• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Friends wife inherited some cool firearms

Just a fun little story to share with a few pics:
My friends father in law passed a way a few weeks ago. My friends wife flew out to her father's home in AZ to take care of things at her fathers home. Seems like her father had an awesome collection of firearms and military related items.
They found around 250 firearms in the house, including 3 full autos with appropriate stamps. He had good friends that had their FFL that came in and assisted with anything the family wanted to sell.
So my buddies wife and her siblings chose some firearms that they wanted and took them home. Last night, my buddy wanted to show me the new firearms they had and wanted to know what they were because she kind of just grabbed what looked cool to her. Haha.
There were a few M1 Garands, M1 carbine, 2 Colt 1911s, some 357 SW revolvers, a Derringer pen gun, and two Liberators. I loved every second drooling over some of these firearms and shaking them whats what on them.
The father in law seemed like a kind of guy I would have liked. I guess the amount of ammo taken out of the house filled a suburban and made it squat to the ground.
20201215_163216.jpg 20201215_163430.jpg 20201215_164929.jpg

Those liberator's are so freaking cool. I'd LOVE to add one to my collection.
To be honest, I had never seen one until yesterday. I had to do some googling to find out what they were. They had thought they were single shot pistols that had already been used lol. After pulling on this and pulling on that, I figured out their function after about 5 minutes, which im pretty proud I didn't have to use youtube. Same with the pen gun, took a few minutes to understand loading/ folding but once I saw it, I understood it.

To be honest, I had never seen one until yesterday. I had to do some googling to find out what they were. They had thought they were single shot pistols that had already been used lol. After pulling on this and pulling on that, I figured out their function after about 5 minutes, which im pretty proud I didn't have to use youtube. Same with the pen gun, took a few minutes to understand loading/ folding but once I saw it, I understood it.

That's interesting about the Liberator. As I understand it, that was the intent: drop a crate of them in the middle of nowhere and make it simple enough that untrained Filipino resistance fighters could examine it for a few minutes and then go shoot some Japanese occupiers.

That's interesting about the Liberator. As I understand it, that was the intent: drop a crate of them in the middle of nowhere and make it simple enough that untrained Filipino resistance fighters could examine it for a few minutes and then go shoot some Japanese occupiers.
On the next Liberators sales ad: SO EASY, EVEN NICKLEDUC CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO USE IT!

It was a gun to get a better a gun from someone else!

GM made 1 million of these. The idea was that they could drop them throughout Europe and arm the populace to wreak havoc against Nazi's. Never quite worked out that way though.

I wouldn't fire these too often. Only built to withstand 50 rounds or less. Made as cheap as possible. Barrel isn't even rifled!

The question is whether these are real or replicas.

It was a gun to get a better a gun from someone else!

GM made 1 million of these. The idea was that they could drop them throughout Europe and arm the populace to wreak havoc against Nazi's. Never quite worked out that way though.

I wouldn't fire these too often. Only built to withstand 50 rounds or less. Made as cheap as possible. Barrel isn't even rifled!

The bottom one looks more like the forgotten weapons piece. Pot metal. And not smooth at all.

So from an untrained eye, one was at least a replica. Just going off of the pristine condition of the thing. I did a quick google search to see how to spot a replica and didn't really come up with much, but again, I didn't really look too hard. But both of the boxes that they came in were identical to each other, same as the accessories in the box. So that tells me: a) both are replicas b) both are original and he happens to have the best condition original one that I can find pictures of (not likely) c) he purchased a spare replica box and accessory kit for his original, which i did find for sale in my quick search.
Looks about $1000 separates a replica from an original.

So from an untrained eye, one was at least a replica. Just going off of the pristine condition of the thing. I did a quick google search to see how to spot a replica and didn't really come up with much, but again, I didn't really look too hard. But both of the boxes that they came in were identical to each other, same as the accessories in the box. So that tells me: a) both are replicas b) both are original and he happens to have the best condition original one that I can find pictures of (not likely) c) he purchased a spare replica box and accessory kit for his original, which i did find for sale in my quick search.
Looks about $1000 separates a replica from an original.
What does a replica go for?

Yeah, I had checked completed item on GB. That auction has been relisted a bunch of times with no bids. One sold with bidders for like 1300 a little while ago.

I saw an article about these years ago, back when they first started making the good replicas, and I think I recall that originals were around 2k at that time. They're undeniably cheaper now.

My condolences to her and her family. Where's the ammo now? I hope at your house. And the mg's as well.

Back
Top Bottom