Fun 7.62x39 Rifle?

I bought a Colt AR-15 7.62 X 39 great rifleView attachment 165938

- - - Updated - - -

I bought a Mini 30 2 years ago and wouldn't shoot any steel ammo. Sold it 6 months later.

I have the mini 30. If you break it in with about 100 rounds of brass ammo, it will then be fine with Russian ammo. You will get the occasional failure to fire because of the hard primers. My view is, so what, your at the range, load it and fire it again. Consider it part of the training. Keep brass ammo with soft primers for any defensive work.

I heard the AR is terrible with feeding 7.62x39. No personal experience, glad yours works.

Last edited:

I had the remington mini mauser 799 it was a nice rifle it shot cheap stuff with out issue but was not as much fun as a ak or sks. Even with so called "match" bullets and reloads it did not have the "accuracy" of a bolt gun well not the expected accuracy one might think from a bolt action......I have up after a while when I could not get much better than 2.25" groups....

I bought a used Sig 556R, it takes AK47 magazines, and is very fun to shoot. The trigger is really excellent.

556r_left-tm-tfb.jpg

Sks D or M, or a PTR. PTR is on my short list. However, they float around the $1k mark.

IMG_20150823_180007984.jpg
Gotta love a AR platform in 762x39 it will print under a inch at 100 yds with Winchester white box.

All 7.62x39 are fun! SKS are creeping up to stupid over priced, at least the ones I've seen anyways. The WASR is the way to go in my opinion, you can find Preban 30 round mags and change out the furniture on it real easy if you want to play around with the look of it. Check out Atlantic Firearms, last I checked I think the WASR was around $650 which is great value, you can have all the fun you want with it and beat the shit out of it and it will run for ya.

Actually, gentlemen, there are two rifles not mentioned here, both of which were designed to handle the 762 x 39 with aplomb.

The Czec VZ52/57:

rifle%20restored%20small.jpg

and the Egyptian Rashid

My%20Rashid%20small.jpg

When you shoot either of those two rifles you'll fully realize just how much fun that caliber can be, especially the Rashid.

Someone also mentioned the bullpup conversion for the SKS. I've done one. The neat thing is that there are no permanent alternations made to the host rifle. The results, however, are nothing short of really amazing. Everything from the ergonomics to the trigger have been properly addressed and this thing takes the more mundane but hearty SKS and propels it into the future.

full%20left%20side.jpg

full%20right%20side.jpg

I've since replaced the original magazine with a Tapco 10 rounder. Here in CT we aren't trusted with magazines over 10 rounds. Fortunately Tapco makes an excellent substitute.

If I were to do it again, I'd use the non-Yugo SKS as a host eliminating the grenade launching capability although it does remain intact in this application.

In any event the 762 x 39 round enjoys that configuration very much and is extremely accurate.

Rome

Not by much anymore. SKSs are pretty much rape now.

-Mike

I picked up a Yugo M59/66 from Classic Firearms a few months ago for around 450. All matching numbers and in mint shape. Cleaned it up, slapped a new firing pin from Murray's in it... and then stuck it in the safe. lol. I gotta get that thing to the range!

I'd say start with a WASR or M10, although that supply seems to have dried up and people are asking for double what it was selling for just a few years ago. I had a good time refinishing the furniture on the WASR.

I see them in gun stores all the time. Pencil thin barrels, mags that wobble, not great stocks and not very good build quality. Compared to the thicker barrel of a Vepr, which is about $700 to $800 in its basic configuration, a WASR isn't worth the money.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/co...-rifle-762-x-54r-russian-detail.html?Itemid=0

This makes no sense, they have a cold hammer forged with chrome lined barrel. I have little mag wobble on my Wasr GP. The old stocks I will say didn't look to good compared to
the newer production. But to hate on the barrel makes zero sense, considering some people choose a WASR because of the barrel. Bottom line it's a AK, an excellent Ak for the price. Old wasr's were a crap shoot between canted sights, mag wobble, and offset side rails. New wasr's are a different animal. People just love to hate on wasr's , especially when they have never owned or shot one. How can you call it a bad rifle in that case when you have no experience with the rifle?

This is the old style WASR-10. Less then $250.00 when I bought it with 2 30 round mags, sling and kit.

I've no problems with it. No cant, mag wobble, trigger slap. I'd rather it than any SKS. I haven't taken it out in a while but it gives 4" groups at the 100 off a bench which is pretty good for an AK and wolf cartridges.

This makes no sense, they have a cold hammer forged with chrome lined barrel. I have little mag wobble on my Wasr GP. The old stocks I will say didn't look to good compared to
the newer production. But to hate on the barrel makes zero sense, considering some people choose a WASR because of the barrel. Bottom line it's a AK, an excellent Ak for the price. Old wasr's were a crap shoot between canted sights, mag wobble, and offset side rails. New wasr's are a different animal. People just love to hate on wasr's , especially when they have never owned or shot one. How can you call it a bad rifle in that case when you have no experience with the rifle?

Hold a Vepr and hold a WASR. You will see a difference in almost everything. Then look at the price tags. I don't hate WASRs, I just think that the Vepr is the best option for an AK. I haven't shot an Arsenal so I don't know about those. I owned a Saiga and a Vepr and the Vepr was a better, though more expensive, rifle.

If you have a WASR, great, I'm not telling you that you have a junk rifle. I'm saying a Vepr is a better rifle and you're not going to convince me that a WASR is better than a Vepr. Period, end of discussion, I'm dropping this topic because I'm speaking from what I've seen in both guns.

WASR is worth ever penny , don't let people fool you, yes a Vepr is the best for a lasting heavy Barrel but you don't need the best. Other person should watch some AK operators Union Vids and then recant his statement on the WASR.

"THE MIGHTY WASR WINS AGAIN"

Last edited:
Fun is shots 200 yards down range un-scoped with a yugo...
My most memorable outing was hitting a lime green 3" diameter sticker at 200 multiple times grouping most around the 12" - 20" with a flyer now and then.
But was humbled next couple off times out.
Took a friend out once trading shots again out 200 and were hitting center of mass and grouping head shots...
It's not easy to do every time but always capable with good ammo.
I'm sure I would enjoy a few shots out of an Ak..never have. But doubt the accuracy against an sks.
Un-issued yugo zasatava tagged soaked in cosmoline..
...jump on one.

Back
Top Bottom