• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

G43 Night Sight Advice

Hello,

I know this is probably opening a can of worms and everyone has an opinion, but I'm curious to see what other Glock 43 owners replaced their sights with.

I've been debating between TruGlo Brite-sights and Trijicon HD night sights. Right now, I cannot stand the cheap plastic sights on my Glock 43. The sight picture the tops don't level off, the half the front sight needs to be below the back line in the U notch etc. etc.

So I'm looking for advice. It's my carry so I'm being considerate of low light shooting, but I also would like something decent to use during the day which is when I practice the most.

Thanks!

We put Ameriglo GL-743' s on the wife's 43. They were tough to find but worth it and she loves the contrast.

GL-743_New.png

Ameriglo Spartan set for the last 2 Glocks I've picked up. My aging eyes like the giant orange dot, and the rear sight tritium doesn't distract my focus unless it's actually getting dark out. Green tritium in front, yellow in back.

Ameriglo has been good to work with as well. The first Spartan set I got for an M&P spit the orange ring in the front sight out at about 1k rounds. I recovered the orange plastic donut off the bench, so I called them asking what the appropriate adhesive to put it back in would be. They told me to stop screwing around with it and mail them the broken one, and they'd send me a new front. Judging by how fast it showed up they must have shipped it that day. That front is now ~5k old with no problems.

This has been discussed/ debated many times here. My suggestion is to make sure you carry a handheld light or get a weapon mounted light, and train with it as much as you can, even if its dryfire.

This is not to discourage you from buying night sights, but they have very limited benefits in light low enough for them to actually work. Night sights are still a sacred cow that some people are unwilling to slaughter, but thats my experience.

I've done a lot of low light shooting over my career, been to several low light schools, and its rare I rely on them.

I've had to send back the TFO front sights twice to have the dead tritium replaced within a year. The TFX pros have been holding up on another Glock. Really like the orange front sights. At one point I thought about tho XS big dots. Anyone have experience with them?

This has been discussed/ debated many times here. My suggestion is to make sure you carry a handheld light or get a weapon mounted light, and train with it as much as you can, even if its dryfire.

This is not to discourage you from buying night sights, but they have very limited benefits in light low enough for them to actually work. Night sights are still a sacred cow that some people are unwilling to slaughter, but thats my experience.

I've done a lot of low light shooting over my career, been to several low light schools, and its rare I rely on them.

Do you find concealed carrying a firearm with a mounted flashlight to be cumbersome? I have a G43 Appendix carry in a tulster holster and I still find it to be awkward when sitting etc. I couldn't imagine with a mounted flashlight?

many great options. i like mepro 3 dot sights or ameriglo i dot. both are good value. the truglo are ok but not my top choice. the HD's are nice but pricy and I feel theyre a bit bulky/tall.

i dig the XS big dots but I cannot hit anything beyond 10 yards. fast for sure but Im impressed by anyone who can shoot accurately w those.

I will concur, but I took a shooting class at Sig about 3 lifetimes ago. At one point we were using firing under low-light. Both with and without flashlights. I had Big Dot sights. Bank (banks?) Miller had every student walk up behind me while I was shooting. While it was still light enough to see, I was making more successful hits because that BIGASS front sight with the glow in the middle.

I'm not convinced that I need night rears. But something like an Ashley (not the company name anymore) Big Dot is a terrific addition even in low-light.

I can't imagine firing in no-light or near-no-light. At least not, as you say, without a flashlight.

I prefer the ameriglo hackathorn sights. Blacked out rear and front orange/green night right. Fast acquisition

I have the Trij HD orange on my 43. I like them and don't really have any complaints. I don't think you'd find much wrong with them for carry. I also have them on my 27. The front sight is a little wider than I'd prefer on anything I might be taking to the range and shooting at longer distance(20yds+) but for these smaller pistols I don't mind it at all.
With that said, on my larger framed pistols I've really been liking Warren Tactical sights with a 2 dot sytem(yellow rear, bright green front w/white outline). I haven't looked to see if they have them for the 43, but I think in the future I'll be more apt to go 2 dot.

I will echo Stu's comments on the value of night sights. Having shot a good amount in low/no light conditions a handheld flashlight is pretty important and it's part of my daily carry.

That being said I do like the Trijicon HDs.

I will echo Stu's comments on the value of night sights. Having shot a good amount in low/no light conditions a handheld flashlight is pretty important and it's part of my daily carry.

That being said I do like the Trijicon HDs.

There you go. From a dude thats run a hell of a lot more guns than me.

I'll also add 2 more cents about night sights. If we stipulate that you need them in low light, so much so because you can't see your sights.... why would you run blacked out rears? So you can see your front sight, and have no idea where it is relative to rear notch?

I'm not being a smartass. It's an honest question based on using night sights in the dark.

I now prefer ameriglo sights. I mix n match to my preference, the CAP front sight with green tritium and yellow lumipaint and the classic rear with yellow tritium without the white circle outlines. This is the setup I have on my 29 and I much prefer it to the HD's I have on my 43.

I'll also add 2 more cents about night sights. If we stipulate that you need them in low light, so much so because you can't see your sights.... why would you run blacked out rears? So you can see your front sight, and have no idea where it is relative to rear notch?

I'm not being a smartass. It's an honest question based on using night sights in the dark.

You got me. I was taught with three dots and with those three dots I will die...

Because it's easier to shoot at the range with the lights on.
5eJqW.gif

I've had to send back the TFO front sights twice to have the dead tritium replaced within a year. The TFX pros have been holding up on another Glock. Really like the orange front sights. At one point I thought about tho XS big dots. Anyone have experience with them?

I got XS big dot's for my Glock 30 SF. First time I've used them. They are great for quick sighting at close distance, 10 to 15 yards. Faster than three dot tritium for sure. For me any anyway. There not so good for 25 to 50 yard shots as far as X ring accuracy is concerned.
Fenix makes some pretty nice flashlights for your low light situations, at reasonable prices, for quality product.

Last edited:
'bout a year in on my trijicons. For the life of me I can't get them not to shoot about a hand with left at 10yds. They still glow strong and I still prefer them over the stock blacked out rears.

I have several sets of Trijicon HD and HD XR sights with the orange front ring. The orange is easier for me to pick up in daylight, and is luminescent for several minutes in darkness after exposure to bright light. Trijicon makes tritium vials for some other manufacturers including Ameriglo. Meprolight tritium vials are slightly larger diameter than Trijicon, so at night they offer a larger dot. Night Fision is an interesting new manufacturer that allows mix and match of front and rear sight options - I’m tempted to try a set.

Back
Top Bottom