1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

FUDDS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Koolmoose, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Koolmoose

Koolmoose NES Member

Other side of the bridges behind the iron curtain
    xjma99, Howland, wiryone1 and 6 others like this.

2. Admin

Admin Staff Member Administrator Moderator NES Member

Article is accurate

xjma99, wiryone1, BarnBuilder and 2 others like this.
  3. Chevy 2 65

Chevy 2 65 NES Member

This right here says it all.

"I even own a shotgun, but…”

4. new guy

new guy NES Member

Fudds are more liability than asset in the fight for 2a.

xjma99, wiryone1, timbo and 11 others like this.
  5. Chevy 2 65

Chevy 2 65 NES Member

and this

"What is to be done about FUDDs? Simple. Let us all stop pretending they support the Second Amendment. Let us all stop pretending they are partially right. They are totally wrong. They are not our friends."

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    556USER, drgrant, John4166 and 4 others like this.
  6. tuna

tuna NES Member

Turn the tables on them.

I’m no fan of ARs and even traded a Garland for a levee Marlin. So most of my guns are Fuddy. I tell people that there should be waiting periods and regulation for hunting guns as they’re only toys.
    By the same token; M16s, handguns, suppressors and sawn off shotguns should be unregulated. It’s fun to make people twitch.

7. DarrenL

DarrenL NES Member

but FUDDs will whine the loudest that “no one did anything” when the grabbers come for grandpas bolt gun.

8. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

At my club, the most cranky and outspoken 'Fudds' don't own any modern sporting rifles yet vigorously object to any topics that aren't fully supportive of 2A. We have a couple 'just don't take my shotgun' types but mostly we have a good bunch of people. Someone proposed banning 50 bmg and the scathing response would have made NES proud.

Glockster30 and Nick Fury like this.
  9. HerbWest

HerbWest

FUDD=gun owner who preaches individual rights but supports government/industry control over your health care decisions.....mandatory vaccines. Same shit.

10. Nick Fury

Nick Fury

These are not the Fudds you are looking for...

11. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

LOL!

[​IMG]

yogi, Junior314 and Nick Fury like this.
  12. new guy

new guy NES Member

They’re not fudds at all. Fudd is a state of mind. It’s not an age. It’s not about what you spend your money on.

sigfanboy13, drgrant and C. Stockwell like this.
  13. swatgig

swatgig NES Member

Chained together with 999 of my associates at the
    A Fudd told me that AR-15s were too dangerous and didn’t belong in the hands of citizens. He couldn’t answer when I asked what made an AR15 more dangerous than his Mini-14.

He’s great at parroting the arguments he hears on NPR

14. HerbWest

HerbWest

NPR doesn’t present arguments, it’s straight up statist talking points.

xjma99 and Fritz the Cat like this.
  15. Kevin_NH

Kevin_NH NES Member

FUD != Fudd
    [​IMG]
    And don't get me started on the bacronym, Fear Uncertainty Doubt and Disinformation.

16. Thirwell1216

Thirwell1216 NES Member

Fuds come in all ages, shapes, and sizes. The article is missing the fact that most Fudds have severe insecurities. The need to control the action of others to supress their own desires. I have been the end of a few Fudds rage and there is so much crap about themselves being projected on to others it is pathalogical.

This is also called Reaction Formation: Reaction formation - Wikipedia

The reaction formation is a defense mechanism in which emotions and impulses which are anxiety-producing or perceived to be unacceptable are mastered by exaggeration of the directly opposing tendency.The reaction formations belong to neurotic defense mechanisms, which also include dissociation, displacement and repression.

17. fencer

fencer NES Member

I have had exactly one interaction with a FUDD. I took an afternoon off because I knew the club would be empty, and brought my Sig 556.

I was reloading magazines and an older guy sauntered over and asked " Is that thing even legal" I honestly thought he was kidding, so with a smile on my face I said " Shut the f*** up". Only when he stormed off did I realize he was serious. I have never seen him again. Oh well.

18. yogi

yogi NES Member

I am a lucky person, I have never met nor known of a FUDD in my life aside from those quoted, etc. in the media. Thank Goodness! But I know they're out there...sadly...

19. C. Stockwell

C. Stockwell

Get out more, I assure you they're out there.

The first time I saw one was at a House (I think House) committee hearing. Basically he came out and said "oh yeah, I have 30 round mags for my AR, but no one needs them." It was very odd because he wasn't with anyone. The dyed in the wool antis don't attempt to build any sense of camaraderie with gun owners and have a proclivity for just projecting at the committee. I was mostly astounded that someone would show up and say this, rather than... go to work? Do nothing? Go eat dinner?

Second time: there's a kid at my law school who is mostly interested in salt water fishing and fowl/deer hunting. He is not my friend because he doesn't vote, normally does not show up at the state house, refuses to consider getting a carry permit, and has zero interest in anything NFA (we live in RI where NFA stuff is illegal but come on, as a hunter, he should appreciate that silence is golden). Not a gun club or pro-2A group member. Does not compete and refuses to consider competition. No interest in any way showing that he supports the RKBA. If you can't stand up for yourself and the community, we're not friends.

20. alpineboard

alpineboard

I know a fudd who owns an AR15, and suppressors. He shoots extremely well and competes. He just does not understand the big picture, says things like "The NRA ,why don't they do something?", meaning the NRA should allow a good gun control bill that will solve all problems and eliminate evil in all of mankind. He means well, but again , does not understand the big picture, at all. And will not listen past a second sentence of any explanation. There are a whole bunch of these guys at local gun club, which is why I do not got there to much. I could go on , why bother....?

21. Cipher

Cipher NES Member

Fudds are total buzzkills. Cant be trusted worth a damn.

22. walking wolf

walking wolf

Um...

"Do I not destroy my enemy when I make him my friend?" - Abraham Lincoln

“Indeed in nothing is the power of the Dark Lord more clearly shown than in the estrangement that divides all those who still oppose him.” - from The Lord of the Rings

I understand & share the anger at gun owners who don't support the Second Amendment and do support idiocy like semiauto bans, but does it really help our cause to be alienating people who could be our allies? Maybe there's a way to turn these people to our side?

I know it's possible, because it happened to me. I wasn't a gun owner, but I was in favor of gun control. Not any more, though.

alpineboard and MuzzleDiscipline like this.
  23. C. Stockwell

C. Stockwell

Few points:

First, there are different kinds of FUDDs although they all typify the same mindset. A guy who simply does not want to play well with others will not play well with others. A guy who likes to be a big fish in a small pond has no intention of entering a bigger pond. FUDDs overall though are normally unable or unwilling to accept: 1) the opinions and experience of others; 2) facts and data; 3) new ideas.

Second, are these the kind of people that should be converted? Is the person as a person going to be an asset or a liability? Is he a great guy who volunteers every weekend for the local Sunday school and little league team or does he say things that are unsettling (like about minorities and or women)?

Third, is it worth your time? Do you have the time and energy to go out and convert everyone?

My dad used to not be open to ideas like MSRs, etc. Now he has a carry permit (in RI, which is not a requirement for ownership) and a C&R and shoots USPSA. I kept on him about being open to new ideas. So yeah, it can be done, but is it worth it to you?

alpineboard likes this.
  24. alpineboard

alpineboard

I hear you WW, and wish it were so, and in some cases maybe, but some cases will never be. One pistol shooter is a dem tried and true and anti gunner for eternity, to the point of mocking pro gunners at the gun club, like I said, I do not frequent the place.
    One phrase I've learned with people, "you have shown me who you are." Now it is up to me to make the right move, for myself.

25. new guy

new guy NES Member

I don’t know many people in that demographic who aren’t too stubborn and set in their ways to waste the time on.

26. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

you obviously dont go to gun club breakfast?