G42 first range trip

First trip to try out my brand new 42 and encountered several ftf and fte with 100 rounds of Winchester SXZ target ammo. I have read about similar issues and at least 4 different opinions on the cause.

Grip not not firm enough on small gun
ammo sensitive
needs at least 500 round break in period
the gun itself (needs to go back to Glock)

I really like the way it feels when it's not screwing up. I plan on buying a few different types of ammo and see what happens. Just looking for any advice from anyone with similar experience.

try more ammo.
if i recall the winchester SXZ has a flat nose FMJ? i would shoot some round nose until it breaks in. four seasons has all kinds of cheap 380 right now.
my G42 has been literally unstoppable. it shoots ANYTHING. it's the only 380 i've owned that i'm willing to put any crappy steel ammo through it no problem. it eats it right up.

of note, there were some issues w the magazines if i recall. if you've got new magazines they should have a small #2 at the bottom. if not you may need newer mags.

try more ammo.
if i recall the winchester SXZ has a flat nose FMJ? i would shoot some round nose until it breaks in. four seasons has all kinds of cheap 380 right now.
my G42 has been literally unstoppable. it shoots ANYTHING. it's the only 380 i've owned that i'm willing to put any crappy steel ammo through it no problem. it eats it right up.

of note, there were some issues w the magazines if i recall. if you've got new magazines they should have a small #2 at the bottom. if not you may need newer mags.

Yes it has some kind of dark coating on it with a flat nose. The magazines have a -3 at the bottom. I am going to stop by fs this week and get some round nose like you suggested. Thanks

They had to update the mags a few times. Make sure you have -02 or newer. It needs a firm hand and can be ammo sensitive until it's broken in. mine runs like a dream now that I have -02 mags.

I bought a G42 back in June and had the same problem. I was getting FTF with every mag and every type of ammo. I had to file down (about 17 light strokes) the slide stop.

If if you you remove the slide and inset a loaded mag, you will probably see how close the nub on the slide stop is to the bullet. That is what I filed down and the gun runs flawless with any ammo.

i know how disappointing it is but I am sure it's an easy fix as mine was. Just google the problem and read for a bit... that's what I did.

feel free to PM me and we can chat.

I bought a G42 back in June and had the same problem. I was getting FTF with every mag and every type of ammo. I had to file down (about 17 light strokes) the slide stop.

If if you you remove the slide and inset a loaded mag, you will probably see how close the nub on the slide stop is to the bullet. That is what I filed down and the gun runs flawless with any ammo.

i know how disappointing it is but I am sure it's an easy fix as mine was. Just google the problem and read for a bit... that's what I did.

feel free to PM me and we can chat.

that sounds like something that would fix itself with a few hundred rounds, you think?

that sounds like something that would fix itself with a few hundred rounds, you think?

The OP can take that route but I already spent the time and money for him. I struggled through a few hundred rounds of JHP and FMJ. I spent a good amount of time shooting and researching the problem and I have the latest model and mags that Glock offered.

I will bet half of my billion dollar winnings next week that the issue is the slide stop.

Probably not. Glock has been fiddling with the design of the slide stop and the top of the magazine.
You can file it, send it back to Glock for a new one, or put in a Ghost aftermarket one.

First trip to try out my brand new 42 and encountered several ftf and fte with 100 rounds of Winchester SXZ target ammo. I have read about similar issues and at least 4 different opinions on the cause.

Grip not not firm enough on small gun
ammo sensitive
needs at least 500 round break in period
the gun itself (needs to go back to Glock)

I really like the way it feels when it's not screwing up. I plan on buying a few different types of ammo and see what happens. Just looking for any advice from anyone with similar experience.

It doesn't need a break in. Try some other ammo, if it's still ****ing up, get it fixed. Mines been flawless, outside of a trigger reset issue I had early on that a glock armorer fixed by putting an updated trigger bar in the thing.

I probably have run 5, 6 kinds of ammo through it without issue. The gun even eats Tulammo .380 steel
garbage ammo just fine.

-Mike

I haven't encountered any FTE's or FTF's in my G42.......yet. But I've only had it a few weeks now and have only put a few hundred rounds through it.

Last edited:
I know 2 people with new 42's that had the same issue as you. FTF, FTE. They didn't work themselves out, they ended up sending them back for repair.

I had to send a Glock back to Glock last year, (my fault) and they paid the freight both ways to and from my home. They also had it back in 10 days. So to the OP. If it doesn't solve itself, then send it back.

For what its worth, I've run 3 different kinds of SD ammo through it and it has not had a problem. Federal HST, Winchester Ranger, and Fiochi Extrema.

Don

p.s. I also shot about 60 fairly hot reloads through it before I tried the SD ammo. I had made up this ammo specifically to break in my Kahr, but didn't end up using all of it.

Last edited:
I have yet to find a brand of ammo that doesn't run 100% in my G42. I've tried Winchester White Box, Federal ball, Remington, and 3 different hollow points with no issues at all. Sorry to hear you are having problems.

-Cuz

Back
Top Bottom