• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

From Mass to Maine

So I'm going to visit a friend in Maine this weekend. If I read NH and Maine laws correctly my drive will go like this. Concealed carry in Mass, get to NH line and open carry loaded in truck, get to Maine and can then concealed carry loaded again. Am I missing anything?

So I'm going to visit a friend in Maine this weekend. If I read NH and Maine laws correctly my drive will go like this. Concealed carry in Mass, get to NH line and open carry loaded in truck, get to Maine and can then concealed carry loaded again. Am I missing anything?

If you don't have a NH P&R, the firearm must be unloaded when in a vehicle. If you stop somewhere, though, you can open carry in NH just fine, but carrying loaded in a vehcile requires permit.

You can't be "hot" in NH in a car without a carry permit. I personally would put the gun, unloaded, in a locked case until I got to Maine. I would not want to holster/unholster in a car and eject a live round in my car. I also wouldn't want to do all this at a gas station or a rest station.

Unloaded and separated in vehicle..got it. I'm glad I asked. Thanks everyone. I must have misinterpreted the law. Will be sending in paperwork to NH. May actually take it with me and stop along the way to drop it off.

In New Hampshire it does not have to be unloaded and separated, It just means it has to be unloaded. Nothing in the chamber or cylinder, as it may be, and for the pistol, If the Magazine is loaded it can not be in the pistol. But it can all be laying on the seat or on the floor or in a gym bag. It Ain't ****ing MasShiTchusetts.

yes. This.

From the New Hampshire State Police website:

https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/faq.html#A2

• I would like to bring my handgun into New Hampshire, yet I don’t have a license to carry concealed. How may I carry?
    • You may carry unloaded in your vehicle. Be sure that the ammunition is separate from the gun.
    • You may carry loaded on your person. The weapon needs to be fully exposed. For example, it may not be concealed by a shirt or a jacket, or located in a backpack.
    • You may carry unloaded and concealed on your person, so long as you do not possess any ammunition on your person.
    • Please refer t0 RSA 159 for additional information.

From the New Hampshire State Police website:

https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/faq.html#A2

• I would like to bring my handgun into New Hampshire, yet I don’t have a license to carry concealed. How may I carry?
    • You may carry unloaded in your vehicle. Be sure that the ammunition is separate from the gun.
    • You may carry loaded on your person. The weapon needs to be fully exposed. For example, it may not be concealed by a shirt or a jacket, or located in a backpack.
    • You may carry unloaded and concealed on your person, so long as you do not possess any ammunition on your person.
    • Please refer t0 RSA 159 for additional information.
I don't think that part in blue is accurate. It just has to be unloaded. From RSA 159:4:
No person shall carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle or concealed upon his person, except in his dwelling, house or place of business, without a valid license therefor as hereinafter provided. A loaded pistol or revolver shall include any pistol or revolver with a magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded cartridges.

I don't think that part in blue is accurate. It just has to be unloaded.
The part in blue from the NHSP website is incorrect, [thread=217916]there was a 2013 court decision that makes this clear[/thread], but the New Hampshire State Police have not updated their website in the two years since State of New Hampshire v. Oriol Dor.

Last edited:
Any idea how long it takes to come in? They cashed my check a couple of weeks ago..

My check cleared on April 4th and my NH Non-Res P/R License came today. I mailed my application on March 8th.

Just waiting for my Utah to come in and I'm sending in my Maine application.

Last edited:
My check cleared on April 4th and my NH Non-Res P/R License came today. I mailed my application on March 8th.

You can put in for Maine to your hearts content but at the moment it doesn't buy you anything I don't think.

Hold on. I need to be spoon fed these things because I have a very real aversion to jail.
As dumb as this sounds (and thank you Comm of Ma for polluting the way I look at gun laws) does Maine's constitutional carry law extend to all law abiding US residents or only residents of the State of Maine?
I'm heading up for a few days soon. Can I legally CC without any permit from Maine?
I have my Ma LTC.

You can put in for Maine to your hearts content but at the moment it doesn't buy you anything I don't think.

I don't want to hijack the thread. But the Maine Non-Res LTC buys you a few more freedoms that may or may not come in handy when I go up there. I know it's spelled out in a few other threads.

Hold on. I need to be spoon fed these things because I have a very real aversion to jail.
As dumb as this sounds (and thank you Comm of Ma for polluting the way I look at gun laws) does Maine's constitutional carry law extend to all law abiding US residents or only residents of the State of Maine?
I'm heading up for a few days soon. Can I legally CC without any permit from Maine?
I have my Ma LTC.

Yes

In today's mail!
I'm legal!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom