Funny memory from work…

cams

NES Member
So this story

sparked a funny memory for me, must’ve been like 15yrs + ago, or somewhere thereabouts.

I was driving to a call down in The Bury, it was early evening, sun going down, I got the blue lights and all going.

As I come around a corner in the road I see an American Flag with a busted pole hanging upside down from its mount and it’s draped on the ground in front of some business or home.

I was immediately like “Oh shit!” and slammed on the breaks in the middle of the road, jumped out and grabbed the flag and was like “I gotcha buddy!” and tossed the whole thing into the back seat, put it back in drive and punched it to continue on to my call. That’s all, nothing crazy, just thought it was funny sometimes the things you do before you’ve actually stopped to think about them. lol

I still have that flag hanging in my screened porch to this day.

On some forum someplace, there is a thread titled "Some cop just stole my flag" [laugh][laugh][laugh]
I think, and I can only surmise because it’s been so long, but I think my intent at the time was to return there after the call and try to make contact with the owner to take possession of it. In my mind though that flag needed immediate assistance so that’s what I did. lol

The call must’ve gone sideways because I never got back to the area and remembered it in the back seat at the end of my shift.

Nice
Ive rescued a flag or two while working, but I dont think I ever stopped en route to a hot call to do it.:D

For several years my commute ended with a walk through the Navy Yard and I tried to time it with the daily firing of the cannon. They also play the national anthem at that time. It was both funny and terribly sad to see the type of people that would just continue their current task vs the few that would stand at attention and either salute or put their hand on their heart.

Back
Top Bottom