Friends and family on SSRI's.

Sounds like he has a case of the half introvert.

BTDT, got the t shirt. If he's not willing to kill it with fire on his own it's difficult. You can't make someone swim who doesn't want to, they have to have their own drive. If he's alreafy thinking about pills he's probably not in that frame of mind. Even on my worst days I would never have even fathomed that stuff.

-Mike

I haven't read the whole thread only the OP.

That being said some people need them badly.. Its the definition of a night and day behavior change. My dealings with it in family has been on the anxiety end. They were literally petrified to leave the house or get out of bed etc etc. They are on Zoloft and while it works GREAT to solve those problems do not think for a second it wont come without side effects. Unfortunately one of the big one they suffer from is getting extremely irritable and the anger that comes from that. Previously were on Paxil (Paroxetene?) and that irritability was even worse.. just scary bad.

They work wonders but don't think for a second they aren't doing SOMETHING negative somewhere in the background or subconscious because they are.

Haven't read all the responses. It sounds like he has given this careful consideration and that he is an adult. Let him know you support the decision he has come to as it is HIS decision and ask him if there is anything you can do. Let him know that if it doesn't work or works for a while and then stops working that you will be willing to be there in whatever way he needs to change that decision IF he ever needs to.

Don't let him think you find him weak or less of a man because he is making a decision you may not personally agree with. It is HIS decision. And as a parent, IMHO, my job has been to try to help my son build the tools he needs to make HIS decisions about HIS life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First, I'll state that I'm generally against what modern medicine has to offer in order to "make your life better".

What % of the day does your kid spend on: PC time, Movies, TV shows, book reading and what's the % with physical activity ?

I have a very close friend overseas, he's always down and drinks, will not touch pills. Can't blame him. I always tell him "you are down because you want to be down, come pay me a visit, after 2 weeks of preparing firewood for the winter with me, outside, I'll cure all your sorrows". It may be a joke, but, there is something to it, working outside, with company, in nature, lifts the spirit much more than a pill would, remember that.

The kid needs physical activity. I'm outraged to hear that Prozac is just the easy way out, but, not surprised. Nature and his own body have enough ways to improve his health, and they do not require prescription, get him into any kind of sports, with the best being outdoors types (and I don't mean basketball on an outside court).

Although you'll hear many stories about "oh, that person took that pill and became such a success", try and find a story about someone who took those drugs for 30 years. They are not easy to come by. Your kid basically wants to volunteer and be a lab rat, while actually paying for it. SSRi's are known to hurt sexual life, meaning, no erection, BTW. I'm sure a young kid would like that. They are also a huge NO with regards to mixing them with alcohol. Young kids who drink and are on SSRi's are on a short path to trouble.

IMO, taking a healthy young man and turning him into a drug user is not a smart move, studying and being an A student won't make him a happy person. Working with his body and doing what his ancestresses did 1000's of years before there were SSRi's, might just be his cure, if he is even sick , to begin with.

Side Effects
The following side effects are associated with Prozac:
Common side effects of Prozac:

Anxious
Chronic Trouble Sleeping
Diarrhea
Dizzy
Drowsiness
Dry Mouth
Excessive Sweating
Feel Like Throwing Up
Feeling Weak
Head Pain
Indigestion
Involuntary Quivering
Loss of Appetite
Nervous
Rash
Sinus Irritation and Congestion
Throat Irritation
Yawning

Infrequent side effects of Prozac:

Chills
Hives
Trouble Breathing
Abnormal Dreams
Abnormal Heart Rhythm
Altered Interest in Having Sexual Intercourse
Chest Pain
Confused
Cough
Excessive Thirst
Fast Heartbeat
Feeling Restless
Fever
Flu-Like Symptoms
Frequent Urination
Gas
Hair Loss
Heart Throbbing or Pounding
Hyperactive Behavior
Inability to have an Erection
Incomplete or Infrequent Bowel Movements
Itching
Joint Pain
Problem with Ejaculation
Problems with Eyesight
Ringing in the Ears
Sexual Problems
Stomach Cramps
Taste Problems
Weight Loss
Widening of Blood Vessels

Rare side effects of Prozac:

A Spasm of the Larynx
Abnormal Liver Function Tests
Allergic Reaction causing Serum Sickness
Angle-Closure Glaucoma caused by Another Disease
Behaving with Excessive Cheerfulness and Activity
Bleeding of the Stomach or Intestines
Bronchospasm
Erythema Multiforme
Giant Hives
Having Thoughts of Suicide
Hepatitis caused by Drugs
Increased Risk of Bleeding
Inflammation of Skin caused by an Allergy
Life Threatening Allergic Reaction
Low Amount of Sodium in the Blood
Mild Degree of Mania
Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome
Prolonged Q-T Interval on EKG
Reaction due to an Allergy
Seizures
Serotonin Syndrome - Adverse Drug Interaction
Stomach or Intestinal Ulcer
Swollen Lymph Nodes
Throwing Up
Very Rapid Heartbeat - Torsades de Pointes
Abnormal Bleeding from the UterusLess
Abnormally Low Blood PressureLess
Difficult or Painful UrinationLess
Dilated PupilLess
Grinding of the TeethLess
Loss of MemoryLess
Loss of One's Own Sense of Reality or IdentityLess
Low Blood SugarLess
Mood ChangesLess
Sun-Sensitive SkinLess

Last edited:
My personal opinion is that they are over prescribed. People today seem to be taught they should never be down or have a feeling or learn a coping skill or two.There is a difference between feeling a little down every now and then and clinical depression.

That being said several of my friends are one some type of antidepressant. My 2 best friends have had a rough time with it. Both have been suicidal a few times. Their bodies adapt to the meds and then they have to change them or boost them with one or 2 other meds. Depending on what they are on they should avoid alcohol.

One of them would love to go off of them because she doesn't like a lot of the side effects but her brain chemicals or whatever have been so altered by years of meds that it will never happen.

The most important thing you need to know is that a small percentage of people who are severely depressed and take anti depressant meds get better after a few weeks..and kill themselves...watch out for this!!!

This. A cousin of mine had a lot of things in his life go sideways in a relatively short amount of time, he dealt with it as best he could and then tried counseling to get past some things he was having trouble with on his own and things started looking up. After a awhile they put him on meds and shortly later he found a great new job and it was looking like his life was getting back in order.

A few days before he was to start the new job his older brother found his body.

Gotta get everyone on at least one pill, SSRI's and lipid reducing agents seem to be the favorites. I probably know a lot of people on SSRI's but they don't discuss it. The one person I did now who was on them was interesting. She was the sweetest girl in the morning, but in the afternoon her state changed very noticeably and generally wasn't pleasant.

I'm not an MD and this isn't advice, but personal, anecdotal experience. I had some anxiety and depression (not diagnosed) in College and had a terrible time figuring out my place in life. I hated my major, but didn't know what to change to and was running out of money regardless. I had already taken out loans and was also fearful of how I would repay them and being in debt and directionless in life. It didn't help that my long-term girl friend had cheated on me while I was at Army basic training with the Guard and we broke up when I returned to school and found out. There were some days I struggled to get out of bed. I never went on meds and to this day have not taken any prescription meds throughout the ups and downs of life. I learned to deal with them and to try and focus my mind on the positive when life was kicking you in the balls. Things eventually worked out, a path forward from college showed itself and a lucrative career followed.

Prescription drugs are the easy way out for all our problems. Most people don't live lifestyles conducive to good health, including mental health. Just like with weight loss, they are looking for the quick fix. Drugs should be the last resort. Exercise is huge for mental health. For a male especially, hitting the gym and finding ways to exercise are important, both for self-esteem and health. Proper sleep and diet are also huge. Too many young people don't get enough sleep and eat terrible diets and wonder why their mind is foggy. Mentorship is something that is also overlooked for young people. Parents can give advise all day long and kids won't listen just it's their parent giving it. Some stranger gives the same advice and they listen. Find a mentor to help your son find his way in career and life. Someone who has had success and experience and can provide insight. This isn't easy, but it can have huge benefits. Often times the anxiety is due to fear of the unknown and the pressure of the responsibilities society puts on our shoulders. Young adults can be especially prone to feeling overwhelmed. Having someone provide some direction and guidance and be there to listen is often what's needed.

I have a close friend whose daughter has been on various drugs for her ADHD, anxiety, depression, sleep disorder, etc. since she was 13. She is now 18. She didn't graduate HS, and is trying to get her diploma via night school. She doesn't have her driver's license nor a job. My friend did everything he could to try and provide for her, get her a diploma, and find her way in life. The drugs have been a non-stop trial and error process and has generally not worked, other than to exhibit various side effects and make her miserable. I have other friends whose teens have been on anti-depressants. These kids are all missing the things I listed above. Covid lockdowns didn't help, but in my experience, those who had what I listed above did better than those who didn't. Now many of these kids will be dependent on prescription drugs for the rest of their lives, without even trying to find other ways to solve the problems at hand. God help them if/when they try and come off them.

Last, there have been many claims that many of the mass shootings suspects have been on SSRI's and come off their meds. I have seen first hand how psychotic someone can become when they stop taking their prescription meds for whatever reason. It happened to my mother. I won't speak to the validity of the claims regarding mass shootings and drugs, but there seems to be a correlation between the rise of mass shootings and the rise in the use of SSRI's. Correlation isn't causation, but if there is a link, it wouldn't surprise. Mental health is still in the dark ages, but I dare say after the issues with Covid vaccines, anyone looking to the health care system and specifically the pharmaceutical industry to save them is asking for problems.

I wish you the best in this and hope you and your son find a positive outcome.

Gotta get everyone on at least one pill, SSRI's and lipid reducing agents seem to be the favorites. I probably know a lot of people on SSRI's but they don't discuss it. The one person I did now who was on them was interesting. She was the sweetest girl in the morning, but in the afternoon her state changed very noticeably and generally wasn't pleasant.

I think in general SSRIs are f***ing terrifying but I think in some specific circumstances they might help someone that has no other choice.

Even amongst any kinds of psych drugs they should just be considered a drug of last resort though. Too many weird side effects. Too much weird shit from long term use,
etc.

Having tools in the toolkit is a good thing, but big pharma has proven time and again that it can't be trusted. I don't know what the stats ought to be, but it doesn't make evolutionary sense that a large percentage of people would suffer from depression and anxiety for innate physiological reasons, i.e. in the same way as a person might suffer from idiopathic epilepsy, the incidence of which is about 1 in 300. A quick search led to a figure of about 1 in 7 for having used SSRIs at some point, probably more. I get that there are psychological pressures in modern life that we're not adapted to handle so well, and chugging caffeinated Starbucks and Dunkin is probably not helping, but that kind of a number smells like big business exploiting the fact that people are generally stressed out and don't have coping skills.

I'm not an MD and this isn't advice, but personal, anecdotal experience. I had some anxiety and depression (not diagnosed) in College and had a terrible time figuring out my place in life. I hated my major, but didn't know what to change to and was running out of money regardless. I had already taken out loans and was also fearful of how I would repay them and being in debt and directionless in life. It didn't help that my long-term girl friend had cheated on me while I was at Army basic training with the Guard and we broke up when I returned to school and found out. There were some days I struggled to get out of bed. I never went on meds and to this day have not taken any prescription meds throughout the ups and downs of life. I learned to deal with them and to try and focus my mind on the positive when life was kicking you in the balls. Things eventually worked out, a path forward from college showed itself and a lucrative career followed.

Prescription drugs are the easy way out for all our problems. Most people don't live lifestyles conducive to good health, including mental health. Just like with weight loss, they are looking for the quick fix. Drugs should be the last resort. Exercise is huge for mental health. For a male especially, hitting the gym and finding ways to exercise are important, both for self-esteem and health. Proper sleep and diet are also huge. Too many young people don't get enough sleep and eat terrible diets and wonder why their mind is foggy. Mentorship is something that is also overlooked for young people. Parents can give advise all day long and kids won't listen just it's their parent giving it. Some stranger gives the same advice and they listen. Find a mentor to help your son find his way in career and life. Someone who has had success and experience and can provide insight. This isn't easy, but it can have huge benefits. Often times the anxiety is due to fear of the unknown and the pressure of the responsibilities society puts on our shoulders. Young adults can be especially prone to feeling overwhelmed. Having someone provide some direction and guidance and be there to listen is often what's needed.

I have a close friend whose daughter has been on various drugs for her ADHD, anxiety, depression, sleep disorder, etc. since she was 13. She is now 18. She didn't graduate HS, and is trying to get her diploma via night school. She doesn't have her driver's license nor a job. My friend did everything he could to try and provide for her, get her a diploma, and find her way in life. The drugs have been a non-stop trial and error process and has generally not worked, other than to exhibit various side effects and make her miserable. I have other friends whose teens have been on anti-depressants. These kids are all missing the things I listed above. Covid lockdowns didn't help, but in my experience, those who had what I listed above did better than those who didn't. Now many of these kids will be dependent on prescription drugs for the rest of their lives, without even trying to find other ways to solve the problems at hand. God help them if/when they try and come off them.

Last, there have been many claims that many of the mass shootings suspects have been on SSRI's and come off their meds. I have seen first hand how psychotic someone can become when they stop taking their prescription meds for whatever reason. It happened to my mother. I won't speak to the validity of the claims regarding mass shootings and drugs, but there seems to be a correlation between the rise of mass shootings and the rise in the use of SSRI's. Correlation isn't causation, but if there is a link, it wouldn't surprise. Mental health is still in the dark ages, but I dare say after the issues with Covid vaccines, anyone looking to the health care system and specifically the pharmaceutical industry to save them is asking for problems.

I wish you the best in this and hope you and your son find a positive outcome.

I think for MOST people this is the case but I also think there are entire segments of our society that are just nuttier than squirrel turds intrinsically upstairs, changing their habit or diets isnt going to make them not f***ed up. Drugs are the last stop for them (Well, now before the looney bin that barely exists anymore. )

On the other hand, going back, I also think putting children on these things is stupid without trying other forms of therapy that doesnt involve continuous drugs first. I think that's pretty reckless.

Not to mention out of all the brain drugs, SSRIs are not as well understood...nor is the drug response, linear in all people.

The only thing I can add to this is to make sure they know you need to slowly ramp up to the dosage and slowly ramp down if you decide to stop it. Prozac eliminates the need for any birth control in that it kills your desire and your ability to get a, well you can figure out the rest

I think for MOST people this is the case but I also think there are entire segments of our society that are just nuttier than squirrel turds intrinsically upstairs, changing their habit or diets isnt going to make them not f***ed up. Drugs are the last stop for them (Well, now before the looney bin that barely exists anymore. )

On the other hand, going back, I also think putting children on these things is stupid without trying other forms of therapy that doesnt involve continuous drugs first. I think that's pretty reckless.

Not to mention out of all the brain drugs, SSRIs are not as well understood...nor is the drug response, linear in all people.

Yeah, I agree with this, and maybe it didn't come through in my long-winded post. I think putting kids on mind-altering drugs that have major side effects and can cause severe psychotic episodes while taking or if you stop is reckless. Similar to allowing kids to change their sex and take puberty blockers. The "Science" is not well known in terms of puberty and development and this is especially the case with the brain. Heck, most experts agree that the brain doesn't stop developing in young adults until well into the 20's while the body completes it's growth phase sometime between 14 and 18 for most males and females. Long term impacts are rarely considered. I also understand that most mental illnesses start to show themselves in the late teens and early 20's. Again, have they even tried any treatment other than drugs? Seems most shrinks go right to the pharmaceuticals. One doesn't work, lets try another. Well, why didn't one work? Why does this different drug work? They can't answer that, and yet this is our mental health process at work.

I also didn't mention it in my previous post, but religion, or more specifically finding God can help quite a bit. As the saying goes, "There are no atheists in foxholes", when things are looking bad, praying and having a relationship with God can do wonders for your ability to persevere through the difficult parts. Faith is important to the health of the mind. I can remember specific times I've been at major lows in my life and prayed and it always helped. It helped me weather the immediate storm and it helped put me on the path to a much better place. Maybe this sounds trite in our secular society today, but many of society's ills today would be less of an issue if more people had the faith and relationship with God that previous generations have had. I certainly believe the mental health crisis today is a symptom of an unhealthy society and it's lack of faith is a piece of that puzzle.

I know a fair number of people who are on antidepressants. Which leads me to think that knowing me is not good for peoples' mental health. That aside, none of them have gone crazy, had medical problems attributable to SSRIs, or anything but feeling better about things.

My daughter even has a cat that is on Prozac. He's not depressed, but he is an a$$hole and bites anyone that comes near him, including my daughter. Any normal person would have either kicked him out or returned him to a shelter, but my daughter is just that compassionate.

There is one downside to any antidepressant not matter what kind. Often when people are prescribed the drugs, they are suicidal but not energetic to do anything about it. Antidepressants may just give them enough energy to harm themselves or try. This well predates SSRIs. In the 1970s and 1980s, Tricyclic antidepressants were the first big drug to treat depression. They worked well, but the difference between the therapeutic and lethal doses were not all that far apart. It's very cardiotoxic and kills pretty quickly.

Back when it was big, we could see a patient go from awake, talking, oriented, to dead in about 20 minutes. Caught early enough it was treatable with IV fluid and Sodium bicarb.

Sorry for the drift, but the point is that any antidepressant and in fact any medication can be dangerous if used incorrectly.

Get him a hooker,some acid and have him take a magical mystery tour Now on the serious side you, and his mother have taken him on emotional
parent ride, playing who the mother or father for the day.Parents breaking up, and other people coming into the show can really fu^k up kids for
life.The mother from what you are saying seems to be a little on the flaky side wanting to push drugs on her kid as the fix all.Well those drugs could open up a
whole other can of worms that might not be fixable.Your Son,his mother,and you should all go together for some treatment.That might help more than any drug
could.

The only thing I can add to this is to make sure they know you need to slowly ramp up to the dosage and slowly ramp down if you decide to stop it. Prozac eliminates the need for any birth control in that it kills your desire and your ability to get a, well you can figure out the rest
Now that is something to really feel depressed about.

Reminds me of how some guys use steroids to body build - presumably to get girls. But the steroids ruin their bodies and they can't even perform if they do get a girl. The steroids shrink everything.

Or, with hair loss, guys will take Propecia. Trouble is you'll go impotent. So, they blame not having a girl on their hair loss but now they can't even perform.

Nowadays lots of people see psychologists. That's what I would try first before the drugs.

If I took a drug that would ruin a good woody - I'd be more depressed than anything.

But, then again, if I were super depressed, I'd rather be alive even if it meant having a limp noodle.

I presume those symptoms are reversible.

I must tell of my newer exercise routine that I started this Spring. I have been going for walks 2 or 3 times a week and my Apple Watch keeps track. These walks really get the juices flowing and have turned me even more into a horny toad. An hour after going for walks I feel very euphoric. Even though I had no dysfunction before or depression - I feel that if a depressed or low functioning male would just get out for an 45 minute brisk walk - even they would feel amazing after a walk.

I also went for a couple bike rides since replacing the hard seat on my Fat Bike with a soft seat. I can say with certainty that the increased blood flow of exercise and a bit of sweating will turn you into a super stud.

When I return home, my girlfriend (who is an underwear model) can't wait for me to return. And, she also likes how I smell after exercise.

Since this is a necropost - OP needs to update us.

His son is 7 years older than when this was first posted.

Wishing you the best. Had a similar post to this back in 2020 or so. Not over things yet, but doing a bit better than then in many ways. Still stuck in a rut in other ways. PM if you want to talk OP.

anyone looking to the health care system and specifically the pharmaceutical industry to save them is asking for problems
the more i live - more i get very certain that absolutely nothing that humans made artificially is good for a human health mid and long term. even damn tylenol is now, apparently, causing some harm.
and people who are out of their own laziness and negligence put their own kids on mental altering medication for life, instead of giving those kids more love and attention - it is just sad. there are of course cases where medication is the only answer, but it is definitely overly abused by those who just want an easy way out.

I know a fair number of people who are on antidepressants. Which leads me to think that knowing me is not good for peoples' mental health. That aside, none of them have gone crazy, had medical problems attributable to SSRIs, or anything but feeling better about things.

My daughter even has a cat that is on Prozac. He's not depressed, but he is an a$$hole and bites anyone that comes near him, including my daughter. Any normal person would have either kicked him out or returned him to a shelter, but my daughter is just that compassionate.

There is one downside to any antidepressant not matter what kind. Often when people are prescribed the drugs, they are suicidal but not energetic to do anything about it. Antidepressants may just give them enough energy to harm themselves or try. This well predates SSRIs. In the 1970s and 1980s, Tricyclic antidepressants were the first big drug to treat depression. They worked well, but the difference between the therapeutic and lethal doses were not all that far apart. It's very cardiotoxic and kills pretty quickly.

Back when it was big, we could see a patient go from awake, talking, oriented, to dead in about 20 minutes. Caught early enough it was treatable with IV fluid and Sodium bicarb.

Sorry for the drift, but the point is that any antidepressant and in fact any medication can be dangerous if used incorrectly.

I think that SSRIs are particularly f***ing terrifying though, in the sense that they're not always very predictable. I had a family member on paxil for a short time and thankfully their spouse ended that shit, the guy was basically on planet Zebulon on even a low dose. It was pretty obvious to see how those things could potentially play a role in creating violent mass-shooter zombie types.

I agree with this 100%

It is tough at first, but after a month or two when you start to see results, it becomes kind of addicting in a good way.

I was kind of an outcast as a teen, but got into weights when I was 20. It changed my life at the time. You gain confidence, girls start chasing you and guys treat you with respect.

It's also a social thing and you meet some cool people if you go to the right gym. The problem is getting him started. Go with him hire a personal trainer three days a week that will hound him to go.

I can also recommend taking some Martial arts classes from a reputable trainer. Does wonders for confidence and self awareness.
I might be able to say I can relate to him, since your description of him would fit me as well at that time.
I have been training in Goju Ryu since college and the experience changed my life.

Ssris are poison.
I’m not a doctor, but, the evidence of how bad ssri’s are is pretty damning. Watch some of Jordan Peterson’s dealings with long term use for depression and it’s frightening what they did to him. I think there is a very small percentage of people who truly should be on these drugs, but, a pill a day makes everything ok!

I knew someone who was severely bipolar and when she was off her meds she was a menace to herself and others, so I know there are people who really need meds to function in society, but I think most of them are over-diagnosed like with ADD meds for kids.

I’m not a doctor, but, the evidence of how bad ssri’s are is pretty damning. Watch some of Jordan Peterson’s dealings with long term use for depression and it’s frightening what they did to him. I think there is a very small percentage of people who truly should be on these drugs, but, a pill a day makes everything ok!

I knew someone who was severely bipolar and when she was off her meds she was a menace to herself and others, so I know there are people who really need meds to function in society, but I think most of them are over-diagnosed like with ADD meds for kids.

I don't know why we as a society think it's needed or ok to medicate the majority of people who have problems. perhaps they have problems because our society is garbage, people don't exercise, their jobs suck and are unrewarding, poor diet, stuck indoors all day, etc.

We're getting it all wrong. The majority of people who are "mentally ill" are sick because most stuff about our day to day lives goes directly against how our bodies evolved to flourish on this planet.

Instead drug them off their ass, make money and shut the f*** up.

Now our doctors are supporting cutting prepubescents kids testicles off, removing childrens breasts and ovaries, etc. f*** these people.

maybe i didn't read the post closely enough...who's putting him on prozac? his pc? is he seeing a shrink?

I don't know why we as a society think it's needed or ok to medicate the majority of people who have problems. perhaps they have problems because our society is garbage, people don't exercise, their jobs suck and are unrewarding, poor diet, stuck indoors all day, etc.

We're getting it all wrong. The majority of people who are "mentally ill" are sick because most stuff about our day to day lives goes directly against how our bodies evolved to flourish on this planet.

Instead drug them off their ass, make money and shut the f*** up.

Now our doctors are supporting cutting prepubescents kids testicles off, removing childrens breasts and ovaries, etc. f*** these people.

Yup. Being depressed or anxious is a totally normal reaction to clown world. Then they want to load you up on expensive taxpayer subsidized mind altering medications while telling you that marijuana and psilocybin are dangerous.

They're nothing but glorified drug dealers.

If SSRI's worked there would be a black market for them and or people would abuse them.

But since their is no black market use and not a single f***ing person on this planet would even think about taking more than they had to, well, it's obvious garbage.

I'm not sure what I want this thread to be about. I guess I'll just start.

My college senior son recently informed me that he's going on Prozac. In my opinion, he's a great, normal kid just going through life, and shouldn't need to do this. He's had a non-typical upbringing (my ex and I split when he was 5. I re-married, she did too but is now re-divorced). I've been the 'custodial parent' since he was 13 or so. Both my sons moved here with lots of back and forth visitation up until his senior year in HS when she screwed up and they didn't talk much for a while. Relations have improved recently, but she just moved to FL a couple weeks ago.

He's a very smart kid. Takes advanced placement and honors classes throughout high school and college (scholarships). He's always been content to spend time alone, reading, game-playing, etc. He is musical, and plays several instruments including guitar and bass.

He's confident in many situations (with co-workers, school-, band-, and room-mates, etc.) I have SEEN him be an effective leader and organizer. He has a small circle of good friends, and a looser group of acquaintances.

At the same time he's awkward and uncomfortable in other settings (certain social and family situations, girls, etc.). He is not into sports at all. He's tall, slim, and most would say, handsome (minus a lifetime of bad haircuts). He does wear glasses.

He has a good understanding of a lot of the "bad" going on in the world (thanks to the Internet, and growing up with instant access to news and events), and seems to take a lot of weight on his shoulders for things that are out of his control. My wife said that a few years ago he related to her that he'd had thoughts of "what would life be like without him" but hadn't actually contemplated doing anything to harm himself.

He says he finds himself in an annoyed or frustrated mood (I think he gets a lot of this from me), and that as much as he tries, he can't "will himself" to be happy or in a good mood. I think he maybe regrets some choices he's made, wrt his choice of college major, and has some significant concerns as to how he's going to make his way in the world. He knows he doesn't want to go it alone in life, and doesn't want to grow to be a multiple cat-loving forty year-old virgin.

His counselor, and his mother (who I recently learned from him has been on it for two years), both recommended he consider Prozac. He's done a shit-ton of research, and really wants to give it a try to see if it helps provide the desired result -- that being a happier him who is more upbeat and sociable.

If it helps him enough to where he can find a girlfriend (or Hell, even just get laid), I think that monkey off his back would give him the boost of confidence to get OFF the pills and get on with life.

I'd like to hear from anyone who's either been on an SSRI such as this, or is involved with a close family member or friend, to gain some perspective above and beyond what's in the literature.

How prevalent and severe are the possible side-effects? As a father, I think I'm most concerned about the issue of "side-effects," whether physical or psychological. I don't want to lose any part of my son.

To make this "board related" I will say that I am already taking steps to keep my guns even more secure than they already are. All guns are always locked when not under my direct control. He's a chef, so I can't do much about other dangers he may come into contact with.

Thank you in advance for your thoughtful responses.

Your description of his mental state, he sounds like a typical young man...

I would prescribe a hooker to solve the "frustration" and a dog to solve to companionship.

Throwing serious meds like prozac at "Young Man Syndrome" is IMO a recipe for disaster.

On the other hand, if you get a "uh oh" vibe from him (I didn't get that from your description), then take appropriate steps...

If you posted his pic (DON'T!) would our reaction be "oh yeah, he's gonna snap" or would it be "he looks like a nice kid. I wonder if he'd like my cousin Pheobe?"

Your description of his mental state, he sounds like a typical young man...

I would prescribe a hooker to solve the "frustration" and a dog to solve to companionship.

Throwing serious meds like prozac at "Young Man Syndrome" is IMO a recipe for disaster.

On the other hand, if you get a "uh oh" vibe from him (I didn't get that from your description), then take appropriate steps...

If you posted his pic (DON'T!) would our reaction be "oh yeah, he's gonna snap" or would it be "he looks like a nice kid. I wonder if he'd like my cousin Pheobe?"

Friggin @Waher... [laugh]

@StevieP, any update on the kid? It's been 7 years. We need to know how this turned out.

Back
Top Bottom