• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FS2000 / Tavor need to be pinned and welded ?

Wondering if bullpup Tavor and FS2000 barrels need to be pinned and welded.

I see one "evil feature" detachable magazine, and wondering if the grip counts.

Slightly pedantic correction on this, the detachable magazine is not one of the "evil features", it is a prerequisite to being an assault weapon. If it doesn't have a detachable magazine, it cannot be an assault weapon, no matter how many evil features it has.

For example, for a rifle to be an AW, it must be:
a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--

(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon ;
(iii) a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) a grenade launcher;

So if it's semiautomatic, accepts detachable magazines, and has a pistol grip and a flash hider/threaded barrel, it's an AW. While it hasn't been tested in court, it's probably safe to assume the grip on a Tavor would be considered a "pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action".

Last edited:
I can see that on the Tavor. The FS2000 seems less of a "pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action". Being in MA though, I guess its better safe than sorry and pin/weld the damn thing. Thanks.

Yeah I wouldn't consider that FS2000 a pistol grip any more than I would consider the VEPR a pistol grip.

there are dealers in MA who sell the tavor w flash hider because they feel it doesn't have a pistol grip. i'm not here to say this is correct or incorrect. personally i just assume anything that even remotely appears like a pistol grip would be considered a pistol grip and play it safe by pin-welding a brake. YMMV.

- - - Updated - - -

So a mini 14 or M1A could have a flash hider?
ggboy

the mini 14 tactical models have a flash hider on them and many MA shops sell them.

- - - Updated - - -

Wondering if bullpup Tavor and FS2000 barrels need to be pinned and welded.

I see one "evil feature" detachable magazine, and wondering if the grip counts.

for me, since a suppressor is not an option, i have no use for a threaded barrel and don't feel nearly as bad welding a brake on there. in the case of tavor 16", the biggest issue w muzzle brake is you've got the muzzle awfully close to shooters face spitting gas everywhere. just my findings YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom