• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fudd Quotes at The Range

I have a few stories, not sure how "fuddy" they are.

1. Is that a suppressor, is that illegal? In regards to my Ruger Mk4's TK compensator as I screwed it on.

2. This one dude in a cowboy hat came up to the range from his car, 1911 in hand with the gun properly flagged and pointed at the ground, mag in the other hand. Stands up to the line, shoots WW2 style one hand, proceeds to not hit anything but the berm, and immediately leaves (at least he didn't hit the roof or walls). This entire thing happened in a 30 seconds.

3. Lastly there is this one 55ish guy who "teaches" new people how to shoot (as in they pay him because they don't know better). Every time I see him at the range I cringe. He is a god-awful instructor. All he does is yell "FRONT SIGHT" at them as they teacup a pistol. When they miss he just yells "FRONT SIGHT" more/louder. Hey a$$hole, teach them how to hold it properly first and then work on the rest. If I could get them away from him for like 3 minutes I could show them how to hold it for free, but I really don't want to deal with the "instructor."

At my former R&G club about 15 years ago. I'm at the outdoor pistol range which is separated from the rifle range by a large berm. It's built that way so rifle shooters can be downrange while pistol shooters shoot and vice versa. I'm all the way to the left and there's a guy on the rifle range all the way to the right. We were the only people on the range and we were as far away from each other as we could get and still be on the range. The rifle guy is sitting at the bench tinkering with his rifle, and i was standing at the pistol range target shooting. I had just bought a new pocket pistol and I was practicing pulling the gun from my front pocket holster and double tapping the taget. Then I'd put the gun back in my pocket and repeat for a couple of magazines worth of ammo, about 12 rounds.
The rifle dude walks up to me and starts giving me shit. He's mad because I didn't come over and introduce myself and he's even madder that I'm drawing and firing from my pocket. I asked him if drawing from a holster would annoy him too. He said, "no, that's what holsters are for". I told him I was using a pocket holster, but he said those were dangerous. I told him to go away and quit bugging me before he lost some teeth. He back peddled and mumbled something about calling the police.
I haven't been to a range since. Luckily, my back yard borders a few hundred acres of state forest so I no longer need to be around range douches.

Only fudd comments I get are old guys with O/Us complaining that I load 4 on positions 1,2,6,7. Many of them also can't seem to grasp the concept of basic firearm safety.

Are those reloads?
Aren't you afraid they will blow up your gun?
And when they don't - was it hard to learn?
Could you teach me?

Last edited:
Are those reloads?
Aren't you afraid they will blow up your gun?
And when they dont - was it hard to learn?
Could you teach me?
I’ll admit, I’ve had both of those thoughts. I’d only admit such with the anonymity of nes.

Am I all fuddy?

After telling a mouth breather on the trap range to watch his muzzle after being swept the second time:

"Its unloaded"

The clay shooting guys are the WORST with gun safety!

THIS

Worst muzzle discipline I’ve seen and they get pissed when you say something

I was standing on the firing line of the rifle range, one other guy on the pistol range at the other end of the line. I was shooting steel at 100 yards, presenting from low ready, acquire, 2 hits, safe, back to low ready. Guy comes over after a bit and tells me I can’t shoot unless I’m sitting at a bench. I’ve been a member for like 10 years, there’s no rule that says that. Never saw the guy before. I just said,”oh” and kept doing what I was doing.

I was at Cabelas and asked an employee in reloading section where the .45 hollow point bullets were FUDD employee replies "Why you planning on killing someone?"
I was totally taken back by the ignorance.

This is the wise ass shit id say if i worked retail. Id be expecting the proper retort:

"Why? Do you know of something better?"

Went to my club meeting last week. One of the club directors brought up carrying open and concealed on the range under the guise of “open/closed” range. He didn’t think it was a good idea. This will be my last year with this club.

Last edited:
I have no idea what this means.
In a game of skeet you shoot from eight different positions. On four of them you take four shots, on the rest only two. Fudds get annoyed when I load four in order to shoot four - they want you to load two, shoot, then load two more to shoot again.

In a game of skeet you shoot from eight different positions. On four of them you take four shots, on the rest only two. Fudds get annoyed when I load four in order to shoot four - they want you to load two, shoot, then load two more to shoot again.
I get your sentiment on this.....however it is in most club rukes that you can oy load 2 shells to shoot a double. It is also in the national skeet shooting assn (nssa) rule book that oy 2 shells may be loaded.

Last edited:
That’s not a bad thing, I’ll do it it someone asks, slowing down a little actually helped me focus on the fundamentals.

And the way the complaints on here bout being muzzle swept by shotgunners it’s a plus.
It's also in the national skeet shooting assn ruke book that only 2 shells may be loaded.

In a game of skeet you shoot from eight different positions. On four of them you take four shots, on the rest only two.

Ah! I'm familiar with five-stand, sporting clays, and trap, but not skeet. I didn't know there eight skeet positions. My instinct was right, I just didn't know the details.

A BOD member who later became club president for quite a few years (he's the reason I quit that club after 24 yrs):
  • Requested the BOD to shut down the outdoor range whenever skeet or trap was being shot as the noise "bothered" him and some of his friends (he was skeet/trap chairman at the time).
  • The 1998 gun law won't affect us, it might affect our grandchildren.
  • I know all about the 1998 gun law since I have lunch with the clerk of court each week. [This was just before the law went into effect.]
  • We put a restriction of only allowing 6 rds to be loaded on the outdoor range and 5 rds on the indoor range at any time. When I asked him "why" the answer was due to the incident in Westfield (8 yo killed himself with an out of control micro-Uzi).
From a former FFL and now convicted felon:
  • You can buy new large-capacity mags. That was a silly law that expired!

Tite Group?

Is there a “Tacticool Dude” thread also? So I can bitch about the knucklehead who showed me his new AK by pointing it at me?

There may have been a thread along the lines of that...

I really don't mind other people having all the Tactical Andy fun they want so long as it isn't a bonafide safety issue. 'Operating' down to front and center of the 50 yard berm while I am actively shooting to the 100 yard berm about 10 yards to the right of the 50 berm? Yeah, I kinda have a problem with that but it's their Darwin award. Also if you can't keep from blowing the target frames to splinters, time to slow down and/or change to a closer target.

I don't participate in sanctioned skeet matches so the Fudds can go pound sand with their two-shell Fudd shotguns. As long as I'm safe, who cares? I also like to shoot on report on position seven, so what?

I've got an anti Fudd quote - younger guy shows up to the range with a brand new SCAR, and the only mag he has is the 10 rounder that came with it.
Buddy I'm shooting with gives him a pre-ban 30-round, and tells him "if he ever sees the cripple mag tainting his rifle again we are going to tape it to a target backer on the 50."

I've got an anti Fudd quote - younger guy shows up to the range with a brand new SCAR, and the only mag he has is the 10 rounder that came with it.
Buddy I'm shooting with gives him a pre-ban 30-round, and tells him "if he ever sees the cripple mag tainting his rifle again we are going to tape it to a target backer on the 50."
That's epic! I always have a few 30's when the AR travels, I'll keep that idea in mind:)

Usually the Tacticool Doods are blasting their target frames to splinters from the bench at 25 yards, whilst the riflemen in the offhand match are hitting them in the black at 100 yards standing ;)

Back
Top Bottom