Fun times with MA Department of Revenue

Skysoldier

Forum Curmudgeon
NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
A few years ago, I got a letter from the Massachusetts Department of Revenue, telling me I owed $240 in additional taxes, and
it was because I didn't declare income from Fidelity Investments.

I have never had an account with Fidelity Investments, and sure as shit would remember receiving money from,
so I blew them off, because somebody obviously made a mistake.

Fast forward to now, and I am living in Albuquerque. I get at least four calls a week from a some idiot in Massachussetts DOR.

"Mister Rowland, if you don't pay this bill, we can put a lien on your home or vehicle, and any licenses you have can be revoked."

"f*** you, I don't own a home or a car, and I don't have any licenses."

"Sir, there is no reason to use language like that, and be advised that this call is being recorded."

"Well then, in that case....F**K YOU! YOU STUPID c***!"

As usual, she hangs up, and the next call is from a male voice. He then inform me that I am facing severe legal penalties, yada, yada.....

"F**K You Faggot!......come arrest me in New Mexico."

Damn, I love it when idiots call me...….[rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
hmmm.... I had an issue with MA DOR because of an incorrect 1099 that got issued to us. Never got a phone call. A couple of "nasty notes" in the mail but that was it. We did get the issue resolved, all through the mail. I would be very suspicious of phone calls from any DOR/IRS.

Skysoldier

Forum Curmudgeon
NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
hmmm.... I had an issue with MA DOR because of an incorrect 1099 that got issued to us. Never got a phone call. A couple of "nasty notes" in the mail but that was it. We did get the issue resolved, all through the mail. I would be very suspicious of phone calls from any DOR/IRS.
I get letters too. I filed a change of address last year because I missed getting my new Medicare card. The letters come addressed to Mansfield address, then forwarded here
to New Mexico.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I love your attitude towards them. Although, I might want to know what exactly they think this account I have is about, if it were me.

bfm

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I got a notice one time that a place I invest had an issue and the tax info was not going to be ready until after the deadline and that I should file but inform gov't that there would be an amendment to the return. So I did that. Around June I get the tax info, write up the amendments and the whole thing with checks to the Fed and to MA.

Fed had no problem. MA sends whole thing, including check, back to me with a note saying they did not understand why I had submitted this. I send it all back to them with a nice letter saying see the amended return and the attached form and the check for how much turbotax says I owe.

They sent that back. I submit all of it a third time. They sent it back again.

This time I just file the entire thing away.

Two years later I get a letter calling me a filthy no good deadbeat tax cheat who owes MA money, plus fines, plus interest.

I call them up and offer to send photocopies of the three times I submitted all the forms and the payment only to have them send it back to me and that I will be happy to send them the two year old check for the original amount but given that I made a more than good faith effort to pay on time I would not be paying any fines or fees and would be happy to go to court and include lawyers fees and damages for missed work to make sure of it.

They said that would be fine.

M60

NES Member
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
A few years ago, I got a letter from the Massachusetts Department of Revenue, telling me I owed $240 in additional taxes, and
it was because I didn't declare income from Fidelity Investments.

I have never had an account with Fidelity Investments, and sure as shit would remember receiving money from,
so I blew them off, because somebody obviously made a mistake.

Fast forward to now, and I am living in Albuquerque. I get at least four calls a week from a some idiot in Massachussetts DOR.

"Mister Rowland, if you don't pay this bill, we can put a lien on your home or vehicle, and any licenses you have can be revoked."

"f*** you, I don't own a home or a car, and I don't have any licenses."

"Sir, there is no reason to use language like that, and be advised that this call is being recorded."

"Well then, in that case....F**K YOU! YOU STUPID c***!"

As usual, she hangs up, and the next call is from a male voice. He then inform me that I am facing severe legal penalties, yada, yada.....

"F**K You Faggot!......come arrest me in New Mexico."

Damn, I love it when idiots call me...….[rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

But what's the recent scoop with the blonde upstairs?

Paul455

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My CPA told me that the Mass. DOR is worse to deal with than the IRS.
They will go to the ends of the earth to harass you.
They froze my checking accounting over a $24 bill.
Bastids.

Reactions: TLB

VetteGirlMA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had my own issue a few years ago when apparently I owed them an additional $56, but of course when they added fines, fees and interest it was several hundred dollars. What can you do? They can make my life miserable over some chump change. It was all because Devil Patrick wasn't meeting the budget and informed the DOR to start looking into people more carefully. It was stupid and I decided to pay rather than fight and make it go away.

JDL

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
MA DOR will not work with you. They want there money right away they are not helpful with trying to set up a payment plan. They wat to instantly put a lean on your house. They are the worst.

Chevy 2 65

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MA DOR will not work with you. They want there money right away they are not helpful with trying to set up a payment plan. They wat to instantly put a lean on your house. They are the worst.
They are f***ing criminal collectors for the state ..Maura and company. It's like the collectors for the MOB.
1581375109123.png

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98.3%
59   1   0
Bastids.
When I was called into IRS for an audit, the auditor's opening line was "we're not as bad as DOR"! Not kidding and I knew exactly what she meant!

6 months after an IRS audit, I received a form letter accepting my return as filed. A few months later I got a bill from DOR for ~$1100 based on that same IRS audit. You can't argue or reason with those idiots, so I sent a letter demanding a hearing and enclosed the IRS letter. A month or so later I got a letter saying that they reevaluated my return and found that I didn't owe anything.

Damn thieves!

citoriguy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I deal with DOR regularly and they can be a challenge sometimes. If you know the right people to talk to, you can get a reasonable resolution. It’s the front line asshats that suck [insert your favorite expression here].

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
MA DOR is useless. They still owe me $500 from 2019 because I live in Boston. They mailed the check 2 times ... to the wrong address so no one cashed it. I called them several times to change my address.

Useless.

But when they thought I owed them money, they were very quick to threaten me with freezing all my assets.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Bastids.
I will agree with that. The IRS people I've dealt with were courteous and polite. The DOR are thugs.

RKG

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given all of the reports above of bad experience dealing with the Massachusetts Department of Revenue, what I am about to report must be wrong. Nonetheless:

1) For reasons not material, my returns are sometimes a bit complex, and as a result, I have had to deal with DOR a handful of times over the last decade or so. Gist was explaining to them why I had reported things as I had, and why what I had done was correct vis-a-vis the Massachusetts income tax statutes. In fact, the conversations were quite polite, and in each case the folks I dealt with (all over the telephone) quickly conceded.

2) Quite recently, I sent a check for estimated to DOR, and when they deposited it, my account was debited for 10 times the amount of the check. I don't know exactly where the error was made (to wit: within DOR or within DOR's depository bank, which in this case was Bank of America). However, the error was acknowledged and corrected within one day.

So, for whatever it may be worth (possibly nothing, I acknowledge), my experience dealing with MA DOR has been quite different than that of others.

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98.3%
59   1   0
Given all of the reports above of bad experience dealing with the Massachusetts Department of Revenue, what I am about to report must be wrong. Nonetheless:

1) For reasons not material, my returns are sometimes a bit complex, and as a result, I have had to deal with DOR a handful of times over the last decade or so. Gist was explaining to them why I had reported things as I had, and why what I had done was correct vis-a-vis the Massachusetts income tax statutes. In fact, the conversations were quite polite, and in each case the folks I dealt with (all over the telephone) quickly conceded.

2) Quite recently, I sent a check for estimated to DOR, and when they deposited it, my account was debited for 10 times the amount of the check. I don't know exactly where the error was made (to wit: within DOR or within DOR's depository bank, which in this case was Bank of America). However, the error was acknowledged and corrected within one day.

So, for whatever it may be worth (possibly nothing, I acknowledge), my experience dealing with MA DOR has been quite different than that of others.
You are the lucky one. I've had numerous dealings with them over the past 50 yrs and not once has it been a decent conversation and resolution. And it started in ~1970 when I walked into DOR to get my first vendor sales tax certificate and asked for a copy of the law (no Internet back then to look things up) and the turkey refused until I told him that I wasn't leaving his desk without it.

Top Bottom