• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Free Gun Lock Raffle/Giveaway/ The Winners Are.....

C-pher said:
Now, trigger locks, those I could use.

Actually - give me a cable lock any day. How many of you know that trigger locks on a hand gun DO NOT make it incapable of firing?? We show our students in each class with the revolver. I haven't tried it on a semi as yet, but I'm sure if you try hard enough, it will still fire.

Yea, but I have a .380 that you can't get the cable lock thought unless you take off the whole slide. Then, when you do that, what's the point of a lock? And I'm looking for it just for occasional transport, not storage. It would just be easier than taking it apart. And that's only when I don't have it in a case.

But I know what you're saying. I have like 15 or so cable locks. So that I really don't need.

Lynne,

How many of you know that trigger locks on a hand gun DO NOT make it incapable of firing??

For single actions this is most certainly true. For double actions, though, I thought that if you put the post BEHIND the trigger, the gun cannot fire. Is this incorrect?

Jay G said:
Lynne,

How many of you know that trigger locks on a hand gun DO NOT make it incapable of firing??

For single actions this is most certainly true. For double actions, though, I thought that if you put the post BEHIND the trigger, the gun cannot fire. Is this incorrect?

It depends on the pistol. Some pistols won't fire even if you put it in front of the trigger. Unless, of course, you chisel out all the stops so the lock will slide enough to pull the trigger.

Martlet said:
Jay G said:
Lynne,

It depends on the pistol. Some pistols won't fire even if you put it in front of the trigger. Unless, of course, you chisel out all the stops so the lock will slide enough to pull the trigger.

Some pistols won't take it behind the trigger. We use a DA Ruger Security Six as one of our demo's in class. Ed puts on the lock - shows them they can still cock it and if he wiggles the TL - it goes Bang. When I have some time, I'll try it on some of our other hand guns. And, the stops have not been chiseled out of the TL. What I'm pointing out here is don't get complacent about a trigger lock keeping your firearm safe from firing - depending on the gun, depending on how careful you are about putting in on, the gun will still go bang.

Lynne said:
Martlet said:
Jay G said:
Lynne,

Some pistols won't take it behind the trigger. We use a DA Ruger Security Six as one of our demo's in class. Ed puts on the lock - shows them they can still cock it and if he wiggles the TL - it goes Bang. When I have some time, I'll try it on some of our other hand guns. And, the stops have not been chiseled out of the TL. What I'm pointing out here is don't get complacent about a trigger lock keeping your firearm safe from firing - depending on the gun, depending on how careful you are about putting in on, the gun will still go bang.

I wasn't trying to belittle your point. Sorry if I gave that impression. An improperly applied trigger lock can be fired as well as some models even when properly placed lock.

On a similar topic, I loaned a friend a cable lock a few months ago - he has a Marlin .22, and while talking with him I found out that 1) he had let his FID lapse because of layoffs and finances, and 2) he didn't have a lock for this gun.

Well, I promptly grabbed a cable lock and gave it to him, and told him that next time I was down (it was supposed to be within a few days), I'd transport the rifle to a safe and legal resting place - ie, my house - until he got an FID or carry permit again.

Well, when I went down there, he'd hid the rifle so well that his wife and son couldn't even find it!! I got down there again a week ago, and I did pick it up, and I was shocked to see the cable lock hanging open from the action.

then I looked more closely at and saw that it was a Marlin with a tube magazine... and unlike my Ruger 10-22, there WAS no place for the cable to go through! That was a lesson in humility... that I don't know everything. Every so often the universe needs to remind me...

It's now residing in my gun closet with a proper trigger lock on it. :)

Ross

Martlet said:
I wasn't trying to belittle your point. Sorry if I gave that impression. An improperly applied trigger lock can be fired as well as some models even when properly placed lock.

I didn't think you were, dear, just making sure my point got across. :D

Man, I wait 'til the last minute for EVERYthing.

Thanks for sponsoring this drawing.

(I figure if I win, I'll just have to buy a revolver and an AR-15 so the locks don't go unused.)

Thanks to everyone who participated.
The winners will be announced later this afternoon. I was going to have my youngest draw the names first thing today but we all got up late this morning [oops] . As soon as she gets off the bus, I'll have her pick the winners.
Jon

Thanks Jon!

Congrats to Adam and Massochusetts . . . now you'll have to post back what guns you bought to fit the locks! [twisted]

(sniffle)
I would like to first of all thank god. Without the big man, I wouldn't be here! I would like to thank my mom and dad, and all the little people who supported me along my way! :D

Seriously...
Thanks a bunch! Now I am going to have to take a trip to FS and see what I can get!
Any suggestions?

Adam

Adam_MA said:
(sniffle)
I would like to first of all thank god. Without the big man, I wouldn't be here! I would like to thank my mom and dad, and all the little people who supported me along my way! :D

Seriously...
Thanks a bunch! Now I am going to have to take a trip to FS and see what I can get!
Any suggestions?

Adam

AR15

:D

Adam_MA said:
I would love to own a 1911 style .45
What would you recommend that won't break the bank?

Adam

Ya me too. The new Para's look pretty good but I haven't seen any reviews. Just under $700 I believe.

There were a lot of us shooting S&W 1911s at the Randy Cain class.

Excellent gun and if you keep your eyes peeled for a gently used one, you can save some serious money over the competition.

I bought mine last Oct/Nov at Four Seasons for $550! It was a consignment gun, probably didn't have more than a couple hundred rounds thru it. Owner's Wife got pregnant and they needed the cash, so they gave it to Carl on consignment! Snap!

Jeez... No I am getting all excited about adding a 1911 to my safe!
:D :D

I think you guys are corrupting me!

Adam

Back
Top Bottom