• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Full safe... Now what?

Ive filled my safe to capacity... Guns, ammo, and mags... I keep all my accessories in a cabinet which is also full... What now? Get another cabinet for ammo? I cant afford another safe. Im still looking to expand my collection in the future. Suggestions?

Mike

Though that would be an option... maybe for a last case scenerio... Im considering seperating my ammo in another cabinet.

If its not already the case, you'd gain a bit of room by loading as much ammo as possible into the mags, rather than having them both taking up room. Other than that, locking file cabinet for the ammo and save the safe for the guns.

I have my ammo in a separate cabinet. It's one of the cheapest "gun safes" there is, but its lockable and keeps honest people honest, at least. Meets MA MGL requirements as well.

My father and I made shelves for the inside, 4 of them out of 3/4" MDF and wrapped in carpet. Awesome little cabinet for ammo and some accessories.

Similar to one of these:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...d=12982248&cp=4406646.4413993.4414427.4414433

This, ammo goes in a lockbox or filing cabinet. More room for news guns...profit.

If its not already the case, you'd gain a bit of room by loading as much ammo as possible into the mags, rather than having them both taking up room. Other than that, locking file cabinet for the ammo and save the safe for the guns.

I have my ammo in a separate cabinet. It's one of the cheapest "gun safes" there is, but its lockable and keeps honest people honest, at least. Meets MA MGL requirements as well.

My father and I made shelves for the inside, 4 of them out of 3/4" MDF and wrapped in carpet. Awesome little cabinet for ammo and some accessories.

Similar to one of these:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...d=12982248&cp=4406646.4413993.4414427.4414433

This seems like the route to go... I may have to find a new home for my misc accessories and use my existing cabinet for the ammo... No extra cost is always a plus!

Have you gotten creative yet with how you have your guns in the safe? If not, try that first. One gun butt down, next one bbl down, continue. Depending on how you're stacked, you could get another couple or more rifles in there.

Next step, get a 50 gun safe!!! Then two when the first fills up. And so on!

That was when I start upgrading my collection. Started selling off the bottom third and bought pistols I couldn't in the past. The safe is still full but the quality of my collection has improved. So when my wife looks in there is nothing to see...

Ive filled my safe to capacity... Guns, ammo, and mags... I keep all my accessories in a cabinet which is also full... What now? Get another cabinet for ammo? I cant afford another safe. Im still looking to expand my collection in the future. Suggestions?

Mike
Get the ammo out of the safe. I'd never put ammo in a safe anyway. its a safety hazard. You are taking something that will pretty much just burn and turning it into an explosive.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have unused/empty luggage, just don't use your carry on [laugh]

Thats not a bad idea. A piece of luggage with a $2 lock meets the legal requirement for storage of ammo.

Actually it meets the requirement for storage of a firearm, but it would be unethical for me to suggest that. I'm one of those people who feels that you have a moral responsibility to have control over your firearms at all times. So if its not on you, its locked up.

With ammo . . . not so much.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you gotten creative yet with how you have your guns in the safe? If not, try that first. One gun butt down, next one bbl down, continue. Depending on how you're stacked, you could get another couple or more rifles in there.

This works great. I've also removed the internal dividers and put all the guns in socks. So they can be packed in tight, like big sardines.

Gotta unload that safe of any ammo to make room, like others have said. I picked up a nice heavy duty old tube TV entertainment center at a yard sale that I reinforced and added shelves to stack my ammo cans in, then threw a good lock on it. It's only wood so if you wanted to bust in with an axe you could, but its deep in the basement in the middle of so much junk you'd barely have the room to swing an axe. Plus it helps that there's only one discreet path through the clutter to get to it. Good ol' camouflage

I'm in the process of converting an old fridge that should make for much better storage. If you're a broke college kid like me whose willing to do a little work, you can come up with some good ideas for practically nothing

My first "safe" was a stack-on gun cabinet from Walmart, cost $100, took an hour to put together, had a couple of Walmart lock boxes that I kept ammo in. Then I bought a stack-on ammo cabinet, put more ammo in there. OK, I'm 4 generations into describing this project, and I got confused. So I'm just gonna buy this and be done:

ForumRunner_20130920_170304.jpg

Now, if you have a storage problem, I'll be happy to store whatever you want. I'll make sure the ammo doesn't go stale too:)

Mike
The cabinet you keep your accessories in - is it lockable? If so, cheapest option is to move your ammo to that cabinet, fill up the safe with guns, and move the ammo to some random lockable container. The accessories don't need to be locked up, unless you're doing so because you're worried about them for some reason in particular.

I would just make a cabinet that can be locked. If it is just for ammo, so wood, nails, hinge, a lock, and all that good stuff will make due. Or, go to your local dump, find a fridge, hollow it out, and put a lock on it. Makes for a nice safe in a pinch. Another option is buying a metal locking cabinet off of craigslist for cheap.

Ive filled my safe to capacity... Guns, ammo, and mags... I keep all my accessories in a cabinet which is also full...

OH shit! [dance]

What now? Get another cabinet for ammo? I cant afford another safe.

Tough shit! [hmmm]

Im still looking to expand my collection in the future.

No shit... [shocked]

[rofl2]

What do you think you will be buying in the future? If your going to be focusing on HGs you could get a nice hard case for quite a bit less than a new safe. Depending on the size of the case and guns you could store up to 8-12 HGs in one case split over 2 layers without it having to be too big of a case.

opplanet-plano-molding-large-black-weatherproof-pistol-case-18-4x14-25x8in-108020-main.jpg

This is just an example. If you cut the foam differently you could easily fit 4 on each layer. That case has 2 layers.

OH shit! [dance]

Tough shit! [hmmm]

No shit... [shocked]

[rofl2]

What do you think you will be buying in the future? If your going to be focusing on HGs you could get a nice hard case for quite a bit less than a new safe. Depending on the size of the case and guns you could store up to 8-12 HGs in one case split over 2 layers without it having to be too big of a case.

opplanet-plano-molding-large-black-weatherproof-pistol-case-18-4x14-25x8in-108020-main.jpg

This is just an example. If you cut the foam differently you could easily fit 4 on each layer. That case has 2 layers.

that case is awesome! which one is that??

PS OP if you wanna donate some guns im always accepting donations [smile]

Back
Top Bottom