Friend visiting w/pistol?

I've got a friend coming up from Georgia in July. She does not have a MA LTC. I have an LTC-A restrictions-none. Short of her getting a non-res LTC, is there any way we can leagaly get her pistol into the state while she is here? It is a Walther P-22 and I believe it has a MA compliant magazine.

She could fly into Manchester airport and you can take possession of the pistol before you cross the MA border if she is flying. If she is driving then you would have to meet her over border and take possession before crossing back, but I'm not sure how that would effect FOPA. I don't think she could mail it to herself either at your address, because she would have to be in possession to recieve the package. I'm not sure if she could ship it to an in-state FFL either, as they'd probably have to transfer the firearm to you.

Why does she want to bring the pistol with her? P22s are a dime a dozen and honestly not worth the hassle.

Thanks for the replies. She is driving, and stopping in CT before hand. If the stopping in CT is a problem, we could probably meet at the border.

This question may be hypothetical at this point in any case as plans have changed and it looks like we may only make one trip to the range while she is here. Probably not worth the trouble for a couple hours of shooting.

Getting it into the state is not a problem. Driving or flying.

It most certainly would be a problem. She cannot possess a handgun in MA without an LTC. There are some exceptions, but they do not apply in this instance.

Couldnt she just lock it up in the trunk?

No.

dingbat said:
She is driving, and stopping in CT before hand

She's going to have problems in CT as well.

dingbat said:
Probably not worth the trouble for a couple hours of shooting.

I concur.

Last edited:
It most certainly would be a problem. She cannot possess a handgun in MA without an LTC. There are some exceptions, but they do not apply in this instance.

So is there any way she could loan it to me through an FFL and I could let her shoot it at my club or something along those lines?

So is there any way she could loan it to me through an FFL and I could let her shoot it at my club or something along those lines?

As long as you have possession of it while it is in MA (by meeting her at a border) you'd be ok. I doubt an FFL would be willing to be a go between, however, without a formal transfer. And since she's not allowed to have possession of the handgun herself (either in MA or in CT), she's not even protected by FOPA while traveling through intervening state (i.e. NY/NJ).

Ah, so if she drove straight to Vermont and I met her at the Vermont/Mass border and took possession, would that be kosher?

Edit: Then would I have to go straight to an FFL, or is a loan o.k. without that and we do the whole process in reverse when she leaves?

Understand please, I'm just currious at this point what rediculousness I would have to go through to make this legit.

Last edited:
This is a lot of trouble just to be able to get her to bring her gun for some range shooting. With the gas spent by the both of you to get to VT, you could probably buy another gun.

So with or without the FFL part?

Without. Federal law allows your out-of-state friend to loan you her pistol for temporary sporting purposes without needing to get an FFL involved. This is exactly what you're proposing, so you're good to go. The only tricky part is getting the gun into the state when she's not licensed in MA. Meeting her at the VT border solves that problem.

This is a lot of trouble just to be able to get her to bring her gun for some range shooting. With the gas spent by the both of you to get to VT, you could probably buy another gun.

Yeah, it just crossed the line into morbid curriosity a couple-few posts back.

Without. Federal law allows your out-of-state friend to loan you her pistol for temporary sporting purposes without needing to get an FFL involved. This is exactly what you're proposing, so you're good to go. The only tricky part is getting the gun into the state when she's not licensed in MA. Meeting her at the VT border solves that problem.

Thanks a billion.

It's generally too much of a pain in the ass for visitors to bring guns to MA legally, unless whatever they're bringing fits under the narrow exemptions in
the laws; but generally most of the time that isn't the case. The only way it works efficiently is if a licensed person is bringing the person in and out of MHT or some other non-communist airport and maintaining possession until the person leaves.

-Mike

I don't know...i mean i have known of out of state people who bring in handguns and just leave them in the hotel/house they are staying here in CT...

I don't know...i mean i have known of out of state people who bring in handguns and just leave them in the hotel/house they are staying here in CT...

Doesn't make it legal! [thinking]

I used to work with a young, single mom who bought a handgun for protection on the streets in NYC. She still had it when she moved to MA IIRC and never had any licenses. What does that prove? [shocked] [BTW: This conversation occurred in 1980.]

Back
Top Bottom