• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Furless deer in NH?

Bt74

NES Member
Got a picture on my game cam of a buck that has no fur. Not mange, very even short hair like a Weimaraner. Overall looks healthy, except you can see every tick on it. I would guess most deer are carrying a similar amount of ticks, just not visible through their fur. Thought it odd....then while reading the Hawkeye, I see a picture in the second section, of a guy's 150# doe that looks the same????? weird deer.JPG weird deer2.JPG

Bad stuff. Read this.

No shit? I would suppose that poor bastard will freeze to death this winter?

definitely possible. bucks are at a disadvantage during the winter anyway given how much mass they loose during the rut. not exactly sure how long the mange lasts tho, as it's a mite that causes the issue. that said moose that go more or less furless because of winter tick don't really die (unless it's a calf), but they're bigger.

I'd report it to the Fish and Game, but I also see apples and baiting deer is illegal. So I wouldn't report it also.
Uh..WRONG! Deer baiting is totally legal in NH. Certain requirements/dates and permits required on public property,but totally legal. When you check in a deer, they ask if it was shot over bait. And I will call NHF&G Tuesday to see if I can speak with a biologist.

I'd report it to the Fish and Game, but I also see apples and baiting deer is illegal. So I wouldn't report it also.
Just stop. You don't have any idea what your talking about. From the nh f and g website below copy and paste. Your even allowed two sites if your not a registered guide and more than 2 if you are. There are rules and seasons but baiting deer is totally legal in NH. When I saw the apples I assumed he is a nh hunter....unlike you......who is ignorant and thinks MA rules apply to everyone.

Baiting Rules for Deer
In addition to all other applicable baiting rules, the following rules apply to baiting for deer (for deer baiting season dates, see Deer Hunting Seasons):

• No person, except a licensed N.H. Hunting Guide, shall place bait for the purpose of attracting and taking deer at more than 2 bait sites statewide.
  • No person shall place bait for the purpose of attracting and taking deer prior to the opening of the deer baiting season.
  • Persons holding a Disabled Veteran License or Paraplegic License may bait deer from September 15 through December 15, statewide.

Uh..WRONG! Deer baiting is totally legal in NH. Certain requirements/dates and permits required on public property,but totally legal. When you check in a deer, they ask if it was shot over bait. And I will call NHF&G Tuesday to see if I can speak with a biologist.
They probably would be interested in knowing about these deer with mange. And as far as the bait hater comment.....whatever......some people think their state rules are for all states. Just ignore it.

Just stop. You don't have any idea what your talking about. From the nh f and g website below copy and paste. Your even allowed two sites if your not a registered guide and more than 2 if you are. There are rules and seasons but baiting deer is totally legal in NH. When I saw the apples I assumed he is a nh hunter....unlike you......who is ignorant and thinks MA rules apply to everyone.

Baiting Rules for Deer
In addition to all other applicable baiting rules, the following rules apply to baiting for deer (for deer baiting season dates, see Deer Hunting Seasons):

• No person, except a licensed N.H. Hunting Guide, shall place bait for the purpose of attracting and taking deer at more than 2 bait sites statewide.
  • No person shall place bait for the purpose of attracting and taking deer prior to the opening of the deer baiting season.
  • Persons holding a Disabled Veteran License or Paraplegic License may bait deer from September 15 through December 15, statewide.

Do you need a ladder to get off your high horse? AND I don't live in Mass so take your assumptions and shove them with your attitude. I'm not sure what crawled up your ass and died and made you come out like an a**h***, but take it out somewhere else.

When I lived in NH baiting deer was not legal. I assumed it still wasn't since it's still not in most New England states. I was apparently wrong AND I looked it up when Bt74 posted his response.

Do you need a ladder to get off your high horse? AND I don't live in Mass so take your assumptions and shove them with your attitude. I'm not sure what crawled up your ass and died and made you come out like an a**h***, but take it out somewhere else.

When I lived in NH baiting deer was not legal. I assumed it still wasn't since it's still not in most New England states. I was apparently wrong AND I looked it up when Bt74 posted his response.
Baiting deer has been legal in NH since at least 201m10. A decade at least. My statement that you don't know what your talking about is factual. When you post laws as facts and are clueless on nes.....expect to get some shit for it.

Last edited:
Baiting deer has been legal in NH since at least 2013. 7 years at least. My statement that you don't know what your talking about is factual. When you post laws as facts and are clueless on nes.....expect to get some shit for it.
Yes, your statement that I didn't know what I was talking about, was factual. Your Attitude was entirely uncalled for. I lived, AND hunted in NH for 35 years and it was never legal then So I made the comment as to why I wouldn't call the Fish and Game.

Yes, your statement that I didn't know what I was talking about, was factual. Your Attitude was entirely uncalled for. I lived, AND hunted in NH for 35 years and it was never legal then So I made the comment as to why I wouldn't call the Fish and Game.
I stand corrected......I edited my post. Its been legal for at least 10 years. Your operating on decades old knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom