Full Auto Malfunction...

OK, so a few of us were having some fun at the range. I was enjoying the Swedish K when it made a VERY weird sound and I felt a bit of a tingling in my hands. Seems that there was a problem with the cartridge and it exploded while I was shooting. It was an eye opener...as when it's cycling that fast...there's not much to think about until it stopped

The gun was out of commission pretty much after that...we tried to keep it running, but it expanded the magwell to the point that the bolt wouldn't function correctly. It was a shame, as it was a fun gun to fire.

Here's a shot of what it looked like when we extracted it from the gun.

6d8d1438.jpg

A little bit of a powder burn on my hand.

9ceb79ef.jpg

And it drew blood...LOL!

bc84eeb7.jpg

I was standing back and right. Something hit me in the head and I could tell something wasn't right by the sound of that shot and the silence immediately after it. I have no idea what it was that bounced off my noggin. C-Pher was downright giddy about being able to tell this war story. It was the same gun I was shooting in:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/162287-My-Kinda-Sunday?p=2383939#post2383939

You can hear C-Pher say that he was gonna magdump right after me at the tail end of that video... he did, it didn't.

Definitely fired out of battery. The force did expand the magwell (just a sheet metal guide developed to allow use of the box magazine instead of the drums or coffins) to the point that mags weren't seating properly or being held securely.
I think that even though Rick pulled a bore snake through it a few times, the bore was also full of carbon, and rounds just wouldn't seat properly. Took it home, gave it a good cleaning and function check (pressed the magwell back to where its nice and snug). No damage visible anywhere, so I'll take it back out on saturday to verify all is okay.

Its a M45 on a Wilson tube.

Thanks,

Chris

How did you get that burn on your right hand? It looks to me like you where in the process of clearing a "click" by reaching over the top and had an out of battery "Hang fire" . It also looks like a clean primer strike. The only other thing I can think of, is the firing pin was stuck in the forward position and it slam fired on the feed ramp. Glad your ok.

The M45 fires from an open bolt, with afixed firing pin. My theory is that the chamber had enough carbon build up so that the round didn't seat far enough before the force of the pin caused detonation. It was partially seated, and the round exited the barrel. But I believe that because a portion of the case was extending out of the chamber, the pressure blew it apart. C-Pher's hand was burned, when the powder blew down through the mag well and hit his finger which was gripping the magazine.

WOW glad your OK Bud, do you think it was an issue with the ammo or the gun? was it reloaded ammo?

Thanks to Ranger4-7 for all the explanation as I've been swamped at work and this is the first time for me getting back to this thread.

No, this wasn't because of the ammo. And no, it wasn't reloaded ammo. Factory ammo...as he was saying, it was because the round wouldn't fully seat. It's OK...I'm OK...and more importantly, glad that the gun is OK.

But, now Ranger4-7 just has to meet me back at the range to make up for his gun burning my hand. LOL!

Was it a critical dynamic class-III linear malfunction? I fsucking HATE those.

At First you were like "Oh I'm gonna shoot this"....then your gun was like...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom