• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Friends in High Places

One of the three suspects in an alleged attack on a Dorchester man beaten at gunpoint by armed security guards will be allowed to keep his gun despite the charges, the chief of police that issued his firearm license said recently.

And this is what he says about the above...

"Why would I pull it? I'm not concerned," Perritano said. "I don't see where it's a violent crime anyway."

Yes, Innocent until proveng guilty, but this just reinforces the 'Us' vs 'Them' that permeates the Police Departments.

"That infuriated Boston Police Patrolmen's Association President Tom Nee, who pointed out that when Boston officers are charged with a crime, they relinquish their service revolvers immediately."

I guess that means they get to keep their Glocks then.

Well until all the facts are in, it is hard to say what is going on here, except the usual nepotism that one finds in law enforcement here in Massachusetts.

My best guess, is if you or I (assuming that you don't have any relatives on the Job) were an armed security guard and we got arrested, we would lose our LTC and probably our firearm and it would be a crap-shoot if we got either back if we were acquitted.

Ladies and gentlemen, once again, I know I sound like a broken record, :? but unless you are sworn and carry a badge, the police are not your friends. It doesn't matter how much money you give to FOP charity drive every year, or whether you play golf with the local chief, or your sister married a patrol officer in Gardner or wherever, they are not like us civiilians. I say this from the perspective of working with the police everyday. I get along well with them in my job, and some of them are some of the best people I have ever met, but I still have to know my place, because, afterall I'm a Foxtrot Charlie.

Now I know that we have some LEOs who subscribe or even serve as moderators on this forum, and no personal offense is meant, but I will stand by my generalization.

Regards,

Mark

Quote:

"Why would I pull it? I'm not concerned," Perritano said. "I don't see where it's a violent crime anyway."

The utterings of a certain fool and possible liar.

ADW is ABSOLUTELY a "violent crime;" mere A&B qualifies.

What a crock.

Mark is "spot on"!

And there are different "strata" of LE in MA, with most types hating every other type of LE. [For those of us >40, remember the annual MDC vs. MSP ball games for charity? They invariably ended in brawls between the MSP and MDC and at least one year they cancelled it due ot fear of violence between the two PDs! [roll] ]

mark056 said:
Well until all the facts are in, it is hard to say what is going on here, except the usual nepotism that one finds in law enforcement here in Massachusetts.

My best guess, is if you or I (assuming that you don't have any relatives on the Job) were an armed security guard and we got arrested, we would lose our LTC and probably our firearm and it would be a crap-shoot if we got either back if we were acquitted.

Ladies and gentlemen, once again, I know I sound like a broken record, :? but unless you are sworn and carry a badge, the police are not your friends. It doesn't matter how much money you give to FOP charity drive every year, or whether you play golf with the local chief, or your sister married a patrol officer in Gardner or wherever, they are not like us civiilians. I say this from the perspective of working with the police everyday. I get along well with them in my job, and some of them are some of the best people I have ever met, but I still have to know my place, because, afterall I'm a Foxtrot Charlie.

Now I know that we have some LEOs who subscribe or even serve as moderators on this forum, and no personal offense is meant, but I will stand by my generalization.

Regards,

Mark
No offense taken, Mark.
Do your friends who are minorities know that you're so prejudice?

"Do your friends who are minorities know that you're so prejudice? [sic]"

I see absolutely no reference to race, gender, national orgin or creed in his remarks. In what way, shape, manner or form did Mark's comment indicate antipathy towards ANY minority protected by the 14th Amendment (or any other, for that matter)?

One generally has to listen to Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson to hear that sort of knee-jerk "prejudice" card being played.

Scrivener said:
"Do your friends who are minorities know that you're so prejudice? [sic]"

I see absolutely no reference to race, gender, national orgin or creed in his remarks. In what way, shape, manner or form did Mark's comment indicate antipathy towards ANY minority protected by the 14th Amendment (or any other, for that matter)?

One generally has to listen to Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson to hear that sort of knee-jerk "prejudice" card being played.
Since when is prejudice confined only to the examples above?
Wide sweeping generalizations do no one any good. I stand by what I stated.
By your definition the following statement is not prejudice in nature: All gun owners are dangerous.

"Wide sweeping generalizations do no one any good. I stand by what I stated. " JonJ 12/16/05

"However the idiots who create laws in MA (and the MA Chiefs Assn who "advises" them) are totally clueless...." JonJ 12/15/05

All police chiefs in Mass are idiots or merely clueless?

"Congrats! And a good sign that they included the coupon. By passing that on, it implies that they approve of your right to carry. So rare these days."
JonJ 12/15/05 referring to the Leominster,MA Police Dept

Are we to infer that in general, most police departments in Massachusetts
don't approve of the right to carry by civilians, isn't that a generalization ?

"The SFPD brass and city officials who commented are a bunch of stuck up asswipes." JonJ 12/8/05 in reference to the police and civilian leadership of San Francisco....

All the senior leadership of the SFPD is a bunch of asswipes ? Seems to me like a generalization.

Jon, please help me out here, I am trying to understand.

Respectfully and with all best wishes,

Mark

Indeed, all those examples cited above are general accusations, while the criticized statement, based upon first-hand experience with police, seems a very rational conclusion formed upon first-hand experience.

So, whose assertions are the most "prejudice" [sic]? [roll]

Ok Mark point taken. I'm just sorry that you feel that way about police officers. I take it that I could never be a friend of yours and be on the level. That's really too bad. You don't know me.
I'll be sure never to attend anything that the board may sponsor that you may be at. I wouldn't want you to feel intimidated in my presence. If anyone else feels the same way, please let me know.

JonJ said:
"Congrats! And a good sign that they included the coupon. By passing that on, it implies that they approve of your right to carry. So rare these days."
JonJ 12/15/05 referring to the Leominster,MA Police Dept

mark056 said:
Are we to infer that in general, most police departments in Massachusetts
don't approve of the right to carry by civilians, isn't that a generalization ?

Mark

You're kidding, right? First, he was talking about that one approving officer giving him a coupon. And I would say that it's rare as I've never heard anyone on this board say that they've gotten a coupon from thier approving officer. If they have, or of you got one, then please let me know. I know that I didn't.

And yes, most police departments don't approve of the right to carry by civilians. Why do you think that there are so many gun owners that are upset that they have restrictions on there LTC.

These restrictions are so people can't carry.

I understand that you're just trying to make points, but this dog won't hunt. And I know that you know that getting an ALP in most Eastern MA towns is not an easy task.

Jon,

I never said that you intimidated me or that the police intimidate me.
Whether you like it or not, on the level and by the square I am your brother.

BTW as I write this my wife is getting ready to go to a Christmas party that we are both attending, believe it or not, some friends will be there and they wear badges.

Fraternally yours and with all best wishes,

Mark

"And yes, most police departments don't approve of the right to carry by civilians. " C

So that goes back to my basic premise then, that the police aren't our friends ?...right ?

BTW the lady in Leominster that hands out the cupons is a civilian clerk, whether that means anything or not.

With all best wishes,

Mark

Have a good time tonight Mark but these are your words not mine:
I get along well with them in my job, and some of them are some of the best people I have ever met, but I still have to know my place, because, afterall I'm a Foxtrot Charlie. Mark056
To me, that is not on the level.

mark056 said:
Well it's the truth as I perceive it...what could be more on the level than that ?

Fraternally yours,

Mark
Because if you were my friend, you wouldn't have to know your place! Know your place?
The generalization you made makes me something different than you.
What am I missing?

JonJ said:
If anyone else feels the same way, please let me know.

Absolutely NOT!!!!!

You bloody well better be at the next get together we have, and if anyone is uncomfortable in your presence, then ( Mother Mod or not ) - tough shit.

mark056 said:
"And yes, most police departments don't approve of the right to carry by civilians. " C

So that goes back to my basic premise then, that the police aren't our friends ?...right ?

BTW the lady in Leominster that hands out the cupons is a civilian clerk, whether that means anything or not.

With all best wishes,

Mark

The majority of the people in this world aren't my friends.

But I have some friends that are cops, and I'm not treated any differently than anyone else he knows. At least that I know. And I know that there have been times that he could have made my life hell if he so choosed.

But I will say that there are police that give more to their own than they do the general public, and they call it professional courtesy. But that's their right. And in all fairness, why should they treat us the same? If they pull me over for speeding, or runing a red light, then why shouldn't I get a ticket? But I can tell you that I've been pulled over and let go just because I was not an ass.

You see the same between Doctors, Lawyers, IT guys, it's like that in every business.

And as for how I feel, Jon? I'm have the same answer as Lynne.

I guess the point that I was trying to make is, I wouldn't want anyone to feel that they "know their place" when they're around me because I happen to be a cop. It's an uncomfortable situation for all parties involved. I'm not playing that game.
I'm sure Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would shudder at the thought of anyone having to "know their place" when in mixed company.
As far as I'm concerned, this is now a dead issue but if anyone wants to comment, PM me.
I now return this thread to it's regularly scheduled programing....

C-pher said:
You see the same between Doctors, Lawyers, IT guys, it's like that in every business.

And as for how I feel, Jon? I'm have the same answer as Lynne.

I agree that its in every business. But not every business has a profound affect on our lives to the point of being able to get and LTC or not get an LTC. Police Officers and judges get to much of the 'professional' courtesy.

I'm not against Cops letting cops/judges slide with minor things like a speeding ticket. I do have a serious problem when things like:

When I lived in Soo, MI the local judge in the city was stopped for DUI over well over 5 times while I lived there, and friends say he gets pulled over by the cops frequently. They just drive him home and let him pick up his car when he is sober.

The 'professional courtesy' in this case is not that. Its nepotism or worse.

I agree, but to say that all cops are like that isn't fair. And I'm not a cop.

You do hear stories about cops that are threatened to lose thier jobs for not letting people go when things like that happen.

I just don't think that it's fair to say that all cops are out to get us. Is there a bias? I think that there is. But it's not a fair generalization.

That's all I was getting at. And even when I go into the police station to pick get a FA-10, or to drop off something that I found and returning.

I will end up shooting the shit with one of them for some time. I'm just saying that I never feel like I know my place. Then I'm pretty comfortable talking to just about anyone. Ask my wife...when I start talking it's a pain for her to get me away from the person I'm talking too.

I don't have any scientific studies or other hard evidence to support this -- only 35-40 years of experience -- so it probably isn't worth much, but:

My observation is that police officers span the spectrum bounded on one side by bunker mentality a**h*** and on the other side by reasonable ordinary folk pretty much in the same proportions as "civilians."

Of course, my observation has been the same for lawyers, so I 'spose that really condemns its reliability.

I agree they run the specturm. But in this state you very much see more of the 'us' vs 'them' mindset in police officers. I am not saying all of them do it, but its more along the lines of a general rule and will have the exceptions to said rule.

Skald said:
I agree they run the specturm. But in this state you very much see more of the 'us' vs 'them' mindset in police officers. I am not saying all of them do it, but its more along the lines of a general rule and will have the exceptions to said rule.

I think that you see that more in Police Administration than you do in "street officers". Once they get to the high ranking jobs, it's all politics and they lose any sense of reality! [Sorry, it's a generalization and "one size doesn't fit all", I know but it fits much too many.]

Back
Top Bottom