FTF Transfer Issue

So, you may have seen the thread about my Brothers stolen gun being found. Anyway, we went to police station and they retuned it to us. Legally, my brother ownes the gun, but he no longer hasan LTC. The dectective gave it to me to bring home and told me to file the transfer online. Problem is, on that website, it requires Sellers LTC number...which he does not have....what do we do??

Well since you typed this, you now need to take it to an FFL and have them transfer it to you.
This is correct. It now needs to go through an FFL. You will likely need your brother to go with you to do the transfer as it goes from your brother to the FFL and then the FFL to you. Some FFLs may permit you to show up with just a photo copy of your brothers ID.

Correct. Just be prepared: If it's not on the EOPS Roster and you can't prove that it was in MA on/before 10/21/1998, many FFLs will refuse to touch it.

Do you want to bet on that? ANY handgun must meet the criteria called out in C. 140 S. 123 and be on the roster.

Len, true in legal terms, false in practical terms- it just has to be something the dealer is willing to transfer. If a dealer throws gnomish mysticism and says "I can transfer it" then they can do it, lol... but you knew this
already. Maybe the OP has an FFL that already doesn't care about such things. There are lots of dealers that will rugsweep old stuff that they reasonably believe was already owned in MA or
whatever.

-Mike

Correct. Just be prepared: If it's not on the EOPS Roster and you can't prove that it was in MA on/before 10/21/1998, many FFLs will refuse to touch it.

Len, true in legal terms, false in practical terms- it just has to be something the dealer is willing to transfer. If a dealer throws gnomish mysticism and says "I can transfer it" then they can do it, lol... but you knew this
already. Maybe the OP has an FFL that already doesn't care about such things. There are lots of dealers that will rugsweep old stuff that they reasonably believe was already owned in MA or
whatever.

-Mike

Agreed. Please note my 1st post (above) that I used "many" not "all" for a good reason. [smile]

If it’s not on the roster wouldn’t the detective have kept it?

Handgun compliance bullshit = only applies vs MA licensed dealers, and only in the specific act of selling or doing a transfer on a handgun... Nothing and nobody else beyond those qualifiers. It would never prevent a PD from returning someones property back to its owner, etc.

-Mike

Handgun compliance bullshit = only applies vs MA licensed dealers, and only in the specific act of selling or doing a transfer on a handgun... Nothing and nobody else beyond those qualifiers. It would never prevent a PD from returning someones property back to its owner, etc.

-Mike
You would think there would be a carve out in the law for a special PD transfer of firearm "evidence" in the efa10 system

Back
Top Bottom