• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Friend found an old gun in the basement

I have a friend who bought a house and found an old gun in the basement. He does not have his LTC of FID, what steps should he take to sell it or transfer it?
Thanks

Simple - you and he can go to your local gun shop to sell or consign it.

Or - you take it, fill out an eFA10 to transfer it to you, and then sell it to a licensed MA resident face-to-face.

WHAT IS IT ? Might be worth $5 or $50,000.

Can he transfer it to me on an E FA-10? doesn't it ask for the seller's LTC # and won't he need a pin # or are you talking about a paper FA-10?

Both the buyer and the seller need a valid license in MA. The seller's license number is required with either the paper for or the electronic version.

So he can't transfer it to me on a FA-10, we should go to a FFL and he can have it transferred there?

yup take possession and then go to the FFL.........done

Also what is it? and how bad is it buggered?

it was in a basement for a while so it's probably not in great shape. I trade you a cookie for it and i wont offer anything else.

So he can't transfer it to me on a FA-10, we should go to a FFL and he can have it transferred there?

Legally speaking, yes. (Assuming it's something that a MA FFL will transfer.)

Of course if a tree falls in the woods and there's nobody there to hear it.....

I have a friend who bought a house and found an old gun in the basement. He does not have his LTC of FID, what steps should he take to sell it or transfer it?
Thanks

Any more information on the gun would be helpful. Nothing says he didn't find an old BB gun.

Quite frankly, if its an old basement find then there is a good chance that it was never registered to anyone. It does not exist, but to make things "hunky dory" in lib land you can take possession and (remember, an e FA-10 can be used for personal transfer, purchase or registration) just register it in your name. Done. What have you done? Taken an unregistered arm and lawfully registered it. There are other alternatives as presented in earlier responses....

Some FFL's will transfer pretty much any Pre-Ban Handgun. Others won't.

Some require a C&R for anything over 50 years old.

Odds are whatever it is, it's ancient, rusty, cheap and nasty.

Unless it was Grandpa's War Trophy........

I don't care what it is. Please just follow up with a pic at the least. I'm looking for a rusty project gun so keep me in mind if trying to sell it.

If you want to stay truly legal, you cannot FA10 it to yourself. To say otherwise is bad advice!
I've used eFA-10 to transfer firearms to myself - had to. They came from out-of-state to me as a C&R FFL-03. In fact, I'm legally required to eFA-10 them to myself.

But the main thing is we all look at this gun. If it's a rusted solid Iver Johnson, time for the trash. Not worth the time or money.

But if it's decent, yes, bringing it to a Gun Dealer to buy or transfer simplifies things a lot.

If we can see it I'm certain you'll get appraisals aplenty.

Back
Top Bottom