• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Front sight problem - Marlin 795SS

not new guy

NES Member
Alright, so I decided to leave the herd and get a Marlin 22lr rifle instead of the standard Ruger 10/22 and maybe this is what I get, but after putting a set of Tech-Sights on I noticed that the front sight is lined up with the receiver, which the rear sight is attached to.

It seems like the whole barrel is rotated 5-10 degrees to the left of where it should be, which may not be a huge problem if you're using the stock folding sight which is also attached to the barrel (and which is consequently also 5-10 to the left), but which is most definitely a problem where I'm using a rear sight that's on the receiver's rail.

I called Marlin and explained the situation. The guy who answered said I could send it back in, but he wasn't sure that they all wouldn't have that problem. He said the rails were probably intended for a scope, in which case it probably wouldn't be an issue. I didn't press the issue or reject the response as unacceptable, just thanked him and hung up.

I'm thinking a quicker and easier solution may be to have somebody drill a new hole in the stainless barrel for the front sight that I can use instead. The front sight will still cover the original hole, so that isn't an issue, but I have no idea if this is the right choice or who I would go to with the drilling request.

Your thoughts and guidance are appreciated.

Your silence is appreciated as well, but not as much as the name of somebody reliable who could tap a hole in a stainless barrel would be. [smile]

I would post over at rimfircentral.com and see if there are others that have experienced this problem. There are a lot of Marlin folks there so if this is a common problem, I'm sure they are aware of it.

If it's not a common problem, I would definitely prefer to send the gun back to Marlin so they can make it right instead of having a new hole drilled and tapped.

Thanks - I'll head over, but I did find at least 2 other people online who had the same problem. One person sent it to Marlin and got the rifle back 8 weeks later still listing to port, just not as bad as it was previously.

I wonder if Marlin has Kyle Korver aligning their barrels these days.

fld36v.jpg

The mere thought of sending the rifle back to Marlin only to have it come back maybe fixed aggervates me.

I would just bring the rifle to my gunsmith and have a new hole drilled and tapped. The turn around time would be much quicker and I know it would be fixed properly.

Do as you wish though seeing as the rifle is under warranty.

Back
Top Bottom