Funerals during the pandamic

rep308

NES Member
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I just got back from interning my step mom who died of lung cancer on March 31. It was surreal, 6 people max, me and my wife, my sister and her husband and my step mom's sister and partner, all standing 6' apart. The minister was wearing a mask as he is 70 something. The graveyard was busy digging as they are expecting a rush. I just put a person in the ground today, please follow the rules and let's try to keep the the graveyards and funeral homes NOT busy.

And for the love of God if you smoke please quit for a few weeks until this sh!t passes to give yourself a fighting chance.

Sorry for being a downer today,

Choctaw

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing. There are so many aspects of our lives changing that we aren't even aware of until needed.

Stryker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I just got back from interning my step mom who died of lung cancer on March 31. It was surreal, 6 people max, me and my wife, my sister and her husband and my step mom's sister and partner, all standing 6' apart. The minister was wearing a mask as he is 70 something. The graveyard was busy digging as they are expecting a rush. I just put a person in the ground today, please follow the rules and let's try to keep the the graveyards and funeral homes NOT busy.

And for the love of God if you smoke please quit for a few weeks until this sh!t passes to give yourself a fighting chance.

Sorry for your loss as well - :(

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My wife buried her grandmother due to cancer two weeks ago, and reported a similar surreal experience. I couldn’t even go with her, as there was nobody to watch my youngest. It killed her to see family members in so much pain, and not being able to hug and comfort them.

headednorth

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
My cousins services were a couple of weeks ago. 40-50 people crammed into a couple of relatively small rooms shaking hands and hugging. So far, so good...

Slotheadslim

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

I'm so sorry. My dad is hospitalized and not doing well and I expect I'll be in the same situation soon. Peace to you and your family.

pastera

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Lots of condolences to offer - tough times made harder.
My mom still thinks she is invincible and lives two hours away. She isn't taking a whole lot of precautions - and she's a retired nurse who worked with contagious diseases for years.
Have plenty of people in my life that are in the high risk group - not looking forward to the next few months

RHJJ

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I will be getting cremated, if I died tomorrow they could take the urn at a latter date to the church and a hall afterwards. Unfortunately the wake and burial can't wait until this mess is over.

NickLeduc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Was the 6 person max rule set by the funeral home? Was there calling hours? Sorry for your loss and to be asking these questions now, but very curious.

Matt2109

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My uncle passed last week (4/1 he always was a jokester!). I am handling the arrangements, he is now cremated and on the shelf at the funeral home. Services will be at a later date. The funeral home likes it better this way. They said they would do services as I wished, but were happier not to. Sucks having to drag the whole thing out.

Edited to add my condolences, very sorry or your loss.....

Last edited:

strangenh

NES Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Sorry for your loss. May her life shine brighter in your memory than her passing.

Many of us are thinking of this situation, now. Thank you for sharing it. It's a tough thing, when we have family hundreds of miles away, state police turning away out-of-state vehicles at the border, and one then has to quarantine for 14 days when all hotels are closed.

boscru

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
mrs boscru is a chaplain at a nursing home. lot of tough decisions to make. this is a catholic based facility. holy week, etc. not counting the regular (non-covid) deaths of residents.

very tough times for all.

😢

Slotheadslim

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Was the 6 person max rule set by the funeral home? Was there calling hours? Sorry for your loss and to be asking these questions now, but very curious.
My dad was was hospitalized 3 weeks ago for various medical issues and was in really rough shape. After being transferred to the hospital a second time he was diagnosed with COVID-19 last week which of course has made things worse. I called the funeral home last week that handled my mom's funeral last year to understand the limitations of wakes and funerals now in preparation for what is probably going to happen.

The funeral director is a young guy, very nice and he tells it like it is. He said the state is dictating the numbers. If you embalm someone they are considered to be non-carriers. The numbers are only based on the amount of people allowed together. For a Catholic mass you are allowed 5 people because you have to consider the priest and support staff. For the wake I was told 10 people max are allowed. My brother and I are thinking we won't have a wake or we'll investigate ideas for a virtual wake (I'm still learning what that means). For the funeral it would be my brother, 2 sisters, me and my uncle. They live stream the funeral on the funeral home website for everyone else. I work in software and while this approach still sounds weird to me it makes sense and if it gives people relief and comfort why not?

Last edited:
Top Bottom