From silver to Black and Blue Colt .38 Super

Greg Derr

Gun Smith
Dealer
NES Member
This 1990 Colt Super 38 started out as a stainless gun. It had been lightly molested by a non believer. It was reborn with a bit of welding on the grip safe tangs and the frame rails. The only redeeming point was that it had been correctly Magna Ported. So my client liked that feature. Out with all the internals and replaced them with bar stock parts from E3. 25 lpi checkering front and rear with a Chen Max Bevel MSH. The sights are a Wilson U notch rear and a Novak "Mega Dot" in orange up front. The sights really stand out. Being stainless I chased the slide to frame fit for a day and just could not get it tight enough without galling. Calling Doug Jones from AccURail. The carbon rails solved any galling issues and allowed me to refit the barrel after welding.The bushing is an EGW which was flushed to the barrel, the barrel was recrowned on the lathe. For the hammer I went with a larger ringed Commander style. The thumb safety and STP are one offs. The grip safety is an EGW. For the finish Nick smoothed out all the rolls and polished the slide to a 600 grit. The frame is a fine glass bead. Two Tripp Cobra mags were fit and tuned. The whole project was then treated with IonBond including the AccURails. Most folks leave the rails silver which can be a sore spot when looking at the ass end. I cut them flush too. I really never had a semi auto with the Magna porting and found it to actually help with the hot super loads. Very fun to shoot. Crystal made the grips for me last year which are dyed burl of some sort. I like the blue. For the photo shoot I played off the "Black and Blue" idea and could not stop thinking about "Slap Shot" and Hanson Brothers a very cool movie.

Attachments

• Slapshot gd 050322-01T.jpg
    Slapshot gd 050322-01T.jpg
    494.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Slapshot gd 050322-02T.jpg
    Slapshot gd 050322-02T.jpg
    397.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Slapshot gd 050322-04T.jpg
    Slapshot gd 050322-04T.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 50
  • Slapshot gd 050322-05T.jpg
    Slapshot gd 050322-05T.jpg