Full size striker fired 9MM

Which striker fired full size 9MM do you have and why?
I'm especially interested in the G17 Gen4 and the VP9. As a former 92FS owner, I'm leaning towards another but prefer striker fired.
$ for $ which is the best value? Reliability I know favors G17. 92FS is right there with it, VP9 isn't out long enough compared to the other two. I don't care about capacity, it will be a range gun 95% of the time.

I've got a VP9. Love it and from the kaboom videos I've seen, HK's habit of overbuilding things has managed to save a few hands. Can't say the same about Glock kabooms I've seen.

I own both and love both of them. Because you can't stop at just owning just one.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

just a range gun... Look at the canik tp9sf . Best gun for the money.

Other than that Glock 17 so you can get the preban hicaps.

x2 on Sig 320.
Not an owner but have shot around 600 rounds through one (full size) and liked it.
The ability to swap frames and grip sizes so easily is a nice option too.

VP9. More accurate out of the box than my modded G17.

For general use, the G17 gets the nod as I can rebuild it easily enough and dont care as much if I wear it out or it gets banged up.

Love my PPQ, someone in MA was selling one with two holsters and a mag pouch in MA on the for sale forum. Its got pre-ban mags too.

XD Tactical 9mm (5").

Before I moved back to MA from CA, the XDs seemed desirable and not on the list so I picked one up before moving. It shoots well, I'm chicken so I like the grip safety and unlike the smallish trigger guards, the trigger guard fits my finger.

Sig P320.... love the way it shoots and it's modularity.

don't like the grip

- - - Updated - - -

just a range gun... Look at the canik tp9sf . Best gun for the money.

Yes and a great grip. Very comfortable

- - - Updated - - -

S&W M&P9 Range Kit, best bang for your buck,

even with the added cost of an APEX kit or trigger job!

View attachment 196808

I had a M&P9 with a 6.5 LEO model. Nice gun but not the best for comfort.

I like the vp9. The ergonomics and trigger are excellent. Mine has about 400 flawless rounds and I shoot it better than any of my other striker guns (g19, p320).

M&P 9 - Because i live in mass and it was easy to obtain. (plus many friends were blah blah blahing at how nice of a gun it is for the money even after a trigger job)
then
G34 MOS, because i didn't want to pay someone to mill the slide for an optic and i wanted to give USPSA carry optics a try.

I honestly hate the glock trigger. Not sure why its gets so much love. As a carry trigger, its OK, but i hate the pull length as a comp trigger. But i grew up on 1911s and and 226s. So im a baby.

for my money, the following are my striker guns of choice:
P320 full size or compact
Glock 17 or 19
Canik TP9SF

don't overlook the Canik. for the price they are unbeatable. internally it's a walther PPQ design. they need zero work and are very reliable guns.

- - - Updated - - -

Love my PPQ, someone in MA was selling one with two holsters and a mag pouch in MA on the for sale forum. Its got pre-ban mags too.

the canik is the same gun internally. i still own a PPQ and can say the canik comes to the range way more often.

I have an xD45, very happy with it, shoots well, can't imagine the 9mm version would be any different. The 45 is a double-stack, fits my VERY large hands. I picked up an SD9VE a few months ago, put a couple of hundred rounds through it so far. Range toy? Love it, shoots well, no issues, got the Talon tape I have yet to put on. EDC? Not yet, maybe after a few hundred more, but it's been flawless so if I decide to go light and skinny (normally I carry a full-size 1911) the SD9 may be my go to. At $250 including an Apex trigger IDGAF if I drop it on asphalt getting in/out of the car...

Speaking of which, if anybody HAS an SD9 they're looking to dump, PM me:)

Being a 92FS guy, I will say the VP9 is my favorite striker fire pistol, grip angle, trigger, ergonomics, it seems to have it all for me. I would like to give the new Beretta APX a try though...

I'm going to have to mention my xd45 it runs smooth I bet xd9 is just as smooth if not smoother I will also mention my sd9ve great point and shoot ergonomics runs nice not expensive I can't compare it to a glock cause I have never shot one, you tube videos that I have seen shows them comparable. I'm in trouble for this statement.[emoji51] [emoji51] [emoji51] [emoji51] [emoji51] [emoji51]

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You don't have a whole lot of options.

Beretta APX
Canik TP9
CZ P10
FMK G9/G2
FN FNS
Glock 17/19
H&K VP9
Kahr P9
Ruger American / SR9
Sarsilmaz SAR9
Springfield XDM
S&W M&P
Sig P320
Steyr A1
Taurus 24/7
Walther PPQ
Zenith Girsan

I love the G34 and the Sig P320.
If had only one I would probably pick the p320 because it a really versatile platform (the compact and sub compact are also excellent) The RX is too much fun and a great value. Out of the box any of the p320's are wonderful.
The G34 is a total stud and if you get some new sights and a trigger you can turn it into a race-horse-laser-gun.
The VP9 is probably the first gun I would sell if I had to. It's a great shooter and performs amazingly well, but for some reason I find it to be a boring gun. I also hate the shape of the stock trigger with the stupid dangus. I find I have to a bandaid on my trigger finger after only 200 rounds.

fullsize_strikers.jpg

Last edited:
Canik TP9SF. You can buy one of each color for the price of a VP9. Plus better trigger, accurate, and reliable.

VP9. Preferably one of the models with night sights and the extra mag. I like the gray one. If you buy an SR9 you will want something better in a couple years anyway. SR9 sights are goofy and the trigger is decent at best with no upgrades avaliable. Caniks are decent guns for the money if you are ok with sending your money to Turkey and by proxy people who want to kill you. I aint ok with that shit. The Full size M&P 9s are nice guns, but you at least need to upgrade the trigger. The sights kinds suck too.

Last edited:
Ruger SR9 is a great gun right out of the box. Nice trigger.

Yes, I just traded one away. But scoping out a 9E, since I still have two mags from the SR9

- - - Updated - - -

You don't have a whole lot of options.

Beretta APX
Canik TP9
CZ P10
FMK G9/G2
FN FNS
Glock 17/19
H&K VP9
Kahr P9
Ruger American / SR9
Sarsilmaz SAR9
Springfield XDM
S&W M&P
Sig P320
Steyr A1
Taurus 24/7
Walther PPQ
Zenith Girsan

LOL, I have the Kahr P9, the most accurate gun I've ever fired and never a glitch. Would love to try a Steyr.

- - - Updated - - -

Def give this one a try. The more I shoot it the better it gets.
View attachment 196826View attachment 196827

Is that a Steyr?

- - - Updated - - -

So any reason the Canik SF over the SA? From what I've read the SA's decocker is not really an issue. It takes some pressure to decock it.

Back
Top Bottom