Front sight for a G34

What would a good fiber front sight be for a G34? I will probaly go with a Dawson but was wondering on size/color,I think I will leave the rear sight alone for now. Thanks

What would a good fiber front sight be for a G34? I will probaly go with a Dawson but was wondering on size/color,I think i will leave the rear sight alone for now. Thanks

Is this carry or target? If it's for carry, I wouldn't waste the money.....go with a set of Trijicon tritium night sights.

What would a good fiber front sight be for a G34? I will probaly go with a Dawson but was wondering on size/color,I think I will leave the rear sight alone for now. Thanks

I shoot my 34 in IDPA and have a Dawson red FO front sight. Love it. I also kept my stock adjustable rear sight but blacked the white outline out (so it's just a black rear sight now).

Who carries a G34?

These days....you never know. I remember a customer at a shop once, he wanted to buy a very nice Colt 1911A1 that had about $1200 in work done to it (trigger job, match barrel, precision adjustable sights, etc.). When the owner found out it was for CCW, he refused to sell it to the guy. It takes all kinds

I shoot my 34 in IDPA and have a Dawson red FO front sight. Love it. I also kept my stock adjustable rear sight but blacked the white outline out (so it's just a black rear sight now).

What size did you place on the 34? How did you blacken out the rear sights too?

These days....you never know. I remember a customer at a shop once, he wanted to buy a very nice Colt 1911A1 that had about $1200 in work done to it (trigger job, match barrel, precision adjustable sights, etc.). When the owner found out it was for CCW, he refused to sell it to the guy. It takes all kinds

Which shop was this so I can know to either: A: Keep my mouth shut while buying something there ; or B: Not buy anything from there, ever.

-Mike

I went with a dawson adjustable rear and a plain black front. For use with the dawson adj. rear, you will want a .300" high front, and the width is up to personal preference. I went with a .100" wide front as I like the sight picture with some light on either side of the front blade.
I have tried both the fiber front and plain front and finally settled on the plain.

Steve

Which shop was this so I can know to either: A: Keep my mouth shut while buying something there ; or B: Not buy anything from there, ever.

-Mike

It was in Webster....forget the name of it (my Dad took me there). I agree with the shopkeeper though. It was completely innappropriate for CCW. The friction alone would have killed the rear sights. This thing was specifically tailored for serious target shooting.

I carried my 17L once, just to say I could do it. I had to wear a large winter coat, though..... [laugh]

-Mike

I've actually carried my Colt 1911 limited edition two times. But only on special occassions when I am in a suit and I have a custom stitched holster that doesn't let anything rub on the finish or engraving.

Havn't gotten around to it for some reason. Don't know why because I use it all the time, but a few years back I was checking out the meprolight set up.
I'm not crazy about the rear flimsy adjustable stock sight it comes with but I've dealt with it.

Scooter- honestly- YOU need to see what works best for you. I'm assuming since you are considering FO sights you aren't using this for defensive purposes. If it's for sport find what works- it may be that you'll need to try some different ones.

I like Black on Black with adjustable rears. I like to see a VERY simple sight picture. And for IDPA/USPSA what does the FO really get me? Sure I see it quick but for close shots my indexing gets me close enough anyway. For difficult shots I want to know exactly where my POI is (hence adj rear) and the variability of the FO intensity distracts me. You need to find out what works for YOUR eyes under YOUR conditions.

EDIT: btw- if you are just starting out you can use anything for now. There are lots of fundamentals to "focus" on.

It was in Webster....forget the name of it (my Dad took me there). I agree with the shopkeeper though. It was completely innappropriate for CCW. The friction alone would have killed the rear sights. This thing was specifically tailored for serious target shooting.

Yeah but what business of it is the FFLs what I am going to use the gun for?

Gee, if I was an FFL I wouldn't sell a gun to anyone who had no intention of ever firing it, because I think keeping working guns around and not shooting them ever is dumb...... Not. Even if I think it's dumb, part of business is giving the customer what they want. If the customer is happy and you're getting the money, then what difference does it make?

I suppose I could see the dealer's point if the buyer was a newb, but even then.... there's a difference between "You probably shouldn't buy this gun for that purpose" and "I'm not going to sell you that gun because what you want to do with it is absurd. " I suppose there's a line in the sand somewhere, obviously.... like if someone came looking to buy with stated nefarious intent, I don't think anyone would sell them a gun.

-Mike

What size did you place on the 34? How did you blacken out the rear sights too?

I believe I used this one: http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=21F0000-1094593468

.160 Tall and .125 Wide. At that width there's still some light on both sides of the front sight post in the sight picture which I like (front sight does not fill the entire width of the rear sight notch).

And I used the trusty Sharpie to black out the rear sight [smile]

EDIT: Oh, and as Dave (Lugnut) said... it's best if you can check out different combinations before purchasing.... so you're welcome to check my setup out anytime you'd like. I'm a member at MRA. My brother also runs the same setup but he uses a green FO tube.

Last edited:
I've actually carried my Colt 1911 limited edition two times. But only on special occassions when I am in a suit and I have a custom stitched holster that doesn't let anything rub on the finish or engraving.

Wow... I'd like to get my hands on a holster that does this... oh wait... it doesn't exist [smile]

Leather is porous... which means it holds dirt... which means it will inevitably scratch/rub your gun each and every time you holster and unholster it.

I don't see why people have an issue with carrying the 34.
It's pretty much the same size as a full size 1911 and people carry those.

The 34 needs a different height FO front sight.
I believe it's the taller one. (.300)

Last edited:
The 34 needs a different height FO front sight.
I believe it's the taller one. (.300)

If you're using a stock rear sight, you need a .160 height Dawson front sight. The taller front sights are used with taller aftermarket rear sights.

Yeah but what business of it is the FFLs what I am going to use the gun for?

Gee, if I was an FFL I wouldn't sell a gun to anyone who had no intention of ever firing it, because I think keeping working guns around and not shooting them ever is dumb...... Not. Even if I think it's dumb, part of business is giving the customer what they want. If the customer is happy and you're getting the money, then what difference does it make?

I suppose I could see the dealer's point if the buyer was a newb, but even then.... there's a difference between "You probably shouldn't buy this gun for that purpose" and "I'm not going to sell you that gun because what you want to do with it is absurd. " I suppose there's a line in the sand somewhere, obviously.... like if someone came looking to buy with stated nefarious intent, I don't think anyone would sell them a gun.

-Mike

My guess is that there was some emotional attachment to it. Either he did all the work himself or maybe someone close to him did it. Either way, he wanted it to go to someone that would appreciate the workmanship. The customer was a VERY GREEN newb (this was his first purchase) and he just liked the look of it.

Wow... I'd like to get my hands on a holster that does this... oh wait... it doesn't exist [smile]

Leather is porous... which means it holds dirt... which means it will inevitably scratch/rub your gun each and every time you holster and unholster it.

No problem with it yet. But you have to bear in mind both the gun and holster are stored away, kept clean, and hardly ever used. Yes, you are right, if this holster was used all the time a lot of grit would be stuck in the pores.

No problem with it yet. But you have to bear in mind both the gun and holster are stored away, kept clean, and hardly ever used. Yes, you are right, if this holster was used all the time a lot of grit would be stuck in the pores.

I hear ya. Who's the holster maker by the way? And can you "splain" what you mean when you say that the holster is stitched in a way to avoid any rubbing? I'm always interested in finding new holster designs that lessen the wear on the gun. Thanks in advance (and sorry for the thread drift to the OP).

I hear ya. Who's the holster maker by the way? And can you "splain" what you mean when you say that the holster is stitched in a way to avoid any rubbing? I'm always interested in finding new holster designs that lessen the wear on the gun. Thanks in advance (and sorry for the thread drift to the OP).

I'll have to go up and look at the brand later, but the stitching is perfectly fit for the 1911. So there was no "break-in" and almost no friction against the gun (just enough to keep it in). Also, it covers the entire gun, except the hammer and grip.

here you go
ghost_ultimate.jpg

Back to the sights, I run a red fiber optic with a blacked out rear. width size will come down to personal preference, I run a narrow .095 front sight, lots of light on either side.

Back
Top Bottom