• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Friendly deer

Wickedcoolname

NES Member
This deer won't leave me alone. It showed up last year and now it comes by every afternoon. It eats from my hand and likes it's nose scratched. Sometimes she brings her two fauns with her. Other times they wait nearby while she follows me around.

Attachments

• IMG_20181117_163638077_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    IMG_20181117_163638077_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 520
Watch for ticks. I've never shot one that didn't have a half dozen of them clinging to it at least.

Odd behavior for it to be that unafraid of you, though. Especially with young.

Maybe raised by people and released?

Better not think about it too much, when you realize they're not meat robots but individuals with emotions, attachments and self awareness it just makes things more complicated.

Talk about friendly deer?

I've called in 4 bucks and two does within 8 feet of me in the past three days. Amazing how curious they are and how close they will get when they cannot catch your scent and when you remain perfectly still.

I need to start hunting with a 44mag pistol as a rifle is too difficult to manipulate at such close range.

They all got a pass. The season is still young.

They are pretty bold when they feel there is no threat.
Once they associate you with food they can be a down right pain in the ass.

I was taking pictures of it again yesterday and it actually licked my cellphone.

great shot lol...im fascinated with nature so I think its cool...Im also not a hunter ...so like some one mentioned just check for ticks and enjoy your outings with her...side note, my friend in W Virginia all last year had a big doe come to her house daily and kinda play with her dogs...they would chase each other around the property....she sent me a ton of videos.. I know they are wild and can F*** you up......but she obviously trusts you.

Maybe raised by people and released?

Better not think about it too much, when you realize they're not meat robots but individuals with emotions, attachments and self awareness it just makes things more complicated.
Looks to be a 70-80 pound doe. Perfect eating deer in my opinion. All I see is those beautiful backtraps in my smoker.

IMG_20180721_181323204.jpg

Enjoy the deer while you can. A deer that friendly is bound to become a victim.

One way or another. I get past my empathy for the animals I eat by remembering nature is far crueler than man. Years ago I had to clean up the remains of a deer in my front yard, torn almost in half by (I assume) coyotes, with dozens of square yards of snow painted with blood. A quick death is so much more merciful than being eaten alive.

How unethical/illegal would it be to rub in some Frontline Plus while petting a wild deer? Clear those ticks right up...

I was taking pictures of it again yesterday and it actually licked my cellphone.
She's trying to spread her zombie brain disease to you!

Infectious prions are carried by the saliva of deer with chronic wasting disease (CWD).
fallow-deer-602253-960-720.jpg

One way or another. I get past my empathy for the animals I eat by remembering nature is far crueler than man. Years ago I had to clean up the remains of a deer in my front yard, torn almost in half by (I assume) coyotes, with dozens of square yards of snow painted with blood. A quick death is so much more merciful than being eaten alive.
Yup. I’ve seen deer go down in the wild to predation. If I was a deer I’d take a arrow or bullet in the end all day long and twice on sundays.

I saw half a deer in the travel lane of 128 N. in Waltham a few nights ago, had to swerve to miss it.
The guy pulled over a few hundred yards up the road wasn't so lucky.

My girlfriend was walking in the woods a couple weeks ago with her dog and they came across this lone doe. Her dog went up to it and the thing went from one extreme to the other. Knocked down her dog and started slapping him with her hooves. Luckily she was able to scare the deer away but the dog was terrified and whimpering

A few years ago was at the range in Gloucester with a few others shooting and one point turned around there was a deer,a doe I think casually walking around watching us shoot. Thought that the sound of gun fire would scare it off. Stuck around for 5 maybe 10 min then walked calmly back into the woods.

Back
Top Bottom