• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

G19 and brass to the face.

I picked up a few pounds of 231 tonight. Change up the load and see if that makes a difference. In regards to my 5.5gr Unique loads, by the book they are up there in pressure and velocity, but I'm going to chrono'd them tomorrow to get some tangible data to go off of.

The Apex part worked for my gen4 26 but did not for my gen 2 17. My gen 2 19 was fine once I replaced the internals (stupid NY LEO trigger and fp was rusted to ****) What ended up working for my 17 was a simple OEM replacement of the extractor. I had already tried a number of ejectors.

I'm saying that once you eliminate the simple stuff, Apex has a solution that works for the majority of cases. I wouldn't settle for a gun that shoots brass in my face.

My Gen 2 G17 sends brass to my face fairly regularly, hits me square in my right eye, actually have scratches on my safety glasses from it. Definitely need to get this fixed, where can I order a new OEM replacement extractor?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Range report...

My 4.7gr Unique loads chrono'd at an average 986fps. My 5.5gr loads chrono'd at 1068fps.

What was unusual was that I absolutely could not get the 4.7gr loads to choke. Previously, they needed a rock solid grip. Today, with no change, same batch of ammo, I absolutely could not limp wrist it enough to make it choke. I find that odd.

oh, and Winchester 115gr white box chrono'd at an average 1124fps.

my buddy had a brand new Ruger American 9mm. His Ruger would not cycle my 4.7 loads at all. And it really didn't like the 5.5gr loads either, failing to feed one in five. But ran 100% with the Winchester white box.

so, my loads were wimpy. I can bump that up a tad or seat them a little deeper not to exceed the minimal OAL of course.

i got a few pounds of 231. Looks like it takes up less case capacity than Unique and generally better suited for 9mm. I'll aim for 1200fps.

my brand new G43 ran with all varieties of ammo with zero issues.

Range report...

My 4.7gr Unique loads chrono'd at an average 986fps. My 5.5gr loads chrono'd at 1068fps.

What was unusual was that I absolutely could not get the 4.7gr loads to choke. Previously, they needed a rock solid grip. Today, with no change, same batch of ammo, I absolutely could not limp wrist it enough to make it choke. I find that odd.

oh, and Winchester 115gr white box chrono'd at an average 1124fps.

my buddy had a brand new Ruger American 9mm. His Ruger would not cycle my 4.7 loads at all. And it really didn't like the 5.5gr loads either, failing to feed one in five. But ran 100% with the Winchester white box.

so, my loads were wimpy. I can bump that up a tad or seat them a little deeper not to exceed the minimal OAL of course.

i got a few pounds of 231. Looks like it takes up less case capacity than Unique and generally better suited for 9mm. I'll aim for 1200fps.

my brand new G43 ran with all varieties of ammo with zero issues.

Win231 sucks for 9mm, I couldn't reach what I considered target velocities (replicating decent factory ammo or better) without running max load or over. I tried a ladder chart with like 20 rounds and then stopped using the stuff for 9mm immediately thereafter, doesn't have enough punt. Then again I don't like fluff loads, either. If one is just tinkering around near minor PF floor, 231 is probably fine, but that's too weak for me. I ended up on 4.2 grs of titegroup with 124 gr CMJ bullet at an OAL of 1.155. Probably ran thousands of that through my Glocks with no BS.

-Mike

My Gen 2 G17 sends brass to my face fairly regularly, hits me square in my right eye, actually have scratches on my safety glasses from it. Definitely need to get this fixed, where can I order a new OEM replacement extractor?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

top gun supply in OH ships super fast. im sort of loyal to them.
lone wolf in ID also great.

He (Apex) will give your money back if it doesn't fix the problem.

The Apex extractor fixed my gen4 g19. Their gen4 extractor helped but I still got some btf with WWB and Blazer Brass. Called them and after sending over a couple of pictures they sent me a gen3 extractor. Runs great now, no issues not all!

The new Ejector helped but still a few hits to my sunglasses so I finally changed the extractor with the lone wolf and loaded spring bearing spring with a wolff (stock Glock one will do fine also), total was 20 bucks and it's a lot better, I can deal with it now,going to order another tonight for my other Glock

10000_39456.jpg

Last edited:
Alright experts don't hate, I'm pretty new to this stuff...

I also have the BTF issue, but mine is a little different as the setup I have is a glock 19 with a gen 2 slide on a gen 3 frame. I have already swapped out the ejector to the 30274, which made the issue better, but it still happens 10-20% of the time (have had other shooters with far more experience than I try to shoot and get the same results.) I have even gone so far as to buy the Apex extractor for $60, HOWEVER, they do not make an Apex extractor for gen 2 slides, so I ordered the gen 3. Big mistake, little did I know, the breech face cut is different between the gen 1/2, and gen 3/4, the gen 2 has a 90 degree cut on the extractor and the gen 3 has a 15 degree cut:

2u46nhx.jpg

My question is, does anyone know of a way to get an extractor that will function in the gen 2 slide, or a way to get the gen 2 slide machined with the 15 degree breech face cut so that I can use the apex extractor? I have heard zero reports of this issue on a regular gen 2 setup, so that leads me to believe that there is something different in the frame as well that could be contributing to the issue. Also note that I'm using regular OEM 10rd glock mags, OEM recoil spring, and blazer brass ammo. (And before you say use better ammo, F that, the damn Glock should just work the way its supposed to work)

(Side note for those that are wondering, yes I did try the gen 3 extractor in the gen 2 slide anyhow, no bueno. 100% of casings straight to the noggin.)

Thanks, I guess the solution I'm looking for though would be finding a 90 degree FRE, or modifying the slide to accept the 15 degree FRE.

Back
Top Bottom