• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

G19 Competition triggers

Rugerfan

NES Member
What trigger/connector, and etc. are you using on your G19/17 for action competitions (Steel Challenge, USPSA etc.)?

Looking for something that provides reliable operation and hopefully under 3# pull.

Changing just a trigger shoe and or connector does little to improve the trigger feel.

This is the best complete kit.
Vanek Advanced GM Trigger Kit

Sure you can piece together everything individually, but you will likely run into issues and unreliability.

Rugerfan, have you ever actually felt a 3# trigger?? I ask that because when I got my Lymann digital trigger gauge I realized that my perspective was WAYY off.

My Les Baer 1911 that had a really really nice trigger that I had estimated at 3 lbs was 4 1/2.

I say this because I have done trigger jobs on Glocks for 20 years that consistently blow people away. Its very effective and costs about $20.

The only replacement parts are a standard Glock "-" connector. (This has been called a 3.5 lb connector and a 4.5 lb connector at different times. Its the same connector. Its also what comes stock in a Glock 34 or 35 and a Wolff Springs (gunsprings.com) 4 lb striker spring.

The labor involves.

Polishing the trigger bar as well as connector on its bearing surfaces,the striker safety plunger.

With the polished parts, the "-" connector and the reduced power spring, my Glock 34 has a legitimate 3.5 lb trigger that is smooth as a baby's bottom and still retains the positive reset. People are blown away when I tell them how simple it is.

There is one HUUGGEE caveat though. This gun is a toy. The 4 lb striker spring is lighter than stock (stock is 5.5 lb) As such, you shouldn't count on it for defensive purposes unless you extensively test it with whatever defensive ammo you intend to use.

I never had a light strike failure to fire with this spring. But that doesn't change the fact that its 35% lighter than stock.

Dare to spend less.

Don

p.s. I watched Dave Sevigney win a major IDPA match with a Glock 17 that he was given the night before. No tuning. No customization. No break-in.

One other thing. I am an absolute trigger snob when it comes to rifles. so I'm not afraid to spend money. But the reality is that for a gun to be sued for practical shooting games, a super light "tuned" trigger isn't nearly as necessary as a trigger on a rifle that is gong to be used on a slow fire course of fire while shooting offhand.

I owned a Brazos Custom 2011 with a 1.9 lb trigger. I couldn't really shoot it any faster than my G34.

Production legal doesn't mean what it used be. Everything is legal now since NROI got lazy and let the horse out of the barn.

Oh so I can finally put a Vickers release on my G34 without violating the protocol? [laugh]

I always was driven nuts about that..... glock extended that stabs you in the hand = legal, glock g17 regular release = legal, unobtainium glock oem slightly extended release that only got sold to LE = legal (even though it might as well be a unicorn) but the vickers part that is similar to this, is not legal because it's
not OEM.... [laugh]

-Mike

I was around during the early days of IDPA, when it was first getting started and the founders would go to all the new meets to train RO's and other officials as well as try to explain scoring and the rules.

I was fortunate to have met Ken Hackathorne at the 1998 Smith and Wesson Winternationals and Walt Rauch shortly after that. Their driving philosophy was that they didn't want IDPA to turn into an IPSC style arms race, with ridiculously sized guns, holsters that were little more than magnets and rules that gave advantage to "gamers" who dumped rounds downrange while standing in the middle of a doorway to get them to slidelock.

They freely acknowledged that some of the rules would seem dumb taken out of context. But that if taken as a whole they were very logical.

And I agree with them. That little vickers part may only be $40. But next its a tungsten guide rod and then its steel replacement frame and on and on and on.

Ken Hackathorne, himself a 1911 guy, said the goal was that someone could get started than no more than the price of a service sized pistol, a holster, a mag holder and a vest.

I think any rule that furthers that goal is a good thing.

At the 1999 Winter Nationals, Charlie Wooley, a master level shooter who was an instructor at the S&W Acacademy won his class with a Value Line model 910 he had just been given that day.

I was around during the early days of IDPA, when it was first getting started and the founders would go to all the new meets to train RO's and other officials as well as try to explain scoring and the rules.

I was fortunate to have met Ken Hackathorne at the 1998 Smith and Wesson Winternationals and Walt Rauch shortly after that. Their driving philosophy was that they didn't want IDPA to turn into an IPSC style arms race, with ridiculously sized guns, holsters that were little more than magnets and rules that gave advantage to "gamers" who dumped rounds downrange while standing in the middle of a doorway to get them to slidelock.

They freely acknowledged that some of the rules would seem dumb taken out of context. But that if taken as a whole they were very logical.

And I agree with them. That little vickers part may only be $40. But next its a tungsten guide rod and then its steel replacement frame and on and on and on.

Ken Hackathorne, himself a 1911 guy, said the goal was that someone could get started than no more than the price of a service sized pistol, a holster, a mag holder and a vest.

I think any rule that furthers that goal is a good thing.

At the 1999 Winter Nationals, Charlie Wooley, a master level shooter who was an instructor at the S&W Acacademy won his class with a Value Line model 910 he had just been given that day.

That's great but this isn't some kind of earth shattering thing I'm talking about here. It's not the type of part you would consider some radical change to
the gun. It's something I have on my carry gun, like, right now, as I write this. [laugh] My hands are not as big as some other peoples, and the side effect of the vickers release is it makes mag swaps at speed much easier. With the stock 3rd gen G17 release, I almost have to flip the gun to drop the
mag at speed.

Of course I'm talking USPSA.

IDPA is a whole other ball of f***ery that I won't even get into, that has even more absurd rules. At least 99% of the USPSA ones I get.

-Mike

I owned a Brazos Custom 2011 with a 1.9 lb trigger. I couldn't really shoot it any faster than my G34.
It works great for me!

Mike, since I think the 2014 rule book, it has been within the USPSA production rules to use an original or aftermarket mag release as long as it does not extend the length more than .10". You would be allowed to use up to .10 longer than the glock extended version that came on gen3 34/35.
With the current rules, you can use any mag release you want.

It works great for me!

Mike, since I think the 2014 rule book, it has been within the USPSA production rules to use an original or aftermarket mag release as long as it does not extend the length more than .10". You would be allowed to use up to .10 longer than the glock extended version that came on gen3 34/35.

And if you can find a way to hide it you can bring the weight up to 59oz with an empty mag. :rolleyes: You can also replace triggers and hammers (externally visible parts) :rolleyes:

It works great for me!

Great, thanks for the info. That effectively tells you how long its been since i read the rulebook.... [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom