• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Friends wife inherited some cool firearms

After pulling on this and pulling on that, I figured out their function after about 5 minutes, which im pretty proud I didn't have to use youtube. Same with the pen gun, took a few minutes to understand loading/ folding but once I saw it, I understood it.
We don't care whether or not you used YoutUbe.
What we want to know is, how many ND's?
[rofl]

Exactly.

Good Info.
" When deployed into a state that would allow it to be fired, it has the basic shape of a pistol. A grip, trigger and barrel. Other pen guns that stayed in the straight form factor for firing are NFA items "

That is not a NFA pen gun. It has a hinge in the middle and folds to have a barrel and a grip section .The trigger folds down. Fore seasons sold them back in the day. But under Ma law it could be considered a disguised firearm.

Those liberator's are so freaking cool. I'd LOVE to add one to my collection.

Back in the early 1970's, I would run across about one a month at the local stores. 35$ is what they were bringing and I never bought a piece of crap like that when full military Colt 1911's and A1's were bringing 75$ - 100$ for a pristine one. Remingtons were cheap at 40-50$. My the time does fly.

I was curious to see if there were versions of the pen gun being sold (if they are more common or are extremely rare), and if there are modern replicas of the liberator pistols (as one of the OP's posted pics looked like a "modern" liberator replica).

So this is posted simply as for FYI and For = Informational Purposes:
Found on GB = 1 pen gun (non-NFA version) , and there are functioning modern-made Liberator Replica Pistols:

Braverman Stinger Pen Gun .22LR Non-NFA rare
This Braverman Stinger .22lr pen gun was very limited production in the late 90s and early 2000s. The ATF approved these to transfer on a standard 4473 like any other pistol, rather than as a AOW NFA item due to a unique folding design. More about these can be found in a "Forgotten Weapons" video on YouTube.
1608208691696.png 1608209080826.png

FP-45 Liberator Suppressor Threaded Barrel Firing Replica Vintage Ordnance
... firing reproduction threaded barrel FP-45 Liberator pistols. The barrel is 4.75" long and threaded for .528x 28 for a .45 ACP suppressor Otherwise this pistol is standard in every way as described on www.VintageOrdnance.com.
1608208742000.png

Attachments

• 1608209480258.png
    1608209480258.png
    302.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Nice Liberators. I balked on a $800 decent-condition one on GB about a decade ago. I flinched. It was gone. Dumb dumb dumb. I love WWII stuff.

That is not a NFA pen gun. It has a hinge in the middle and folds to have a barrel and a grip section .The trigger folds down. Fore seasons sold them back in the day. But under Ma law it could be considered a disguised firearm.
I purchased a .25 cal. pen gun from a mfr in NH many years ago. It had to come to me on a Form 3. Maybe because it was registered by the maker as a pen gun. Be careful. Jack.

Good Info.
" When deployed into a state that would allow it to be fired, it has the basic shape of a pistol. A grip, trigger and barrel. Other pen guns that stayed in the straight form factor for firing are NFA items "

I have one of these (it will wicked twist to the left when you fire it). Someplace I have a printed out info packet on it. If you're interested and I remember when it next turns up I'm happy to scan it for you. Background, I think measurements, etc. A gunsmith acquaintance was working up a reproduction but he passed away before finishing :(

That's interesting about the Liberator. As I understand it, that was the intent: drop a crate of them in the middle of nowhere and make it simple enough that untrained Filipino resistance fighters could examine it for a few minutes and then go shoot some Japanese occupiers.

And, wear out / break quickly, so that they could not be used when the Americans arrived! Also, they came with a cartoon-sheet instruction manual.

No. They don't function until they're "shaped" like a pistol. Legal as a nun in church
Correct. Similar complications with those wallet guns and wallet-shaped concealment sleeves for pocket guns. Can get very complicated with some designs. But if it has to look like a duck before it can quack, it's not a disguised duck subject to NFA.

I have one of these (it will wicked twist to the left when you fire it). Someplace I have a printed out info packet on it. If you're interested and I remember when it next turns up I'm happy to scan it for you. Background, I think measurements, etc. A gunsmith acquaintance was working up a reproduction but he passed away before finishing :(
Ill def take you up on that offer if you ever come across them. Thanks.

So from an untrained eye, one was at least a replica. Just going off of the pristine condition of the thing. I did a quick google search to see how to spot a replica and didn't really come up with much

I love the history of the FP-45 and have done a bit of research and own one. The easiest way to tell the difference between the replica and original is look down the barrel. Replica has rifling and the original is smooth bore. On the underside of the barrel the replica markings, original sans any text.

The original plan for the weapons was from March 1942 from the Psyops (Psychological Operations) group suggesting dropping these into Poland "The FP-45 Liberator Pistol 1942 - 1945 by R. W. Kock"

Nick....great story to share. Thanks

Last edited:
Wasn't the sole purpose of the Liberator to provide an effective and inexpensive way for allies to 'easily' obtain very high quality weapons?

Wasn't the sole purpose of the Liberator to provide an effective and inexpensive way for allies to 'easily' obtain very high quality weapons?

Somewhat, they were thought of for use by the 'resistance' in 1942. It was smooth bore and designed for up close and personal use.

I saw one in a kit that was for the French and recovered in a museum. Amazing. Few words.

The FP-45 Liberator is a pistol manufactured by the United States military during World War II for use by resistance forces in occupied territories. The Liberator was never issued to American or other Allied troops, and there are few documented instances of the weapon being used for its intended purpose; though the intended recipients, irregulars and resistance fighters, rarely kept detailed records due to the inherent risks if the records were captured by the enemy.

General Dwight D. Eisenhower's staff never saw the practicality in mass dropping the Liberator over occupied Europe, and authorized distribution of fewer than 25,000 of the half million FP-45 pistols shipped to Great Britain for the French resistance. Generals Joseph Stilwell and Douglas MacArthur were similarly unenthusiastic about the other half of the pistols scheduled for shipment to the Pacific. The Army then turned 450,000 Liberators over to the Office of Strategic Services (OSS), which preferred to supply Resistance fighters in both theatres with more effective weapons whenever possible.

French use of the FP-45 remains undocumented, however a first hand account of an assassination with an FP-45 exists from German military policeman Niklaus Lange. He claimed that there were thousands in circulation in occupied France.[7] The OSS did distribute a few to Greek resistance forces in 1944. Most of the pistols shipped to Britain were undistributed, and later dumped at sea or melted for scrap metal.

Another view: FP-45 Liberator | Gun Wiki | Fandom

Last edited:
The Army then turned 450,000 Liberators over to the Office of Strategic Services (OSS), which preferred to supply Resistance fighters in both theatres with more effective weapons whenever possible.

This. I always got the idea that the Liberator was someone's bright idea that the military never really asked for.

The world was awash with weapons at that point. If Ike called Washington and demanded 12,000 "real" pistols instead of these, he'd have gotten them. I've always doubted the US generals really wanted to get any guns into the hands of the Resistance. The US Army has always been squeamish about dealing with local insurgent groups; it's why they had to set up the Green Berets later, over significant institutional resistance.

The Brits were a lot better at that kind of thing during WWII. When they had a similar idea about arming the locals, they just sent out STEN parts kits and the Resistance made up the guns in bike shops.

Pretty quick turnaround on the ATF side to get their stamps squared away.
Now time for a range day.
View attachment 502907
That's awesome. The Thompson is exactly like the one my Dad was issued as a Marine helicopter pilot in Vietnam, if it were full auto. Like most pilots he didn't play fast & loose with the law, but he always regretted not grabbing that Thompson to bring back somehow. :D

Back
Top Bottom