FTF Protocols

Myself I would go to your local gun store and do it though them, costs very little and with all the law suits out there why open yourself to one. Do it though the gun store than their liable not you.

Myself I would go to your local gun store and do it though them, costs very little and with all the law suits out there why open yourself to one. Do it though the gun store than their liable not you.

Of course the real downside to that approach is the fact that there are a hell of a lot of guns that are perfectly legal for you to own and to sell to another properly licensed resident, but which a licensed dealer (e.g., your local gun store) cannot legally transfer.

Ken

...Or instead of being afraid of a law suit and liability, you could be brave and do a FTF with someone. I guess if you've never done one before, it may be a bit intimidating. I was a little sceptical with my first FTF transaction with an NES Member, and ya know what...He's been a friend of mine to this very day now.

That's part of the reason why we've even established our very own "Feedback" subforum, so you can search for feedback about NESrs. You will find that 99.9% of the feedback is all positive with regards to any transaction. The 0.01% that you may still be concerned about had nothing to do with the deal gone bad, it was more that the prospective buyer backed out last minute after saying he'd buy it.

My point...You can be weary of FTF and do all your transactions via an FFL if you choose, but you are missing out on much by avoiding the possibility of a FTF deal.

Just my 0.02

Where in the world do you get these FA 10 forms? My local PD said they've never heard of them and Manchester Firing line says the same...

What the hey?

Sean

I don't believe NH has FA-10 forms. I have asked a few times at Ma. police stations and after I say FA-10 and get a dumb look, I say the form to transfer a firearms.

Uh! You can't do a FTF with a MA Resident unless both seller and buyer are BOTH MA Residents. This is Fed Law, penalty in the "big house"!

Between states, the buyer (if a MA Resident) would have to go thru a MA Dealer (who then does the FA-10), but the handgun would either have to be on the EOPS List or "in MA" on 10/21/98 for the dealer to conclude this transaction.

FA-10 forms are SUPPOSED to be at every PD in MA, free for pickup by anyone who walks in and asks for them. Ask for a "firearms transfer" form and they may know what you are looking for. If not, go to another PD and ask there.

Uh! You can't do a FTF with a MA Resident unless both seller and buyer are BOTH MA Residents. This is Fed Law, penalty in the "big house"!

Between states, the buyer (if a MA Resident) would have to go thru a MA Dealer (who then does the FA-10), but the handgun would either have to be on the EOPS List or "in MA" on 10/21/98 for the dealer to conclude this transaction.

What is the seller is a MA resident, and the buyer is from CT? The CT resident can't go up to MA and buy the firearm from a resident, nor a dealer.... but could the MA resident take the firearm into CT and sell it FTF to a CT resident?

What is the seller is a MA resident, and the buyer is from CT? The CT resident can't go up to MA and buy the firearm from a resident, nor a dealer.... but could the MA resident take the firearm into CT and sell it FTF to a CT resident?

NO. A non-FFL may only sell to a resident of his state, in that state, with ONE exception. A non-FFL may sell and ship to an FFL regardless of where the FFL is.

So, if you are a Mass resident, and not an FFL, you may NOT sell to a CT resident, no matter how you try it.

Just so you know, the penalty for this is either 10 years or 20 years.

So, if you're from Mass, and want to sell it to someone from CT, then run it through his local FFL.

but could the MA resident take the firearm into CT and sell it FTF to a CT resident?

No. What Nickle says is correct. No FTF sales between unlicensed (aka non-FFL) individuals across state lines according to federal law. The MA resident would have to deliver the firearm to a CT FFL who could then transfer it to the CT resident.

TITLE 18, UNITED STATE CODE, CHAPTER 44, Section 922 (a)(3)

So, if you are a Mass resident, and not an FFL, you may NOT sell to a CT resident, no matter how you try it.

Oh, come on, you're just not trying hard enough. You could bequeath it to them in exchange for the money, and then kill yourself [wink]

Last edited:
Anybody know the rules for CT? Do I need forms, etc. We don't require any cards or license for rifles/shotguns. As long as the person isn't a felon - you're good.

I may do a Face to Face for a firearm I am trying to sell/trade.

Seems like meeting in a parking lot, etc would be very shady if some soccer mom saw you and decided to call the police on you.

Anybody know the rules for CT? Do I need forms, etc. We don't require any cards or license for rifles/shotguns. As long as the person isn't a felon - you're good.

Seems like meeting in a parking lot, etc would be very shady if some soccer mom saw you and decided to call the police on you.

Directly from the CT Department of Public Safety website:

Private Sale of Firearms

Pistols and Revolvers
Federal Law states you may only buy a handgun in the state in which you reside.

You can only buy a handgun in Connecticut, if in addition to being a resident, you have a valid Permit to carry Pistols or Revolvers, a valid Eligibility Certificate, if you are a licensed Firearms Dealer or if you are a Sworn Police Officer.

A DPS-67-C and a DPS-3-C (4 copies) must be completed. The seller of the handgun must contact the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit at (860) 685-8400, or 1-(888) 335-8438 and obtain an authorization number for that sale. This number is to be added to both forms. The DPS-67-C is to be retained by the seller for 20 years. The seller should retain the original copy their records, give one copy to the purchaser as a receipt, submit one copy to the local police authority where the purchaser resides and submit a final copy to the Commissioner of Public Safety.

Rifles and Shotguns
Sales of long arms between non-licensed dealers, commonly referred to as second hand sales, require no paperwork or notification, however, it is strongly recommended that all firearms be voluntarily registered. In the event of loss or theft of firearm this will provide easy retrieval of information for insurance or police information and assure return of recovered property. (exception: sales conducted at gun shows require NICS authorization check and transfer paperwork) The only restrictions are the seller may not sell to anyone under 18 years of age, or to anyone the seller knows is prohibited from possessing firearms.

There's a whole other longer category for "Assault Weapons"...I'll let you read that over on the website.

Here's a handy website for CT sales. I've done all mine sales FTF in the parking lots of gun stores... that way, even if someone did see you, it wouldn't be a big deal.

http://www.ctgunlaws.com/sale.htm

You'll need 1 copy of DPS-67-C, which you keep.
You'll need 4 copies of DPS-3-C, of which you keep one, the buyer keeps one, you mail one to the DPS, and you mail one to the buyer's local police department.

The forms contain the mailing address for the DPS and the number you need to call to get the sales authorization number. Don't forgot, like I almost did, that you can only do sales Monday - Saturday. The number isn't available on Sundays.

edit: Beat me by 4 minutes dreppucci007!

I have a question, I know someone from SIG whos a NH resident, who's going to be getting a MA compliant model and transferring it to me, as long as it is MA compliant it can be transferred to me in MA on a eFA10 correct?

I have a question, I know someone from SIG whos a NH resident, who's going to be getting a MA compliant model and transferring it to me, as long as it is MA compliant it can be transferred to me in MA on a eFA10 correct?

No. If it is a compliant rifle you can transfer it via a NH FFL then fill out a FA10 for registration in MA or have it shipped directly to a MA FFL. If it is a compliant handgun you must transfer it via a MA FFL, that is a federal law.

No. If it is a compliant rifle you can transfer it via a NH FFL then fill out a FA10 for registration in MA or have it shipped directly to a MA FFL. If it is a compliant handgun you must transfer it via a MA FFL, that is a federal law.

So he can still transfer it to me from out of state but it would have to be through a MA FFL, if I'm understanding you right?

Back
Top Bottom