• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Frog Lube is Coconut Oil - You heard it here first

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you prefer a grease the Mobil 1 synthetic grease is very similar to Enos slide glide. Even the same pretty red color.

The key to selling a new gun lube is find something you can buy in bulk cheap, come up with some fancy packaging and make it look hi-tech (ArchOil's literature with the atom diagrams is a example), and sell it dollars per ounce rather than ounces per dollar.

Slide glide is still one of my favs for handguns.... I even have some in the trigger pack of my Tavor, made a huge difference

So, anyone that has some Frog Lube kicking around might want to try it out as salad dressing. Sounds delicious.

So, anyone that has some Frog Lube kicking around might want to try it out as salad dressing. Sounds delicious.
The problem is the unknown additives plus, coconut oil is high in saturated fats so your cardiologist might not recommend it.

Fox 5.3 pepper spray is vicious, however, the "UV dye added" concerns me enough that I don't spray it on popcorn to enhance the flavor.

My mother claims there isn't anything coconut oil can't do. I'm not shocked you can lube a gun with it. Just shocked I didn't hear it from her first on some list of the 100 things coconut oil does she keeps emailing me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew it was some sort of vegetable oil.

I don't care though...

Frog Lube smells great!!!

I will continue to buy this product.

If it was not for that darn mint I think that Frog Lube would make great massage oil.

The natives have been using Coconut oil for centuries!

Haters Gunna Hate!

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy some synthetic ATF and mix it 50-50 with some synthetic Mobil 1. For short money you will have enough lube for a couple years.

Or you can spend hundreds on the next HSLD Operator-approved secret squirrel gun lube that hits the market. Your choice.

Frog Lube gets gummy over time.

It caused me some issues a 2 of my guns.

I don't use it anymore.

I've been using the paste with no issues. I even decided to do a test with my M&P and stuck it in my freezer at 0*F for 2 hours. Ran perfectly fine immediately after taking it out.

Serious question. Oil is oil right? Its just a large chain of hydrocarbons. Does it mater if its synthetic or natural? Hell, you could probably use bacon grease to lube some parts...

what is the big deal here? they marketed it as 'green/environmentally friendly' lubrication.

Serious question. Oil is oil right? Its just a large chain of hydrocarbons. Does it mater if its synthetic or natural? Hell, you could probably use bacon grease to lube some parts...

what is the big deal here? they marketed it as 'green/environmentally friendly' lubrication.

The big deal is that it's a huge ripoff. A small tub of the "paste" is like 10 dollars. There's probably about 50 cents worth of stuff in there and that is being generous. I bet anything the container it comes in costs them proportionally more than the "lube" does.

It doesn't really matter if its synthetic or natural, but to say that there's no difference between types of oil is
silly. Yes, you could use bacon grease to lube a gun but you might not like the results under different conditions, the lifespan of the lube, etc.

-Mike

I've been using the paste with no issues. I even decided to do a test with my M&P and stuck it in my freezer at 0*F for 2 hours. Ran perfectly fine immediately after taking it out.

Yes, and if I took a clean, but almost bone dry glock or M&P it would probably work just fine, too, for awhile. A better test of a lube is something like an AR bolt carrier, where theres a lot of heat, gases, and bullshit going on... it doesn't really get any worse than that
environment.

-Mike

1) They simply repackaged roller coaster lube, at a very high markup.

2) Their PR crap entails their own creation story about how their ex-special forces guys helped create this new lube. Which isn't true, near as I can tell. It appears that the only thing they created was the packaging and marketing.

3) Their PR crap claimed that it soaks into the "pores" in the metal. Metal doesn't have "pores".

4) They created a number of sock-puppet accounts here on NES, claiming to be just Joe Blow gun owner, and posted accounts about how Frog Lube was awesome. They were called on it, and the moderators suggested that they buy a vendor account and promote their product fair-and-square -- they chose not to. And NES was not the only forum on which they created sock puppet accounts.

If you really think it is good lube (something that I disagree with, based on what I've read), then at the very least don't buy it from Frog Lube. Why reward their bad behavior? Instead, buy some Track Lube Plus instead, for less: http://www.tracklubeplus.com/purchase/

Last edited:
Yes, and if I took a clean, but almost bone dry glock or M&P it would probably work just fine, too, for awhile. A better test of a lube is something like an AR bolt carrier, where theres a lot of heat, gases, and bullshit going on... it doesn't really get any worse than that
environment.

-Mike

Well everything I've read says that froglube should gum up and cause parts to stick in cold temps. So I lathered on (way more than I would usually use) some FL onto the slide rails of my M&P and let it sit for 2 hours at 0*. That sounds like at the very least, the first round shouldn't have ejected properly. After the first 5 or so, I'm sure things were warmed up enough to not matter. Not saying my test was the end-all-be-all. Just a single data point. I'm sure the gun would have ran the same bone dry. But everything I've been told, says that Froglube should have prevented my gun from cycling at 0 degrees.

I'm certainly not a band-wagoner, I saw it on sale locally and decided to give it a try. I've been skeptical of it because of all the bad press I've read online, but after a few hundred rounds through all of my guns, I'm starting to actually trust it.

**Small disclaimer** My biggest reason for buying it - I have a 4 year old that likes to help me clean the guns. Her 2 year old brother is like the stomping grabby claw machine in the corner of the Arcade and loves to taste test things. A few times he's grabbed the AR brush and tried to brush his teeth with it. So If I can get stuff that won't kill my little taste tester, I'm all for it.

i think it's truly awesome that people in the academic world take interest in such things and are willing to carrying out detailed scientific experiments at no cost to the people that benefits from such information. it takes the argument out of the usual realm of social media bickering.

i assume that these studies impact the future of re-branding snake oil for a specific market: companies realize that they have a limited time before they are exposed. people are more cautious about trying out new magic lubes.

i could be wrong. i assume that the makers of froglube (or fireclean) did not imagine that one day, someone very knowledgeable and with access to expensive equipment would analyze their product and make the information public. maybe they did realize that they can't get away with packing/branding coconut/vegetable oil to the gun community for ever.

anyway, thanks for sharing OP.

maybe they did realize that they can't get away with packing/branding coconut/vegetable oil to the gun community for ever.

They effectively have gotten away with it. They are still in business.

anyway, thanks for sharing OP.

It's old news. With all respect to the OP, he didn't tell us anything we didn't already know.

From 2014, right here on NES: https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...43-Gun-lubes?p=4157640&viewfull=1#post4157640

From 2011 on m4carbine.net: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?93495-FrogLube-behind-the-scenes-at-a-glance

Normally I just use the first thing in the cabinet that says "oil". 5W30, 10W30, straight 30, Break-Free, natural, synthetic - I haven't noticed any difference. Same thing for sizing lube. Oil keeps the dies way cleaner than lanolin based lubes, easier to use, and I wet tumble all my brass after sizing anyways which gets rid of the oil. Lately I've been only using Fire Clean on my guns, since I got a small bottle in trade for a bunch of .38 LWC bullets that I have a metric shit-ton of and if it really makes guns easier to clean - especially the BCG in my .300BLK, and doesn't harm my guns or make them rust way more easily like Militec did, then it will be worthwhile to me. [So far it DOES seem to make them easier to clean, but I haven't been using it long enough to be sure]

You know what makes guns easier to clean? A ****ing cleaner. If your guns are that hard to clean then invest in an ultrasonic cleaner.

Oil and grease are used for different applications but they shouldn't make your gun "easier to clean" or they aren't doing a very good job of lubricating. There are very cheap, readily available supplies of each from other high temp, high friction uses. Like auto & roller coasters. If you really must buy "gun lube", Enos has great grease and Slick 2000 has one of the best oils. Me, I like my Mobile 1 synthetic: I guarantee there isn't a gun manufacturer with the R&D budget Mobile has.

You know what makes guns easier to clean? A ****ing cleaner. If your guns are that hard to clean then invest in an ultrasonic cleaner.

Oil and grease are used for different applications but they shouldn't make your gun "easier to clean" or they aren't doing a very good job of lubricating. There are very cheap, readily available supplies of each from other high temp, high friction uses. Like auto & roller coasters. If you really must buy "gun lube", Enos has great grease and Slick 2000 has one of the best oils. Me, I like my Mobile 1 synthetic: I guarantee there isn't a gun manufacturer with the R&D budget Mobile has.

Basically this.

Although I do keep a can of RemOil spray oil in my bag for when I am running hard and suppressed, so I can just blast the ejection port quick between strings.

I was curious to try the claims of 'wiping clean' without solvents and brushes and effort that could be spent elsewhere. If it pans out - cool, guns are easier to clean. If it doesn't - back to the whatever oil I grab for lube and Break-Free or brake cleaner and a brush, with nothing lost and curiosity fulfilled. So far, it seems noticeably easier, but I haven't exactly shot the piss out of them, so I'm not convinced yet. As far as it's lubricating properties - I'm pretty sure guns can't tell the difference between store brand 10W-30 and magical unicorn jizz supermegaawesome gun lube. The only thing I've found that truly and duly sucks is Militec - damned near zero rust protection.

Only thing I use and have used for 17 years is CLP BreakFree. I bought frog piss and never used it, but did Karma it off.
I've used Frog Lube for 4 years. Does what I want it to do and I've had no issues. If I'm looking for oil I use Marvel Mystery Oil. The Marvel I use comes from a can I took from my fathers workshop after he died. He was a machinist and the can was old in 1960 so I assume that he bought it (or took it home from work) when he bought his house in 1949. Must do the job pretty well since the can is at least 65 years old and I cant see any rust on it.

Ive used both with no issue.

Some member of ARFcom tested 40 different lubes and cleaners, the end result was frog lube coming in 2nd or 3rd overall, i think it was wd-40 special that came in first. im sure some of u have seen it. Frog lube did exceptional in the rust prevention and friction test.

I'm sorry but im drinking the Froglube Koolaid by the gallon..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom