Fun with new shooters

richc

NES Member
My daughter has been a nanny this summer for the owners of a soccer camp. They bring in soccer players and coaches from around the world to work at the camp. She asked if I would take a couple of guys from Ireland to the range.

First they were shocked to learn that I had "real guns" and "real bullets". Those things are not allowed in Northern Ireland. When asked what they would like to shoot they were stunned to learn I owned more than one.

So off we went last night. I ran into one of the members, who is a top shelf competitive shooter, and a guy who loves to help new folks. So together we started the boys off with .22 bolt action rifle. Then on to a .38 revolver. Then a semi-auto .22 pistol. Then a 9mm semi-auto pistol. Then it got dark, before we could get them on an AR.

They came back to the house for a beer, and were just thrilled to have that opportunity. One thing that came out... they have guns in Ireland, of course, but they are all illegal and generally used for illegal purposes. So the notion of those of us in the USA owning guns carries a negative connotation.

We talked about that for a while, and helped them understand it is a right in our constitution, and there is historical significance and importance to that right. I also explained that everyone I know that owns guns legally is very responsible, careful, and use firearms for target, hunting and self defense purposes. It was interesting... they got it. Americans with guns are fine... it is the illegal guns and illegal owners that were the problem... just like back home for them.

It was truly a fun night!

That's great! The antis in Europe have done a pretty good job at convincing people that they can't own guns, however gun ownership in Northern Ireland & the Republic is allowed, but I think there are similar flaming hoops to Mass. If I remember correctly the Republic is a little more restrictive.

Here are links to the Ulster Rifle Association and Target Shooting Ireland if they are interested in organized competitions. Pretty much the only way people can own guns other than hunting.

B

New Shooters

Excellent start.

But we need to get more people from THIS side of the pond (and Massachusetts, in particular) out to the range, too! It's often amusing, the reactions that I get, when people find out that I, and my 10 and 12 year old kids, shoot. Sometimes, from this, I can get a non-shooter out to the range. Even if we can't "change" them, once they see that we're not "gun nuts" but normal, reasonable people they're less likely to believe all the BS that gets tossed around about us.

The REAL challenge is not to have a gathering where other NES / NRA / GOAL people come together, but to bring those who either don't know what those acromyms stand for (or believe the worst, from what they've "heard" ) to a place where our sports can be shown in a positive light.

My son wears his NRA Qualification patches on his coat sleeve and, from this, has invited several friends to the range - all positive experiences.

Posts here are "preaching to the chior" - go find a co-worker, neighbor or non-shooting friend and bring them out to the range. It's amazing how a few shots on the paper or broken birds can "explain" why we do what we do!

Yeah, I had heard that comment about "gun culture in Ireland" somewhere else. How is it that he has the right to put the kibosh on something he doesn't like? Typical European.

B

Back
Top Bottom