Fudd Rules Instituted At My Club

OfficerObie59

NES Member
So before I complain about this, let me first say the club's goal is entirely understandable--to a point. Some of the damage is normal wear and tear, and shooting over the berms and backstops is an issue that can get clubs closed. With that said, I walked up to my clubs' range this weekend and found this posting:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341386190.786432.jpg

Did they ever consider that they have these issues not because members are rapid firing 30 round mags, but because some people can't hit the broadside of a barn? Another issue is that the particular members who used to do a great deal of the maintenance on the range recently stopped doing so because of a dispute with other e-board members; makes me wonder if no one really knew how much wear and tear there actually was until someone else ran the maintenance.

If you want to fix the problem, I don't know why they don't have a required qual like a number of other 200 yard club ranges. They require a live fire prior to using the indoor range; why the outside would be any different.

I can't imagine Ill be around still if any of the "proposed changes" takes hold.

[rant off]

I know Andover already has those same rules. One time the RO came around and even made those of us shooting revolvers take one round out of the cylinder. I was shooting my 92FS and I had to unload four mags down to 5 each. That sucked!

Hey, Sheriff Taylor only allowed Barney Fife one bullet!

That just sucks... five rounds is just getting warmed up and does not address the problem at hand. Any more than burdening legal gun owners with BS laws fixes the problem of gun violence in the inner cities.

start dumping five round mags, see if they drop the number down to single shot only.

you'll get really good with your reloads at least.

If folks are concerned about how their club is being managed, they need to participate in that management. Same as government. If you stand back and just bitch then others will make the rules for you. Not saying you will always be sucessful, but you will know that you tried. I've been a club member for years and have served on the board and attend most meetings, but there's many other members that never make the effort.
Jim

View attachment 34200

Who ever and whom ever thought of this sign, wrote this sign, printed this sign, hung this sign do not belong in a gun club. It is ridiculous. [frown] You should really not associate with these poeple.

Last edited:
That's what happens when the people in charge are cowards and would rather punish everyone than single people out in the first place and throw them out. All of these rules stem from people not having the balls to call people out on an individual basis and set them straight. If someone is going to be there to enforce a 5 round rule, they instead could just be there to enforce existing rules and throw out people who aren't following them.

If no one is enforcing "don't shoot over the berm" why would anyone think adding more rules will solve the problem!

Last edited:
That's what happens when the people in charge are cowards and would rather punish everyone than single people out in the first place and throw them out. All of these rules stem from people not having the balls to call people out on an individual basis and set them straight. If someone is going to be there to enforce a 5 round rule, they instead could just be there to enforce existing rules and throw out people who aren't following them.

If no one is enforcing "don't shoot over the berm" why would anyone think adding more rules will solve the problem!

I'm not a member of that club. I've been an officer and board member at a different club. We have had issues with people shooting things that shouldn't be shot. The problem isn't that the board doesn't have the balls to throw people out. The problem is knowing who to throw out. Many clubs aren't heavily used, so often people are by themselves. If someone is by themselves when they shoot a round over the berm, it is awfully hard to know which idiot did it.

Trust me, I've been there and done that. I've gone through our sign-in log many times, trying to determine which of these 5 people might be the perpetrator.

Please note, I'm not defending that club's rules.

If folks are concerned about how their club is being managed, they need to participate in that management. Same as government. If you stand back and just bitch then others will make the rules for you. Not saying you will always be sucessful, but you will know that you tried. I've been a club member for years and have served on the board and attend most meetings, but there's many other members that never make the effort.
Jim
I've seen plenty of people try to get involved and make changes, only to be ignored, shut out, and sometimes run out of the club.

Just ask the MassGOP Ron Paul delegates...

I'm not a member of that club. I've been an officer and board member at a different club. We have had issues with people shooting things that shouldn't be shot. The problem isn't that the board doesn't have the balls to throw people out. The problem is knowing who to throw out. Many clubs aren't heavily used, so often people are by themselves. If someone is by themselves when they shoot a round over the berm, it is awfully hard to know which idiot did it.

Trust me, I've been there and done that. I've gone through our sign-in log many times, trying to determine which of these 5 people might be the perpetrator.

Please note, I'm not defending that club's rules.

That's exactly my point. Nobody is enforcing the current rules, so how the hell does adding more rules help? Answer: It doesn't. But hey, that's how our entire country ended up like it is now. People think passing more rules into effect will stop the rule breakers [rolleyes]

- - - Updated - - -

Create two ranges, one berm, facing each other. Shooting skills will improve.

[rofl]

You forgot to say do it with the berm at a lower elevation in the center.

I've seen plenty of people try to get involved and make changes, only to be ignored, shut out, and sometimes run out of the club.

That's why I left Riverside. Had a motion made AND seconded on the board... the President said, and I quote, "We talked about that a few months ago. We're not going to talk about that again."

That doesn't fly at Harvard.

Jim

Absolutely true. And if I bear any responsibility in this matter, it's not being involved more. Between working two jobs, going to school 3 nights a week, it's tough to make meetings.

With that said, I always pay my dues on time and always give the REQUESTED volunteer time every year. On top of that, the club rarely sends out any notifications or newsletters other than reminders for dues and a recent access change notification. Seems to me a change of this magnitude should have warranted at least an email.
Obie:

How did the rule get instituded - I mean, was it a BoD decision, was it Membership, or is the Chairman of that range making the call?

I believe it was the May Member meeting. Unfortunately I was busy studying for final exams and couldn't make it.

Last edited:

Just ask the MassGOP Ron Paul delegates...

That's why I left Riverside. Had a motion made AND seconded on the board... the President said, and I quote, "We talked about that a few months ago. We're not going to talk about that again."

That doesn't fly at Harvard.

Hey, no rabble-rousers! That's the way they've been doing it, and it has worked since their father was a club member in the 1950'-70's.

That's exactly my point. Nobody is enforcing the current rules, so how the hell does adding more rules help?

No, that was not your point. Your point was that the board didn't have the balls to throw people out. How can you throw someone out when you don't know who is doing it? And how are you going to find out who is doing it? Are you going to volunteer to be a range officer every hour the club is open? Didn't think so.

I've been in this situation. And this crap happens at every club. Go to the indoor range at every club and look up at the overhead baffles -- you'll see where bullets have hit the baffles. Pick one of those impacts out and find out who did it.

I have suspended members from a club. If I could have figured out who was doing some of the crap at our club, I would have booted out other members. But I can't discipline someone when I can't prove who is doing it, and I can't be at the club 24x7.

There aren't any easy answers.

Last edited:
Yeah, we have bullet holes in the roof at the outdoor range, even with the 5 round rule. Maybe we should go to four?

Back
Top Bottom