Funny Picture and Video of the Day MEGATHREAD!!!

OLAK

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have tried to help my granddaughter do her math homework several times and I can't get over all the work she has to go through so she can show how she got the answer. She usually has the right numbers but sometimes puts the decimal in the wrong place.
sometimes I cheat and use a calculator!

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have tried to help my granddaughter do her math homework several times and I can't get over all the work she has to go through so she can show how she got the answer. She usually has the right numbers but sometimes puts the decimal in the wrong place.
I remember in the 60's when "new math" came out when I was in elementary school. The teachers had no idea how to teach it (I went to a two room school house 1st through 6th grade)...my dad with a chemical engineering degree couldn't figure it out. A lot of it was "base number manipulation" oriented...base 8 (octal), base 2 (binary), even base 16 (Hex). I know now what they were trying to do but back then, they may as well have been trying to teach us Mandarin Chinese. That whole new math thing stunted my math knowledge until my dad basically tutored me in junior high (where we saw little to none of this stuff) and I was able to catch up to those in my class who came from other schools where the teachers knew how to teach it (mostly).

tuna

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Common Core is designed to make parents look stupid so the kids are forced to get help from the teacher (government).

My daughter was asked how she arrived at an answer, and she replied “Math”. Thankfully the teacher had a sense of humor.

Top Bottom