FT8

JDL

NES Member
I just set up the WSJT-X software and a Signalink sound card. I found FT8 to be very addictive.
The learning curve was not as difficult as I thought it would be and a lot of contacts can be made in a short period of time even when the bands seem to be down for SSB even DX contacts. I recommend this mode to anyone and also this mode can open up a whole new operating experience for the technician license holder.
N1HM

Yeah. Secured 8BWAS, (need 4 on 12m for that band) as a direct result of FT-8 and it's predecessor JT-65-
This weekend is WAECW though, but condx are rough.

Really enjoy FT-8 on the WARC bands and 60m.

Cool 6m QSOs;

image.png

I have been working 20meters however I have made contacts on 17meters I don't even use 17 for SSB . I also don't use 6 very often however now with FT8 I will work it when becomes open .
N1HM

I agree, I've been experimenting with antennas and trying with 5-15 watts, but I have gone up to 35 watts to get heard on a bad day! The automation felt a little weird at first but overall I get why ft8 has become so popular. I've got a 6m dipole ready for when a day off aligns with an opening.

DE7A023E-2DF5-4ACB-A949-04F819300208.png Putting a Raspberry Pi 4B and CRKits D4D FT8 DSB mini-TxRx rig together to run FT8 20m from a Elecraft AX1 loaded whip stuck on hotel windows with suction cups. I’ve tried the antenna with a WSPRlite and it works well.

I just set up the WSJT-X software and a Signalink sound card. I found FT8 to be very addictive.
The learning curve was not as difficult as I thought it would be and a lot of contacts can be made in a short period of time even when the bands seem to be down for SSB even DX contacts. I recommend this mode to anyone and also this mode can open up a whole new operating experience for the technician license holder.
N1HM
View attachment 299861 Putting a Raspberry Pi 4B and CRKits D4D FT8 DSB mini-TxRx rig together to run FT8 20m from a Elecraft AX1 loaded whip stuck on hotel windows with suction cups. I’ve tried the antenna with a WSPRlite and it works well.

I can't have an outside antenna.

Can this FT-8 work inside or with an antenna next to a window?

Can you recommend an antenna for an apartment without access to the attic?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khyXnt4a-mM

AX1_AX1 Multi-Band Whip Antenna

Also, what sort of Yaesu transceiver would work with all this?

I like Yaesu.

I downloaded and installed the WSJT-X software on my Mac. I got the program to work although is is just using the mic to get sound.

I'll need a sound card like the Signalink. I might need the proper connector for a:

I have a Yaesu VX-6R.

Would all the above items get me on the air?

Last edited:
N1HM
Be sure to download the latest version of WSJT-X, v2.1.0 so that you can also utilize FT4. Don't forget to try out the WSPR mode as well. 73, de W1RVL

I have done FT-4 however I have not tried WSPR
Reptile
As far as a set up for FT-8 some new radios do not need a external sound card older radios will need a sound card and if you go on Tigertronics Signlink they have a sound card set up to be used with a VX8r and the Signlink USB sound card . I don't know how VHF FT-8 is because I have never tried it out .

Dunno Yaesu - I started with a FT-897. Fried it. Got an Elecraft K3s and never looked back. Now that the K4 is ordering, you can get a K3s/100W for cheap!

I just finished my CRKits D4D DSB Ft8 20m build ($59 shipped from http://crkits.com/ ) and am getting spots on 1W from NH to TX and CA Labor Day late afternoon from a G5RV 150ft from my shack. It’s gotta be 10s of mW going out. A Soundblaster Creative 3 USB sound dongle plugged into my Win10 PC does fine.

FT4 - wait, what, wait, what, oh...missed it again. I think my sweet spot is FT8 Here’s the “definitive guide” https://www.g4ifb.com/FT8_Hinson_tips_for_HF_DXers.pdf

Over the last two days I have gone down this FT8 rabbit hole.
Not sure how I feel about it yet other than I know it will never top CW or even RTTY for my interests, but it has been fun geeking out on the software and I can see how portable ops would be neat.

It is pretty clear that the portion of the bands they are using are packed to the gills with signals, over packed actually. Look at the waterfall in the photo below, 15 meters is wall to wall signals in a 3kHz passband.

I will say it is helpful having a 32 inch monitor to spread out and run all the bells & whistles like Grid Tracker and a N1MM rotator for my Yagi.

iShClk4.jpg

🐯

Over the last two days I have gone down this FT8 rabbit hole.
Not sure how I feel about it yet other than I know it will never top CW or even RTTY for my interests, but it has been fun geeking out on the software and I can see how portable ops would be neat.

It is pretty clear that the portion of the bands they are using are packed to the gills with signals, over packed actually. Look at the waterfall in the photo below, 15 meters is wall to wall signals in a 3kHz passband.

I will say it is helpful having a 32 inch monitor to spread out and run all the bells & whistles like Grid Tracker and a N1MM rotator for my Yagi.

iShClk4.jpg

🐯
My FT8 work comes and goes - I’ve done WAS (worked all states) and 13 Colonies (early July with 13 special event stations), etc. I have a ZachTech running in the attic off a RPi to beacon 10-80m 200mW on a MyAntennas 10-80m endfed antenna strung from my attic window to a tall pine. It’s good to assess propagation at any given time from my QTH. Here’s my spots since Nov2021.

827D091E-3B7C-4A8E-B8CF-77EC696FCF50.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom