• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Friend looking for a carry gun

I have a friend who has had his gun license for a few years but does not have a gun. He does want to get one but there is a problem. He has weak hands due to the fact that he has Muscular Dystrophy. My question to you guys is if anybody has any suggestions on carry guns for him. I have a couple of glocks and he can not fire them accurately due to the weakness in his hands. Any suggestions would be appreciated. And of course we live in MA so that makes the choices even less. He really feels as though he should have the ability to protect himself. Thanks for your help in advance.

Has he tried a .38 revolver?

Some mass there, may help with the recoil.
No mags to load... Just a thought.

What exactly is the issue? It is a question of the glock being too heavy?
Or is the issue working the trigger, due to trigger pull weight or other issues?
Or is the issue the ability to hit the target due to shakiness??
Is he up and around or in a wheel chair?

Thoughts and prayers for your friend. MS is a tragedy for the person suffering from it and those around them that care for them.

What exactly is the issue? It is a question of the glock being too heavy?
Or is the issue working the trigger, due to trigger pull weight or other issues?
Or is the issue the ability to hit the target due to shakiness??
Is he up and around or in a wheel chair?

Thoughts and prayers for your friend. MS is a tragedy for the person suffering from it and those around them that care for them.

Yeah, when I first read this I felt that this is not the best disease to have if one wants to shoot a pistol, depending on how far progressed it is. Maybe a .380 ppk or even a .32 tomcat may be more manageable for him. They are lighter, less recoil and smaller. Any .38 revolver is going to be tough because they tend to be heavier than pistols and the lack of a slide means all of the recoil is transmitted to the arm instead of just some of it.

If he's looking at .38 revolvers, and he has weak hands, make sure he doesn't go for a hammerless model. I have the hammerless S&W442 and it's kind of a pain in the balls.

Does he have the strength and dexterity left to be able to safely handle a gun? A few years back I taught a woman who had severe arthritis in her hands and had several artificial finger joints. She simply couldn't do it safely -- she couldn't control her fingers well enough to safely handle a gun.

We do need to find out a little more about the problem. If he has a hard time pulling a trigger forget the .38 revolver. The trigger is very heavy on a .38 revolver but the airweights are very light. It also takes a little bit of strength to cock the hammer. I think I may not be the only one willing to do this but I have a S&W 637 and a Sig P239. I also have snap caps for the two guns. I'm in your are so if you want to arrange a spot to try them out for size I'd be more than happy to. You can also work your way to a few gun shops around here and explain the situation and maybe the gun shop owner can have your friend try out the trigger pull and weight. My suggestion would be something like a .25 Baby Browning. There's a safety on it so he could carry cocked and locked and would only have to disengage the safety and pull. Good Luck and PM if you want to take me up on my offer.

Actually it's a sin that Beretta no longer produces this pistol, I think this would fit his request.

Beretta86Cheetah380ACP.jpg

Beretta 86 .380

replies

Thank you all for your replies. The issue I believe is both trigger pull and racking the slide. He actually has muscular dystrophy. It affects all the muscles in his body. I think if we found the right pistol he could operate it safely. again thanks for all the comments.

Back
Top Bottom