"Full" pistol grip on a semi auto shotgun, legal in MASS?

Is a "Full" pistol grip on a semi auto shotgun, legal in MASS?

The full pistol grip version is designed to be fired from the shoulder.

Similar to this:

http://cdn5.thefirearmsblog.com/blo...009/01/images-mossberg-guns-930-new-85370.jpg

I was under the impression that it was OK, just as long as the shotgun did not contain an external mag.
I have been told that this is no longer true.

Better check with you legal experts....

Thanks
Q

Check out what I found on GOALS website:

http://www.goal.org/masslawpages/awfacts.html

A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of--"

(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.'“

I have a Mossberg 930 SPX which comes with a tube that can fit more than 5 rounds.
I guess I can't add the pistol grip. When did this become true....
This state BLOWS!

The problem is the '94 assault weapons ban. If I recall correctly, a post-ban semi-auto shotgun cannot have both a pistol grip and a 5+ round magazine. One or the other is fine, but not both.
Does not apply to a pump shotgun

The problem is the '94 assault weapons ban. If I recall correctly, a post-ban shotgun cannot have both a pistol grip and a 5+ round magazine. One or the other is fine, but not both.

He made no mention of a 5+ round magazine in the OP. As far as I know he's got a standard tube with the MA mandated "stick" to limit it to 3 rounds. And you're correct if he can load more than 5. I admit I should have been clearer in my answer. I should have said "If you can load 5 or less rounds in the tube, then your OK" I'm as guilty as the OP is in withholding information.

Last edited:
He made no mention of a 5+ round magazine in the OP. As far as I know he's got a standard tube with the MA mandated "stick" to limit it to 3 rounds. And you're correct if he can load more than 5. I admit I should have been clearer in my answer. I should have said "If you can load 5 or less rounds in the tube, then your OK" I'm as guilty as the OP is in withholding information.

The pic is one of the 930SPX with pistol grip and 7 round tube. It's reasonable to assume that's the gun he's talking about.

The pic is one of the 930SPX with pistol grip and 7 round tube. It's reasonable to assume that's the gun he's talking about.

Yup, I clicked on that pic before I responded.

when did this become true?.... Ask Mitt Romney
It started before that. This was part of the Clinton '94 Assault Weapons Ban. What Romney did was to sign legislation that codified the federal ban in MA law, so that if the feds didn't renew it, it would still be in effect in MA.

Not to hi-jack the thread or anything but there is enough mis-information out there all ready.

when did this become true?.... Ask Mitt Romney

For the actual facts, see here:

http://www.goal.org/newspages/romney.html
Chapter 150 of the Acts of 2004: An Act Further Regulating Certain Weapons

This is a perfect example of don’t believe in titles. The bill was the greatest victory for gun owners since the passage of the gun control laws in 1998 (Chapter 180 of the Acts of 1998). It was a reform bill totally supported by GOAL. Press and media stories around the country got it completely wrong when claimed the bill was an extension of the “assault weapon” ban that had sunset at the federal level. They could not have been more wrong. Unfortunately for the Governor, someone had also wrongly briefed him about the bill. As a result the Lt. Governor and the Governor made statements at the bill signing ceremony that angered GOAL members. The following is what the bill actually did:

1. Established the Firearm License Review Board (FLRB). The 1998 law created new criteria for disqualifying citizens for firearms licenses that included any misdemeanor punishable by more than two years even if no jail time was ever served.

For instance, a first conviction of operating a motor vehicle under the influence would result in the loss of your ability to own a handgun for life and long guns for a minimum of five years. This Board is now able to review cases under limited circumstances to restore licenses to individuals who meet certain criteria.

2. Mandated that a minimum of $50,000 of the licensing fees be used for the operation of the FLRB so that the Board would not cease operating under budget cuts.

3. Extended the term of the state’s firearm licenses from 4 years to 6 years.

4. Permanently attached the federal language concerning assault weapon exemptions in 18 USC 922 Appendix A to the Massachusetts assault weapons laws. This is the part that the media misrepresented.

In 1998 the Massachusetts legislature passed its own assault weapons ban (MGL Chapter 140, Section 131M). This ban did not rely on the federal language and contained no sunset clause. Knowing that we did not have the votes in 2004 to get rid of the state law, we did not want to loose all of the federal exemptions that were not in the state law so this new bill was amended to include them.

5. Re-instated a 90 day grace period for citizens who were trying to renew their firearm license. Over the past years, the government agencies in charge had fallen months behind in renewing licenses. At one point it was taking upwards of a year to renew a license. Under Massachusetts law, a citizen cannot have a firearm or ammunition in their home with an expired license.

6. Mandated that law enforcement must issue a receipt for firearms that are confiscated due to an expired license. Prior to this law, no receipts were given for property confiscated which led to accusations of stolen or lost firearms after they were confiscated by police.

7. Gave free license renewal for law enforcement officers who applied through their employing agency.

8. Changed the size and style of a firearm license to that of a driver’s license so that it would fit in a normal wallet. The original license was 3” x 4”.

9. Created stiffer penalties for armed home invaders.

Not to hi-jack the thread or anything but there is enough mis-information out there all ready.
It was a reform bill totally supported by GOAL.

If that is true; why am I giving them money?

They consider a card that fits in my wallet and those other scraps they threw from the table to be a win for gun owners? That is laughable.

They consider a card that fits in my wallet and those other scraps they threw from the table to be a win for gun owners? That is laughable.

It's called "politics".

Half a loaf, and all that. Remember - a hunger strile only works if people care wether you live.

In Mass, the majority of the residents don't own guns, and don't care if others want to or not. In a place where a license to sell knives can be "serioulsy" debated as a public safety measure, GOAL is our friend. As an entity, GOAL may not be perfect, but we'd be in a far worse place without them. We're a minority. That's the fact.

Really? What exactly did we give up to get the things Jon listed? The answer is absolutely nothing. The Mass AWB was already in place and it wasn't going to go away. The only change in the AWB was that the federal list of guns that could never be deemed to be AWs was incorporated into Mass law, providing additional protection against over-zealous prosecutors. Stop believing everything you read in the Boston Globe.

Ken

Just curious, if you put a stick in to limit shell capacity does that me as long as the stick is in, its legal? Or would it need to have a crimped tube to make it legal?

Just curious, if you put a stick in to limit shell capacity does that me as long as the stick is in, its legal? Or would it need to have a crimped tube to make it legal?
The stick wouldn't be a permanent modification, so I would suspect that it would not be legal.

Really? What exactly did we give up to get the things Jon listed? The answer is absolutely nothing. The Mass AWB was already in place and it wasn't going to go away. The only change in the AWB was that the federal list of guns that could never be deemed to be AWs was incorporated into Mass law, providing additional protection against over-zealous prosecutors. Stop believing everything you read in the Boston Globe.

Ken

Edit: it was net neutral at best.

Just like you can't block a new 30 round AR mag to 10 rounds and call it a 10 round mag.

Well, to be clear, there are ways, but you would want to do it in such a way that it's not easily reversible so someone couldn't claim that the modification was not permanent.

-Mike

The stick wouldn't be a permanent modification, so I would suspect that it would not be legal.

It's legal if you're hunting ducks. But this is MA so the laws are always confusing, indefinitive and down right stupid. What's legal for one activity is a felony for another.

Last edited:
I still don't see an answer here for what i am looking for. I have a Benelli M4 H20 (11794) coming in for a transfer into MA. Is this firearm considered legal in MA? It HAS a pistol grip but none of the other characteristics that make it illegal to my knowledge... Anyone know where i can find actual proof in legislation that this is legal.

Thanks for your help

Josh

I still don't see an answer here for what i am looking for. I have a Benelli M4 H20 (11794) coming in for a transfer into MA. Is this firearm considered legal in MA? It HAS a pistol grip but none of the other characteristics that make it illegal to my knowledge... Anyone know where i can find actual proof in legislation that this is legal.

Thanks for your help

Josh
A semi-auto shotgun that does not hold more than 5 shells in a fixed or detachable magazine= legal in MA. This needed to be asked to the MA FFL that is transferring it to you.

Thanks for your help

Josh
As long as you don’t have the mag tube extension on it then you are fine.

I still don't see an answer here for what i am looking for. I have a Benelli M4 H20 (11794) coming in for a transfer into MA. Is this firearm considered legal in MA?
Great first post,.. and a necro at that. Trust the FFL that you asked before you ordered it,..

Back
Top Bottom