• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Friends wife inherited some cool firearms

I figured I'd bump this thread instead of starting a new one. About two weeks ago, my buddy had a bad fire in his home. Everyone in his family got out alive, they lost a cat and some small furry friends (sugargliders). They lost 4 vehicles in it, and pretty much all of the contents of the house were either burned or are so far gone by soot and water damage that they are not salvageable. They have had so much to deal with these last few weeks, their firearms were not really top of their list.

I spoke to him earlier this week and convinced him to get the safes emptied and get some oil on the firearms. Monday his wife cracked the safe and came outside and said the soot had gotten inside. Luckily her assessment was exaggerated.

We went in this morning assuming the firearms would be covered in the thick black soot that covers everything in their house. I am glad to report that they were not. The smoke/soot did make its way inside, but seems to have settled low and never filled up. The smoke must be attracted to fabric first, as the firearms are not black, but all of the slings leave a black residue on your hands.

I'm glad to say that the safes proved their worth and protected the contents. A quick wash and everything will be as good as new. These are your average $800 safe that you get at tractor supply. The safes were in the basement and about 30 feet from actual flames. I don't know how they would have faired if they were surrounded by flames.

I think we can all agree, a house and furniture can be replaced. But some of these firearms cannot. Haha
20211009_093144.jpg 20211009_100728.jpg 20211009_093137.jpg

....condolences on the pets and belongings but you just posted all your dudes stuff...unless you asked him, not cool...hope you asked him... :confused:

Was that an electronic or mechanical lock that survived the heat?

Did the safe have an expanding door seal that is supposed to react to heat and, if so, did it do its thing?

....condolences on the pets and belongings but you just posted all your dudes stuff...unless you asked him, not cool...hope you asked him... :confused:

JFC
there’s no identifying information, serial #’s, etc. they’re photos of firearms. So what. And if he didn’t post pics forum members would whine ”this thread is worthless without pics”.

Was that an electronic or mechanical lock that survived the heat?

Did the safe have an expanding door seal that is supposed to react to heat and, if so, did it do its thing?
Electronic only. No mechanical lock (which I don't like).
To be honest I wasn't aware that safes had expanding door seal. I'll have to look next time I'm there.

Good Info.
" When deployed into a state that would allow it to be fired, it has the basic shape of a pistol. A grip, trigger and barrel. Other pen guns that stayed in the straight form factor for firing are NFA items "

I thought that because it can only be fired when id handgun form it was not NFA/AOW. I've seen a couple on the Rick Island Auctions and they are listed as Handguns or even C&R but not NFA
You are correct @42!
I quoted myself from later in the thread where it was correctly identified as non NFA because of the reasons listed.

So from an untrained eye, one was at least a replica. Just going off of the pristine condition of the thing. I did a quick google search to see how to spot a replica and didn't really come up with much, but again, I didn't really look too hard. But both of the boxes that they came in were identical to each other, same as the accessories in the box. So that tells me: a) both are replicas b) both are original and he happens to have the best condition original one that I can find pictures of (not likely) c) he purchased a spare replica box and accessory kit for his original, which i did find for sale in my quick search.
Looks about $1000 separates a replica from an original.
More than $1K.

Thanks for sharing your vintage gun "rescue". So glad to see a collection passed to true enthusists for passion and not flip profit ! I was born in the wrong decade, jeez I wish I was born in the era where it was so much easier to generate a vintage militeria collection..

JFC
there’s no identifying information, serial #’s, etc. they’re photos of firearms. So what. And if he didn’t post pics forum members would whine ”this thread is worthless without pics”.

Ya, JFC, whatevas...

I personally wouldn't do it...no one needs to know what I own, how many I own, etc.

You say no identifying info etc...I beg to differ...I'm certain with a bit of Google foo I or anyone in 15 minutes could find out who the OP is, who his friend is, fire two weeks ago, where each of them live, etc.

Put the dots together and there are a fair amount of firearms within reach...

Christ, I just Googled OP and first return got his age, address, phone, and the fact that he's on at least one other gun forum...

OP seems fine with it, I'm over it...I still wouldn't do it.

I just wouldn't do it and I don't think it's cool...personal opinion.

To each his own and your entitled to your $0.02 as well.

Ya, JFC, whatevas...

I personally wouldn't do it...no one needs to know what I own, how many I own, etc.

You say no identifying info etc...I beg to differ...I'm certain with a bit of Google foo I or anyone in 15 minutes could find out who the OP is, who his friend is, fire two weeks ago, where each of them live, etc.

Put the dots together and there are a fair amount of firearms within reach...

Christ, I just Googled OP and first return got his age, address, phone, and the fact that he's on at least one other gun forum...

OP seems fine with it, I'm over it...I still wouldn't do it.

I just wouldn't do it and I don't think it's cool...personal opinion.

To each his own and your entitled to your $0.02 as well.
Yeah, I get it and am not offended. But nothing is private really.
The counter to your opinion would be how lame a firearm forum would be if we all just made generic posts like "I shot a cool gun today, don't want to give out too much info incase the man or criminals are watching".
"I went to the range today. Didn't shoot. Didn't even bring any firearms. I didn't want to let anyone know what I had incase someone was there and could have followed me home. I also park my vehicles 2 streets over, I don't want anyone driving by to see them and assume someone with money lives where I live......."

My pen gun uses .25 ACP. You unscrew the little barrel, put the round in it and screw it back into the tubular receiver. To fire it, you grasp a knurled knob which is at the end of a spring loaded bolt, pull it back and let it go to slam fire the round. I fired it once. Anyway, It's registered with NFA branch on a Form 3. Jack.
Just be sure to pick the korect pen out of the distributor cap
when you do the bills.
710x528_2159527_1803092_1459327466_1_0.jpg

My .25ACP pen gun was made by Stan's Gunsmithing in Maine or NH many years ago. Probably one of a short run. To load it you unscrew the little barrel from the little tubular receiver, put a round in it and screw it back on. To fire it (best to have a volunteer do it), you grasp and pull back a knurled knob which is at the end of a spring loaded bolt and let it go to slam fire the round. Then you pick it up off the ground, put it in the safe and give away the other 49 rounds of .25. Anyway, it's registered on a Form 3 with NFA branch. Jack.

Back
Top Bottom