• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Full Speed Bullets...

Chris

NES Member
Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
Jon Green sent me a video of me shooting the .500 Mag you see in my Avatar.

Far from 'uncontrolable', but certianly not a 'beginner gun'.

If I remember correctly, the ammo used in these is the 440grain CorBon Hard Cast Lead Hunter rounds.

Anyway, I figured a few of you would like to see it, so enjoy....

(AVI file is a 4 meg download)
.500Magnum in 4" gun

Cross-X said:
Some twelve year old kid lost his life trying to shoot one of these guns. In recoil, the front sight cracked him right in the forehead. Killed him dead.

seriously? wow... that sucks. Poor kid. stupid parents...

Nice Vid...
I have a cool one of the 500 being fired in slow motion... If I had a place to host it, I would.

Adam

Adam_MA said:
Nice Vid...
I have a cool one of the 500 being fired in slow motion... If I had a place to host it, I would.

Adam

I have that floating around somewhere. That video was done to show how recoil could cause the .500 to 'double' by the sheer compression of the hand if not held tightly. (There were some cases of people getting enough compression of the palm that the trigger could reset and then be pulled again by the shooter.)

Ah, here it is: Slow Motion of .500 Magnum

Cross-X said:
Some twelve year old kid lost his life trying to shoot one of these guns. In recoil, the front sight cracked him right in the forehead. Killed him dead.

I could see that happening. Certainly a lot of kick there, and if uncontrolled that 56 or 72 oz (depending on barrel length) could easly cause a major dent.

Like I said, not for the inexperienced shooter.

when i worked at galyans...now dicks sporting goods...we sold a gentleman a few boxes of ammo for his 500...he came in later in the week with a cast on his right wrist demanding a refund...apparently he was trying to return the gun to wherever he bought it from too...i guess after shooting about 5 rounds he had to stop from a severe pain in his wrist...went to the ER the next day and come to find out the recoil from the gun caused him to break a few bones in his hand/wrist

Ouch. Looks painful! How many factory rounds can you put throught
that thing before your hand aches?

-Mike

OK, now this is a little worrisome....

Stepped through the video just to see what images were on each frame. Caught this one on one of the shots. It's blown up a bit, but you can clearly see the orientation of the pistol and its relation to my support hand. I've shot close to 1000 rounds in this gun at this point. Never would I have believed that the muzzle flip was that severe had I not seen it.

500Recoil.jpg

Now THATS Recoil....

drgrant said:
Ouch. Looks painful! How many factory rounds can you put throught
that thing before your hand aches?

Never shot more than 20 or 25 at an outing. At up to $4 a pop, long range sessions are not possible. I've actually never had any discomfort.

The challenge is finding interesting stuff to shoot at. I've shown you the 1" steel plate before:

500MagnumHits.jpg

The lower cost Bullseye ammo that Carl carries is not nearly as potent as the one in the video, and I'd say I shoot that more than 3/4 of the time as it's only $2.30 a pop or so. That's only a 375 grain bullet at a lower velocity, so it's a bit easier to manage.

I should set up to reload. I have the dies and plenty of one shot brass. Just never found a good place to setup. I know that if I put a reloading bench in the 'office' here, I'd never get any work done. (^_^)

Then again, I might be tempted to try some of John Ross's loads like the 600 grain bullet with 3200 ft lbs of energy.... NAH.

Real nice pics , sure like the full recoil one . Never did want to waste my money on one of those things . There just a ploy to get folks to spend money .

Good way to develop a flinch, for no reason .

BUT if ya gotta have one , enjoy !!!

That's some serious frickin' recoil Chris... I'd be afraid to try your gun. I have issues with shooting .357. I can fire maybe 3 or 4 rounds before my arms go numb up to my elbows. Stupid carpal tunnels!

Shot the 4" day before Christmas, with the Corbon "Specials" and some 400gr standard loads. Pretty fun to shoot. Been shooting a 4" and 8" .44mag with HOT loads for a while and it is not much different. The fun part with the .500 was putting all Specials except one 400gr and not knowing when you would get hit with the extra recoil! Wuhoooo!! It is a heavy gun with stout recoil for sure.

Back
Top Bottom