Funny Picture and Video of the Day MEGATHREAD!!!

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If he had the pintle hook receiver attachment with the proper rise, he'd be much safer than what he came up with, but the biggest danger is trying to stop it once you get it rolling. With virtually no weight on your rear wheels, and no trailer brakes, this is a shit-your-pants event in the making.
There's an umbilical leading from the pickup to the trailer. I'm not sufficiently truck savvy to know if that's the signals or air. Given the cable leads into the pickup truck bed and not down to the bumper, I suspect there's an air compressor in the truck and maybe a manual brake actuator in the cab? That's guesswork - I have no idea. But as much complexity as he went to with the hitch I really wouldn't be surprised.

Are trailer brakes normally braking or normally free wheeling without air pressure?

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
There's an umbilical leading from the pickup to the trailer. I'm not sufficiently truck savvy to know if that's the signals or air. Given the cable leads into the pickup truck bed and not down to the bumper, I suspect there's an air compressor in the truck and maybe a manual brake actuator in the cab? That's guesswork - I have no idea. But as much complexity as he went to with the hitch I really wouldn't be surprised.

Are trailer brakes normally braking or normally free wheeling without air pressure?
The air tank is just to release the spring brakes on that thing, the other brake line (in this case) isn't even hooked up..... [rofl]

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0

Truck and trailer air brakes require TWO air hoses to function properly.
The parking brakes are spring actuated and use a really beefy coil spring inside the brake can that applies the brake.
It requires one air line to release the parking brake, so when there is no air, such as when the trailer is not connected to a truck, the brakes are always applied.
A second air line is required to apply the service brake, which normally works from the foot pedal and/or a hand lever on the steering column.
The other way to release the parking brake is by use of a "caging bolt" in each brake can, when you crank it down, it pulls on and holds back brake spring. This is only used in emergency situations such as when the compressor or truck engine fails, or if the air brake system has a blowout and won't hold air, and the truck & trailer need to be towed with a heavy duty tow truck.

radioman

NES Member
Rating - 96%
24   1   0
Truck and trailer air brakes require TWO air hoses to function properly.
The parking brakes are spring actuated and use a really beefy coil spring inside the brake can that applies the brake.
It requires one air line to release the parking brake, so when there is no air, such as when the trailer is not connected to a truck, the brakes are always applied.
A second air line is required to apply the service brake, which normally works from the foot pedal and/or a hand lever on the steering column.
The other way to release the parking brake is by use of a "caging bolt" in each brake can, when you crank it down, it pulls on and holds back brake spring. This is only used in emergency situations such as when the compressor or truck engine fails, or if the air brake system has a blowout and won't hold air, and the truck & trailer need to be towed with a heavy duty tow truck.
I bet that’s one of your favorite jobs caging those brakes during a snowstorm? I’ve had tow truck drivers have to do it on my trailer several times when I broke down. I felt really bad for them laying on the ground in 1-1/2" of water.

Top Bottom