• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

From the front page of Sundays Lowell Sun

http://www.lowellsun.com/news/ci_24494186/behind-snapshots-pins-and-medals-honor-earned

Sadly the number of WW2 vets that remain with us is quickly dwindling, and along with them their stories and people willing to listen. I am very fortunate to have heard many more of this gentleman's stories than this short article contains, many many many times since a young child. I was also fortunate enough to hand him a m1 carbine at his birthday last year, which was the 1st time he had held one since being on a tiny island in the pacific while patrolling the camps at nights. I am also very fortunate to have the Arisaka that he returned with, that I will guard and treasure until my kids can have it.

For Veterans Day I will choose to remember the sacrifice and the bravery of which I personally cannot imagine, and I promise to remember the history both past and present and to pass on the stories and the history I have been given

Daniel Barker

Back
Top Bottom