• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"Free" Mylar bags

Just emptied another coffee bag today and actually looked at it - aside from the vacuum "button" where the mfgr vacuum seals the contents, it's just like the ones you can order on line - that got me thinking.

Why can't I just reuse the bag for "whatever"? I can use the Foodsaver to vac it tight once packed and resealed.

Has anyone else thought of this? Results?

I've tried it with a couple of different types of bags with varied results.
If it is a coffee bag most anything stored in it will smell/taste of coffee so consider that when you choose what to put in it. Sometimes the button where they vacuum seal it doesn't hold and the vacuum is lost in my limited experience.

Still worth a try.

Coffee remnants should wipe out with a wet paper towel or give it a quick warm water rinse out.

No real need to vacuum it, just seal it with a large enough oxygen absorber and it'll take care of any residual oxygen in there.

You could also nitrogen purge it if you're willing to get a bottle and regulator.

A regular clothes iron at about 3/4 setting and a piece of wood to iron against should make a good seal.

Back
Top Bottom