really like the build quality.

I have a Shield and want a G43. I've shot the G43 and I am accurate with both guns. The 10lb trigger on the Shield does not bother me at the range. The G43 is slightly smaller... it's noticeable, especially when hitting the mag release button.

The main reason I'm keeping my Shield is the price. I bought it for $299. The G43 will cost at least 50% more. I really want the G43 though.

I had a shield and didn't love it ( despite wanting too.) I found it hard to control in rapid fire/double taps as the grip swam around in my hand. I sold it off in short order . No experience with the G43 but I did Just recently I stumble onto the Walther PPS. I gave it a try after reading allot of rave reviews. It's essentially the same size as the Shield and G43. Gotta say, I love this thing!! Carries like a small gun, behaves and shoots like a big gun. Trigger is excellent right out of the box too.
Here is a link to one decent review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvORYVx5Gco

Last edited:
I had a shield and didn't love it ( despite wanting too.) I found it hard to control in rapid fire/double taps as the grip swam around in my hand. I sold it off in short order . Just recently I stumbled onto the Walther PPS and gave it a try after reading allot of rave reviews. Gotta say, I love this thing!! Carries like a small gun, behaves and shoots like a big gun. Trigger is excellent right out of the box too.
was this with the Mass trig? I have a free state one and has always been great. I brought the PPS M2 and shield to the range twice to compare and the PPS was more accurate but both trigs were close, shield by a hair better

Loved my Shield with Apex job until I got the G43 and LC9s, both which I find much easier to pocket carry. Now I bounce between the two for pocket carry just to switch it up. My only major complaint with the Glock is the slide bite, only gun of my arsenal of carry guns that I get it on. As another alternative I'd try the LC9s, pro version if you can find one in MA.

shield. and Im a glock fan boy but My daily carry is a shield now

better ergos, larger capacity, better stock sights, abour $150 cheaper, optional safety if your into one

shield free state trigger is mint, I got a killer deal on mine. the Mass trigger is THE WROST trigger I have ever put my finger on

Back
Top Bottom