1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Furniture shopping

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by gulfmp, Aug 27, 2016.

1. gulfmp

gulfmp NES Member

Fellow NES'ers...I am purchasing a new home after 25 years in my last one. The hi-command wants (mostly) new everything, and sell what we already have instead of moving it, which is fine with me. I have been out of furniture shopping for many years and don't know where to look for the best deals.

I am looking for probably 4 rooms of furniture. I don't want Bob Store quality stuff, nor do i want a second mortgage for new furniture.

I have looked at the usual central mass stores...Rotmans, Jordans, Charlton Furniture, Sargents Barn.

Where else should I look? I am not opposed to southern New Hampshire for the tax savings, but the saving has to be worth the trip.

Any ideas?

2. Enzo

Enzo NES Member

I've bought from Spencer Furniture in the past.

3. FreeWillie

FreeWillie NES Member

Since you're buying that much furniture maybe a Direct Buy membership might be worth it. As a member, I saved over 20K furnishing my home with some top of the line stuff. When you find out how much the markup is in the retail stores you'll be shocked.

4. gulfmp

gulfmp NES Member

I know the markup is huge. Many years ago a friend worked at rotmans and I bought a hope chest under his employee discount and that was 50% off the sticker price! and the company is still making money!

5. Laderbuilt

Laderbuilt NES Member

In the near future I will be looking to replace three rooms of furniture. Living room, dining room, bedroom were do you get a direct buy membership?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. FreeWillie

FreeWillie NES Member

http://www.directbuy.com/

The membership is pricey but if you are buying a lot of furniture and you want high end stuff (stuff you'll pass on to your children), the savings usually pays the fee and still saves you considerable money. After the initial fee there is a yearly renewal fee (~ 150/170). For small purchases it's not worth the buy-in but if you're completely refurnishing it's well worth it. The brand selection is terrific. DB is not limited to just furniture. You can get HVAC, electronics, Jacuzzi, lighting, you name it.

7. Individualist

Individualist NES Member

I refuse to buy new furniture except for mattresses. Most a crap. Anything good will cost a small fortune and lose 50% of its value the minute you take ownership. I only buy quality used or antiques made out of real wood and materials that will outlive me and my kids.

8. FreeWillie

FreeWillie NES Member

Totally agree with you. That's why I ended up with a Direct Buy membership. The discounts on the premium furniture took all the hurt out of buying the "good stuff".

9. StevieP

StevieP NES Member

What didn't you like about Jordans or Rotmans?

I've had good luck with both.

Agree to stay away from Bob's and Bernie & Phyl's.

There used to be a bunch of furniture "outlet" places in the Gardner / Fitchburg / Leominster area. Not sure that's still the case.

edit - found this in Gardner: http://factorycoop.com/

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  10. jd4444

jd4444 NES Member

Search Craigslist for furniture in Leicester. There is a place that sells name brand leather furniture for cheap.

11. LuvDog

LuvDog NES Member

Circle Furniture has an outlet store in Acton. We got a great deal on some pieces there... And they'll haggle a bit when you bundle.

12. gulfmp

gulfmp NES Member

No issue with them. Good selection. Just wanted to explore all options like this Gardner one you linked to. Thanks

13. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

Look at Cardi's. We bought furniture for the Cape from the Hyannis store and it has been comfy and stood up OK with large adults/kids/dogs on it.

14. Brucewillis4316

Brucewillis4316 NES Member

15. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

^^^This.^^^

Custom made/ordered isn't that bad either for good USA made stuff. Look at Cherrystone Furniture in Littleton MA.

My last few visits to Rotmans were not as good as past visits. Can't explain why as they always had something in years past.

16. Nhusa

Nhusa

The Gardner outlets are not what people think they are. The quality is low and the prices are high for what you get

17. bostonasphalt2

bostonasphalt2

Guess I don't see how that matters. If you're going to Rotmans or Jordans for furniture, you are buying furniture you will be using decently heavily. You aren't going there to buy furniture that doesn't depreciate. If you want furniture that doesn't depreciate, go buy antique furniture, but then you most likely won't be using that stuff as your every day couch, living room table, etc.

18. Greg

Greg

There is cheap Chinese furniture,and quality US made hardwood furniture.

If you don't spend a lot of money,you will get cheap Chinese crap.

Unfortunately,quality furniture made here is expensive,but will last a really long time.

Go to Pompanoosuc Mills and Circle Furniture and invest in some quality stuff.

19. Chet0729

Chet0729

When you go shopping pay attention to brand names. I used to deliver furniture part time and there is a lot of crap out there. Get the brand names of what you are looking at and look them up on the web.

Sundeen furniture in Whitensville carries a lot of different lines and the owner, Scott, is a stand up guy, they deliver to Worcester county. If you are purchasing dining room stuff I can recommend the TEI brand. They are middle of the road and I bought a lot of it when I was delivering furniture for my own house and it has held up very well.

Furniture has at least 100% markup and some stuff like Lazy Boy is fair trade so most places cant discount it.

Stay far away from Bernie and Phyls, they have zero customer service. Bobs is low end crap

20. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

Speaking of Lazy Boy... Talk about a company that once produced stuff to last a lifetime or close to it if the fabric held out. Now? Not so much.

I did forget about Pop Mills in Nashua and I think they also have other locations. Nice well built offerings as well.

21. dans

dans NES Member

We have bought a lot of furniture lately. For various reasons ranging from "we've been married 20+ years, we should have a real bed, not just a frame" to "this dining room set doesn't match the room". I've never been one to consider price as the only factor. I'd rather find something used or in the clearance section over something from Bob's or Bernie & Phil's. With this in mind, here are the places we have been buying furniture from:

Pomponousac Mills - They have some GREAT sales and floor models sales. You have already missed the tent sale at the factory in Vermont.
    Jordan's - The only place I will buy a bed from (yes, I have taken them up on the replacement if not happy).
    Ethan Allen - They have a great clearance section
    Circle Furniture - Especially the outlet store in Acton

22. SpencerT

SpencerT

We got our living room set at Bernie and Phyls and didn't have any issues? Got the whole 4 peice set for $1500 on clearance. We've had it for 6 years now and the only signs of wear is water staining from the kids and dog (light sage fabric made since before we had grubby fingers and dirty dogs) this is recent since the scotch guard wore off, we can clean it pretty easy and I'll try re scotch guarding it myself to see how that does.

Anyone have any any experiance with the love sac couches? I like the idea of the modular system since we will have a funky shaped living room once I finish the basement but the price seems pretty high for what it is.

23. Greg

Greg

Almost forgot,I bought my solid cherry headboard/frame from Cherrystone Furniture in Littleton..It's all hardwood in that place,and they have some really nice furniture like a live edge cherry dining room table which was awesome..,the owner will make custom stuff as well.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  24. Chet0729

Chet0729

I would also recommend Lancer for any upholstered furniture. They are another company that makes mid-high end stuff that lasts.

I am always amazed that people dont know what brand furniture they have. People shop brands on everything.

25. Salyeica

Salyeica NES Member

Arhaus. Locations in Burlington and Natick

26. j3ff

j3ff

Rome Furniture in Gardner.

27. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

I've purchased a ton of furniture in the Gardner outlets. But the last piece - my massive kitchen table - was purchased at least 12 years ago. LOL I hear a lot has changed.

28. gulfmp

gulfmp NES Member

I am slowly checking these all out. Thanks for the input from all. I hit a couple over the weekend.

29. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

sell everything you have!? [rofl]

I WAS going to say go to an estate auction and buy high quality furniture for pennies on the dollar, but if she will not take anything other than brand new....you are boned.